Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

colesdav
MVP

Re: Sudden death of Sapphire R9 Fury?

Hi,

Looking at the second video above, Sapphire  have used electrolytic capacitors on the VRM of the Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro unlike the caps used on the FuryX.
You might want to inspect those electrolytic capacitors and check if any of them look "blown" or if any of them look like they are leaking fluid.
It should be easy to find new electrolytics and replace them.
One failure mode for those caps can start out as intermittent shorting / medium resistance between the capacitor terminals before catastrophic failure (permanent short). This results in voltage glitching on the VRM DC supply line. I looked at your video showing the glitching video display. That *might* indicate what was going on.

Bye.

grantelb4rt
Adept II

Thank you very much for your huge amount of Information. At the point where you wrote all of that my card was already send in for repair. If this is really the Problem, they might be able to find and repair it.

If not I will have a look at the card myself and try to find the Issue on my own.

But the fact that they cheaped out on the capacitors is kind of disappointing..

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Thank you.

I am sorry I replied to your thread so late.

As you might see I was/am having my own problems with sourcing good R9 Nanos/Fury/FuryX's for a project I am working on.

Please forward the information to the people repairing the GPU for you. It might help.

Note if the GPU had dry / failing solder joints to the PCB then that could also have been the cause of the glitching on your card.

If the people doing the repair are a professional outfit they should be able to remove the GPU IC, remove the old and apply new solder balls underneath the IC, and refit the GPU properly, not just use the Solder Reflow method I described. They should have a proper solder Surface Mount Reflow / Rework Station if they are repairing GPU's. Note that just heating the GPU die during Solder Reflow / Rework, might also repair the GPU temporarily.

They might tell you it is not worth the cost, but it should only take 1 hour of work to do it.

Electrolytic capacitors  are often used because they have higher capacitance than available on tantalum capacitors, for the same cost.
More capacitance will generally mean less ripple on the VRM DC supply and more stable clocks and better GPU performance, provided they use a smaller tantalum capacitor in parallel with the electrolytic capacitor. I don't know if they did that on your card. So Sapphire were not necessarily "cheaped out". 
They generally make good cards. Those Sapphire Fury Nitros are only a little slower than an R9 FuryX in gaming, even though they have a cut down Fiji GPU.

Bye.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have not run into bad capacitors for quite a while since the bad electrolyte problem. That was problem way back in 2003, this is 2018.

TEAPO CAPACITORS – HARDCORE GAMES™

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Thanks for the information. I know this is 2018.

I have seen blown electrolytics on motherboards and cards manufactured as recently as 2-3 years ago.
It still happens.
Cheers.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

colesdav wrote:

Thanks for the information. I know this is 2018.

I have seen blown electrolytics on motherboards and cards manufactured as recently as 2-3 years ago.
It still happens.
Cheers.

I can imagine that the flakey caps are so pervasive that discovery may be ongoing for another decade or more

capacitors are a very mature technology, so when something like this happens the damage can be so pervasive it defies imagination

I updated my article a few times, when I found Dell had to plink down over $400 million for bad motherboards, ouch

colesdav
MVP

Hi,

Interesting article about the capacitor plague, I remember it was not good.

New, high quality electrolytic capacitors used on GPU's should have a life span at least 6 years at rated temps, but the failure rate does increase quite quickly with even a 10'C temperature rise. So maybe people who overclock their cards or OC edition of cards might hit a problem early.
I agree that the flakey capacitors that caused the problem form 2003-2007 may well still be around.
Alternatively sometimes components with manufacturing defects do get through and make it onto cards anyhow.

Bye.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

Can't speak to this issue specifically but I have always found it crazy that they just don't use the best capacitors available to begin with unless it really is planned failure. The difference in price is minimal, likely wouldn't make even a $5 difference in price. I have fixed many Motherboards over the years replacing the capacitors but these multilayered pcbs today are getting a bit beyond what I can do at home.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

due to competition, motherboard makers have to get the lowest cost parts they can

this is how bad competition has become

0 Kudos
elstaci
MVP

Do you believe that applies to the high-end Motherboards? I have an Asus TUF Sabertooth 990FX which supposed to be made up to Military specs in components used. It has a Five year Warranty. I have had absolutely no issues with this Motherboard even though it is completely loaded with discrete components and USB connections.

Asus wouldn't give a Five year Warranty on a Motherboard if they used lowest cost components that may fail within the Five year Warranty range.

0 Kudos