cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

amdnovice
Adept I

system crash on start up

I just bought a RX 480 second hand. But, it seems to be causing problems to my system. I run a 2400g processor 8gb ram on a msi gaming pro motherboard. The card is a Asus rx 480.
The problem is it seems to be causing my system to crash on start up. It only happens when the AMD drivers load up. It loads to log on screen just fine and then I sign in and everything looks good. When the AMD drivers load up the screen turns black. This only happens about 1 in 4 restarts.
It was turning on and instead of going black it would give me a checkered board appeareance on the screen. I did some tinkering with the system and looking around and I changed the power cable that goes to the card and turned off integrated graphics in mother board bios. Integrated graphics was turned to auto. I turned it to disabled. Thinking maybe the 2400g was conflicting with the graphic card. Now instead of checkerboards the screen just goes black...about 1 in 4 restarts.
I also removed the card and did a number of hard restarts trying to simulate the problem without the card and then everything works fine. It only happens with the card in.
If I can get past the start up phase of my PC where everything is loading for the first time. Then the graphics work great. It passes all the benchmarks. It runs games at solid temps. It does really well. It gets good temps and good numbers.
I just wanted to know if there is a setting or something that I could change that might fix this. or if there is a some conflict in the system I do not know about. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the latest drivers, fyi. Also, is there any sort of warranty claim I could make with AMD even though the card was purchased second hand. I'm also considering returning it. The problem is I bought it off EBay and the seller say they do not take returns. Ebay says I can still return it though. I just haven't gone that far yet. I was kind of hoping to get this working. But, at this point I just assume the card is on it's last leg. It was probably used for cryptomining is my assumption. I just want to make sure I exhaust all options.

0 Likes
6 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

As soon as you log on, AMD Settings software starts.
Maybe this starting is causing the problem.
Start Menu > Right Click > Computer Management > Task Scheduler > Task Scheduler Library
Follow this path and disable AMD-related tasks and try again.

I have been using ASUS RX480 for 2 years. I've never had a problem like this. Uninstall the drivers with DDU in safe mode and try the following driver. I've used this driver for almost a year. Very stable and I had no problems.
Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.3.4 Release Notes | AMD 

I think if the old driver also causes same problems, you should give the graphics card back.

0 Likes
amdnovice
Adept I

I have not tried exactly what you said yet.  But, this is why.  I forgot all about computer manager until you brought it up.  I started looking around.  In the logs and i am getting a couple errors that could be causing it.  One more likely then the other.

1.) The AMDryzenmasterdriverV13 service failed to start due to following error: The system cannot find the path specified.

This kind of makes sense because I uninstalled ryzenmaster and have no reinstalled it.  I assume there is a registery thing that needs to be removed.  Because it was installed and is no longer installed.

2.)Critical. Source: Kernel-power. (the system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.  This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

So, this error would make sense if it did shut down unexpectedly...but it did not.  I shut it down correctly and started it correctly.  This critical error occurred after a proper start up and shutdown and my system did not crash.  But, what ever is causing this error. could be causing he crash.

I have a few other errors listed in the log that say it was shut down unexpectedly when it wasn't

and this warning 

The application-specific permission settings do not grant local activation permission for the COM server application with CLSID

and my wattman settings were restored due to unexpected system failure.  Even though again my system was started and restarted correctly.

If this means anything to you please give me some feedback. I will google this and see if anything comes up.

Right now the only thing that I can think of is the BIOs on the GPU is not that one that is supposed to be there.  Like I said it was more than likely from a crypto miner.  I did some looking and the card I have is said to have hynix memory and what is listed is samsung.  I know that hynix and samsung are tied to together but I have see screen shots of bios that clearly state hynix...where as these bios clearly state Samsung.  Also the I looked up the bios for this GPU and the dates are off.  the dates for the bios online is in august.  this bios is for October.  Past that all the settings looking spot on.

I will however, also try what you are saying I just want to figure out this error first. 

I just want to add that I have clean cleared all previous gpu drivers from the system with DDU...I just reinstalled 19.5.2 instead of the drivers you had listed.

Edit:  I did just disable "amd thankingURL" from the Task scheduler....now I guess we just wait and see.

0 Likes

* Error related to Ryzen Master does not matter. It does not interfere with the proper operation of your system.
* Power error in the error log explains why your system shuts down. And is important.
* WattMan is constantly restore itself, because the graphics card service makes an error and saves you from a blue screen eror.
* If GPU BIOS software had been modified by a miner, AMD display driver would probably shut itself down and you would understand. AMD display driver wouldn't let you use the graphics card.
* CLSID and COM errors are not important errors. It does not interfere with the proper operation of your system.

What is your PSU wattage?
If you have a PSU above 500W and old driver installation (I specified) doesn't work, the graphics card is probably problematic. Driver problem for RX 480 is absolutely absent. I have been using it for years without problems. Like a stone.

0 Likes

Right now I am painfully optimistic that I think I fixed it.  I am posting to give an update.

with the old drivers the problem did still occur

after that I went yolo and did some research found some error logs and the error logs all point to drivers.  I used the program "whocrashed" and every error pointed to drivers.

So, I found another program called IObit uninstaller and uninstalled everything connected to AMD off my PC and everything connected to MSI off my computer. and to make sure everything was gone I did a clean with DDU (which I had already done previously)

After everything I could possibly think of was removed.  I reinstalled drivers and I have been restarting all day...about 10 or more so far and it has not crashed once.  My fps in Cinebench is up 4 points...not a lot but it is in the right direction.  My temps in game are down...about 3 degrees....again not alot but in the right direction.

I did get the error in system logs once after the COMPLETE clean and reinstall stating falsely "that the last system shutdown was unexpected" critical error.  I do not know why that pops up.  I do not know what bug causes it. because I have not had a system crash or hard shut down all day.  but, it has only happened once all day and I have been restarting like a lunatic and it still hasn't crashed yet.

So, I guess I am just riding it until it breaks.  Because i am not even sure if it is the card at this point.  But,  I guess for the moment I am considering it fixed.

Lj3M00N
Journeyman III

Hey man i have same problem on my rx 580 did you find fix?

0 Likes

nah man 4 days since last crash iv ben researching that issue for 4 moths it seems like its driver problem or amd problem not our some help if they ddu if they lucky some change ram like boot pc with 1 ram stick and then put another back idk man they dint work for me 

0 Likes