cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

msnimbus
Adept II

suggestions appreciated: unplayable frame rates on some games (RX 5500 xt)

Brand new RX 5500 XT Thicc II Pro 4GB.

Runs Godfall (720p) and ARK Survival Evolved (1080p) on epic settings perfectly. With Far Cry 5 and Star Trek Online I get frame rates averages of 12 - 17 fps or less, even at the lowest settings and lowest resolutions.

It's really weird - GPU usage is really low and not consistent at all. Nothing else is maxing out that I can see that would cause a bottleneck. I have checked they are using my GPU and not the onboard card, run as administrator, made the process high priority, maxed the power limit in AMD software, set to high performance in windows etc. I have tried the recommended driver version (20.9.1) as well as the latest one (20.11.2)

Any ideas? Am I missing something super obvious? Thanks! :)

Far Cry 5 benchmark at low quality. 10fps or lessFar Cry 5 benchmark at low quality. 10fps or lessGodfall on Epic quality 75fpsGodfall on Epic quality 75fps

SYSTEM:
Windows 10 Professional
Intel ® Core(TM) i5-7400 u/3GHz
RAM: 8G corsair RAM
RX 5500 XT Thicc II Pro 4GB
SSD Harddrive: SK hynix SC308 SATA 512G
Hybrid HDD: Firecuda 1 terabyte
Motherboard: ASUS H110M-R
Power supply: 600W Vortex 80 plus Bronze
Monitor: 1 x Dell SE2416H connected with HDMI

0 Likes
1 Solution

I finally fixed it after trying a whole lot of driver versions eventually 19.12.3 worked for me :)

thanks for all the suggestions

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
krakien
Adept II

How is it possible for that 4gb GPU to run Godfall at epic 75fps. I own a Xfx 5500xt 8gb and it still struggles to reach 60fps at epic.

But my answer to your Farcry low Fps is that your GPU has a low Vram of 4gb. I would sell that thing and buy a 8gb card. 

Hi, I double checked and it's running at 720p not 1080p - sorry. That's probably why. I just included it for comparison and to rule out a hardware issue.

I disagree RE VRAM - this is well within spec for Far Cry 5 and it's not even all being used when playing. It should be able to run the game at the lowest settings and lowest resolutions, but I get the same poor performance no matter what settings I use, so something else is preventing the card from being utilised properly. I have exactly the same problem with Star Trek online which runs perfectly on high settings on my laptop with a 2G card. I suspect it's probably something in Windows (as usual) but I have run out of ideas.

0 Likes

Farcry 5 is heavy on  textures. I get 60 fps at High setting 1080p and 51fps Very High.

Vram usage reaches 4900mb. Total PC Vram is 6700mb at Very High. 

So in my opinion, ur PC is swaping to SSD cause Gpu is out of Vram

@msnimbus wrote:

Hi, I double checked and it's running at 720p not 1080p - sorry. That's probably why. I just included it for comparison and to rule out a hardware issue.

I disagree RE VRAM - this is well within spec for Far Cry 5 and it's not even all being used when playing. It should be able to run the game at the lowest settings and lowest resolutions, but I get the same poor performance no matter what settings I use, so something else is preventing the card from being utilised properly. I have exactly the same problem with Star Trek online which runs perfectly on high settings on my laptop with a 2G card. I suspect it's probably something in Windows (as usual) but I have run out of ideas.

0 Likes

I get the same issues with Skyrim using the absolute lowest settings, get 6-10fps when just standing around- so I don't think it is a VRAM thing. God Fall still runs great. Super weird.

0 Likes

@msnimbus wrote:

Brand new RX 5500 XT Thicc II Pro 4GB.

Runs Godfall (720p) and ARK Survival Evolved (1080p) on epic settings perfectly. With Far Cry 5 and Star Trek Online I get frame rates averages of 12 - 17 fps or less, even at the lowest settings and lowest resolutions.

It's really weird - GPU usage is really low and not consistent at all. Nothing else is maxing out that I can see that would cause a bottleneck. I have checked they are using my GPU and not the onboard card, run as administrator, made the process high priority, maxed the power limit in AMD software, set to high performance in windows etc. I have tried the recommended driver version (20.9.1) as well as the latest one (20.11.2)

Any ideas? Am I missing something super obvious? Thanks! :)

Far Cry 5 benchmark at low quality. 10fps or lessFar Cry 5 benchmark at low quality. 10fps or lessGodfall on Epic quality 75fpsGodfall on Epic quality 75fps

SYSTEM:
Windows 10 Professional
Intel ® Core(TM) i5-7400 u/3GHz
RAM: 8G corsair RAM
RX 5500 XT Thicc II Pro 4GB
SSD Harddrive: SK hynix SC308 SATA 512G
Hybrid HDD: Firecuda 1 terabyte
Motherboard: ASUS H110M-R
Power supply: 600W Vortex 80 plus Bronze
Monitor: 1 x Dell SE2416H connected with HDMI

What are your temps on that card? You might try a custom fan cure that runs the fan higher sooner. If the card it thermal throttling it could certainly explain frame dips.

However this should happen in any game that puts high load on the card. So if your issues are limited to a few games in particular it may be just those games the driver has issues with. 

You can report the issue to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Also the support department of whom made your card would be helpful. 

One thing before contacting support is run OCCT diagnostic software from ocbase dot com and test your system components. Make sure you don't have any hardware issues, like a failing power supply for instance. This software can test that and your GPU and other components. 

thanks for the suggestions I'll try and contact support. I ran OCCT with no issues.

In the screenshots you can see the temp with the low frame rate is 48 deg - the card isn't doing any work so it doesn't get warm at all. But yes, it is as if something is throttling the card perhaps, if you look at the spikes in utilisation when running Far Cry vs GodFall.

For interest's sake I installed Skyrim because that should definitely run ok but I have the same issue there too - 6fps on ultra and 8fps on low settings, hardly any difference.

0 Likes

I finally fixed it after trying a whole lot of driver versions eventually 19.12.3 worked for me :)

thanks for all the suggestions

0 Likes