Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

hellcat_uk
Adept I

Suggestions for BSOD fix for RX5700XT?

Computer Type: Self-build desktop

GPU: Powercolor AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Red Dragon 8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600. Stock speeds H100i cooler.

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4, in dual channel slots with XMP enabled

PSU: Corsair CX650M

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 v1909

GPU Drivers: 20.4.1

Chipset Drivers: 2.04.04.111

Background Applications: Issue can happen with only browser/game open.

Description of Original Problem: Daily BSOD when a video loads on a webpage, or black screen crash while in iRacing.

Checking minidump with Whocrashed reveals the following:

On Wed 22/04/2020 06:56:21 your computer crashed or a problem was reportedcrash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042220-8000-01.dmpThis was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80555C40818)Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF838A86829010, 0xFFFFF80555C40818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERRORfile path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0353575.inf_amd64_8e19095ae833d985\B353558\atikmpag.sysproduct: AMD drivercompany: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport DriverBug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Tue 21/04/2020 20:54:19 your computer crashed or a problem was reportedcrash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\042120-8109-01.dmpThis was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80067F50818)Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF9589BC933010, 0xFFFFF80067F50818, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000001, 0x3)Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERRORfile path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0353575.inf_amd64_8e19095ae833d985\B353558\atikmpag.sysproduct: AMD drivercompany: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport DriverBug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Troubleshooting:

• System initially built with R9 290 VaporX and ran for 1 month without issue. BSOD only seen since GFX upgrade.
  • DDU and rolling back to 20.3.1, 20.2.1, 19.12.1. Version 19 drivers had less BSOD but instead just crashed to system reboot.
  • Turning off hardware acceleration. No change. BSOD on loading videos on webpages.
  • Ran OCCT. No errors.
17 Replies
byebyekansas
Adept I

I was about to give up with a Sphire Nitro+ 5700 XT. Random reboots when playing, using windows etc. Tried all possible drivers, tricks, windows hacks. Nothing.

Then, I found a post about undervolting the card, I was suspecting a PSU problem, but having a 750 PSU when the recomended setting is 600W, I didn't want to believe. I tested the undervolting and the card started to work better, to the point I was able to play with not crashes. I ended up replacing my 750W bronze PSU for a 850W gold rated PSU. Clean windows install, latest drivers, everything worked as it is supposed to.

Hope this help someone else.

MOBO: Tomahawk 450B

CARD: Saphire nitro+ rt 57000 xt

RAM: 32 GB Corsair LPX DD4 3200

PROC: Ryzen 7 2700x

Water Cooling: ML240

PSU: Corsair RM850x

I'm glad yours is now stable. Mine has only ever crashed once in a game. Black screen, the game continued but with no display. Bit bad as I was side by side with someone in a sim race. Luckily I didn't hit them while having my inevitable accident. Where mine seems very unreliable is embedded video. When it blue screens, it often has the video frozen over the error screen. See attached.crash.jpg

I've stress tested mine, and even with GPU, CPU and RAM all maxed out the PSU stood strong. 650W Corsair.

0 Likes

Glad you figured out a way to get it working as it is supposed to. But here goes one question: Now that you have a more powerful PSU.. the card is still running undervolted? Or did you reverted it to stock settings?

0 Likes

I've not changed any hardware, I've just disabled hardware acceleration in Chrome.

The card has almost always been stable under load - Never over or underclocked or undervolted.

ooops, sorry about messing here. I meant to give that question to @byebyekansas

0 Likes

I reverted to stock settings on a clean windows install, latest stable drivers. Everything working perfect.

hellcat_uk
Adept I

Fresh Windows 10 v1909 install
Windows updates installed
Chromium Edge installed - set google defaultsearch engine
Reboot
Check for updates
Installed 20-04 cumulative update for 1909
Uninstalled Skype, Candy crush, Farm Heroes
Reboot
Check for updates - none found
Install Chipset 2.04.04.111
Reboot
Disconnect from network
Install GFX 20.4.2
Reboot
Install Chrome
Install Steam, World of Warships, Discord
Play game.
Black screen crash. No dumpfile.

Think it's time to buy the 2070 Super.

0 Likes

i fixed my system crash (no crash logs) by making sure the 6 & 8 pin power connectors are on separate power rails.

my Gigabyte Odin 800w power supply on can provide max 25 amps per rail and the 5700xt uses more then 25 amps (power supply resets around 26 amps).

not sure how high amp requirements are, my psu's monitoring software is jumping around ~22 amps on one rail and the other is ~7 amps

0 Likes

The CX650M listed as my PSU has a single 12V rail delivering 54 Amps. I have the card attached by separate 6+2 PCIe cables.

0 Likes

Bro, all my crashed happened with a Corsair CX750M, I have been using the computer without issues with a Corsair RX850M. I'm 100% positive your PSU will not work with your graphic card.

rafa

0 Likes

That's interesting since the 5700XT peak comes in at almost 100 watts less than the R9 290 Vapor-X I had before.

I'll monitor the power usage more closely and see if I can spot it doing anything weird, but I don't have a spare PSU of over 700 watts (and don't fancy having a unneeded 800 watt PSU sitting around doing nothing if it didn't fix it!)

0 Likes

Undervolt the card with wattman, if the card work properly at 1900 or less mhz, then your problem is the PSU.

0 Likes

Since a new PSU would be around £100, I instead took a risk and bought a 2070 Super. As expected, it works fine and no more blue screen crashes. I'll return the 5700xt and enjoy the extra features I get for my £100 instead of just having an extra PSU that I couldn't use for anything.

If the 5700xt is peaking it's power usage well beyond what it's meant to, then it doesn't bode well for it's longevity. Best to return it now than months later when I'd have to prove the issue was there from new. I still think the issue is drivers, but they seem to be improving at glacial speed.

Thanks for the help though, good luck with yours. Hope it lasts you years.

0 Likes
noko
Adept III

Have you underclocked the GPU and memory for testing?

Reseated the card? (make sure the card is fully inserted if you havn't checked - seen this several times myself where my card was almost but not fully).

I would say the power supply is good since the 290 would take more power.

For black screens, try a lower refresh rate if using something above 60hz, if at 10bit try 8bit, RGB 4:4:4 full RGB to YCbCr 4:2:2 pixel format (if monitor supports). Just so many things can cause this but #1 most likely is a degraded DP cable. Yes it may work on one GPU and not the other - depending how sensitive and how much inspec it has to be between the video cards. Anyways reducing the bandwidth could help rule out the cable.

0 Likes

I had that degraded cable issue with a dual-link DVI cable. Worked sometimes, other times black screen. Replaced with DP cable and that resolved it.

The card has actually now gone two whole days without a blue screen crash. Afraid that might be too little, too late though. It's fate is sealed.

0 Likes

Glad that you've figured out what was causing the problem. What kind o DP cable did you get to replace?

0 Likes

Sorry, wasn't clear. I previously had cable issues as noko had suggested. I was agreeing that it can resolve a black screen problem.

My problem was a BSOD from videos on websites. I'm hoping it's resolved now by replacing the card with something that comes in a green box.