cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

supply shortage Semiconductor

Time for AMD, NVidia and others to request factories to build in US and EU ?

It´  s very frustrating not to be able to purchase graphic cards for almost 3/4 of a year? However it seems that shops in China are able to deliver to their market? I do not know if it is junk, but seems legit. 
If you are able to get a service were you can actually find a graphic card the price is 50% higher.

Normal Demand/supply and the free market does not rule well. It is time to bring factories to EU + US to be able to meet demands and prevent shortages in the future.

Kind regards
Asger

2 Solutions
delevero
Adept III

I dont know about what is going on in china and if they get x things first..
Truth is that allot of the more than 100 billion semiconductors that is produced every year as far as i know mostly come from
taiwan and japan and usa. ( and some from china )

One reason why there is a shortage is ofcourse the demand and the new 5g networks and electric cars that need allot, as well as computer hardware and mobile phones.
Part of one of the semiconductor plants actual bruned down last month in japan if i recall correctly.

But els one of the major problems is that making example computer chips and gpu's and semiconductors is not as easy.
Some hardware require +50 different processes before it become a product, and often someting is produced in x country and then shipped to y country and then to z country before it become a finished product.
And corona virus have not helped but only slow down the process due to import/export problems inbetween countrys.
And some firms are so huge they get x products first vs others who are lower down in the food chain.

So its kind of the perfect storm right now and its gona take many month before its resolved and normal.
another problem is many people also bought the gaming graphics cards for bitcoin mining, but i think nvidia and amd have said they dont want the gaming cards being used for mining and will build in a feature so they cannot be used for mining, but instead they want to create some dedicated mining cards that people can buy.. Simply said they dont want to dissapoint people and want to sell gaming cards to gamers instead.

However EU and USA have and other countrys have actualy desided they want to be able to produce their own.
Intel said 1-2 month ago they will build a giant factory in usa that can produce semiconductors there.
Eu also want ot build their own factory.
India i think said they want to pay 1 billion to anyone who setup production in their country.
Also reason why usa and eu want to be able to make their own computer chips is due to national security and that they want to cutoff their independence of some products made in china.

PS.. ofcourse its sad we cant get the new hardware, but as you properbly hvae found out your old hardware can still run your games perfectly fine. Reason is games are designed for the average pc so as many people as possible can run and buy the games.. Ofcourse its great if you have a good pc and can bump up the graphics and stuff but that is a luxuary.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

The perfect storm is not easy to overcome.

2 things though: I figure it will be cheaper to build a factory or two than await the supply to build up from existing factories. I figure that it is not the last time we will see this kind of shortage.

I found possible ways to buy 100+ graphic cards and some with delivery within one week for up to 250 cards. So it seems that someone are holding them back and buying more as they come to drive prices up.

Almost 7 months has passed since the cards were announced. Some that are having graphic cards 3 generations old will not agree that it is playable, if they bought a large 21:9 screen with all the latest high res. and new games. We might await the roll out of next generation, but it is frustrating that it has not been planned better.  

2021-04-18 21_23_43-Sapphire rx6700xt 6900xt 6800xt 16g amd original public version and non public v.jpg

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
delevero
Adept III

I dont know about what is going on in china and if they get x things first..
Truth is that allot of the more than 100 billion semiconductors that is produced every year as far as i know mostly come from
taiwan and japan and usa. ( and some from china )

One reason why there is a shortage is ofcourse the demand and the new 5g networks and electric cars that need allot, as well as computer hardware and mobile phones.
Part of one of the semiconductor plants actual bruned down last month in japan if i recall correctly.

But els one of the major problems is that making example computer chips and gpu's and semiconductors is not as easy.
Some hardware require +50 different processes before it become a product, and often someting is produced in x country and then shipped to y country and then to z country before it become a finished product.
And corona virus have not helped but only slow down the process due to import/export problems inbetween countrys.
And some firms are so huge they get x products first vs others who are lower down in the food chain.

So its kind of the perfect storm right now and its gona take many month before its resolved and normal.
another problem is many people also bought the gaming graphics cards for bitcoin mining, but i think nvidia and amd have said they dont want the gaming cards being used for mining and will build in a feature so they cannot be used for mining, but instead they want to create some dedicated mining cards that people can buy.. Simply said they dont want to dissapoint people and want to sell gaming cards to gamers instead.

However EU and USA have and other countrys have actualy desided they want to be able to produce their own.
Intel said 1-2 month ago they will build a giant factory in usa that can produce semiconductors there.
Eu also want ot build their own factory.
India i think said they want to pay 1 billion to anyone who setup production in their country.
Also reason why usa and eu want to be able to make their own computer chips is due to national security and that they want to cutoff their independence of some products made in china.

PS.. ofcourse its sad we cant get the new hardware, but as you properbly hvae found out your old hardware can still run your games perfectly fine. Reason is games are designed for the average pc so as many people as possible can run and buy the games.. Ofcourse its great if you have a good pc and can bump up the graphics and stuff but that is a luxuary.

0 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

The perfect storm is not easy to overcome.

2 things though: I figure it will be cheaper to build a factory or two than await the supply to build up from existing factories. I figure that it is not the last time we will see this kind of shortage.

I found possible ways to buy 100+ graphic cards and some with delivery within one week for up to 250 cards. So it seems that someone are holding them back and buying more as they come to drive prices up.

Almost 7 months has passed since the cards were announced. Some that are having graphic cards 3 generations old will not agree that it is playable, if they bought a large 21:9 screen with all the latest high res. and new games. We might await the roll out of next generation, but it is frustrating that it has not been planned better.  

2021-04-18 21_23_43-Sapphire rx6700xt 6900xt 6800xt 16g amd original public version and non public v.jpg

0 Likes