cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

redoctober45
Adept I

Suspect thermal paste issue on 6900 series

I got a 6950XT (Sapphire Nitro+ Pure) back in July and I carefully and meticulously thermal profile the card through various benchmarks and games for both reference and to make sure it is functioning per spec (based on reviews and youtube).  Also keeping note of the ambient temp to make sure it is roughly the same.

This card was originally performing with what I'd expect, junction temp high 80s/low 90s (C).  Then a few months later the same temp was getting towards 110C.  TLDR: I RMA'ed the card.  However, the new one was fine at first then once again the junction temp slowly started rising after a few weeks.  I didn't want to keep returning cards which seem like a series defect so I voided the warranty and repasted myself.  Now it is back to "normal" temps again so I will keep monitoring.

However, it seems like there is something flawed with either this series or the Sapphire Nitro+ series.

Anyone else been seeing this issue?

0 Likes
1 Solution
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

@redoctober45 I was having the same problem with my Sapphire Toxic 6900xt. I repasted with Kryonaught and my temps are back to normal as well. I'd suspect they might be cheaping out on paste as well.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

View solution in original post

10 Replies

It is possible that Sapphire might be using a less expensive Thermal paste on the GPUs.

I would notify Sapphire Support, since you already know the Warranty is voided, to let them know of your analysis. 

Maybe they will "unvoid" your Warranty if they agree with you. I mean I doubt Sapphire will but no harm in finding out what they say.

Technically GPU manufacturers don't use paste compared to stuff we use to call like this. They pass a layer of more dry interface then squish it from what i know. It allows them to automatize process better.

that is interesting to know but it doesn't change the fact that Sapphire is using a Thermal compound that isn't very effective like other better 3rd party Thermal compounds for GPUs.

No problem on my card (bought Jan '21), just a few degrees increase which i put down to the higher clock increase.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I guess it depends on the thermal compound that Sapphire uses. Maybe they switched from when you purchased you GPU card or the thermal compound is not the same quality being used through out all their GPUs during the manufacturing process.

But so far two Users have needed to change the Thermal compound on the same GPU model to get back to normal temps.

So I guess it is the draw of the luck type situation.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

@redoctober45 I was having the same problem with my Sapphire Toxic 6900xt. I repasted with Kryonaught and my temps are back to normal as well. I'd suspect they might be cheaping out on paste as well.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

I think you're right and it seems to have a major pump out issue as a result. I put my cheap CPU paste on again and after just a few cold restarts in 1-2 days sure enough it came back and was visible on the die too. So I put some IC Diamond 24 carat on it and in the same time frame but with many cold restarts and it is holding exactly the same. Really frustrating these companies choose to screw over the consumer like this, especially ones that may not have the skills or confidence to re-paste themselves.

Strangely, especially as Sapphire is known for better cards from what i heard.
Also... Diamond paste on GPU die. . . You like to live dangerously. Diamond particles shred top layer of chip, which is already basically polished almost to a mirror state. They are also conductive. Could've used liquid metal with better result for amount of risk.

But well, you do you.

Even though conductive Thermal compounds are slightly better then Non-conductive thermal compounds the risk of shorting out your Motherboard and processor is possible if you don't know how to properly apply it.

EDIT: LoL, I meant GPU PCB board and GPU chip but same applies to Motherboard and CPU.

Right? The average gamer is not comfortable taking apart their expensive GPU to repaste or even know to try repasting. It's actually nothing to be afraid of (check your warranty first though). I was a little surprised as well with Sapphire being one of the larger manufacturers.