cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

grantelb4rt
Adept II

Re: Sudden death of Sapphire R9 Fury?

Spontaneous combustion of Sapphire Cards. Nice.

I will just wait until the GPU prices are bearable again.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

grantelb4rt wrote:

Spontaneous combustion of Sapphire Cards. Nice.

I will just wait until the GPU prices are bearable again.

That might be a while, digital coin enthusiasts have hogged the cards by the 6 pack

elstaci
MVP

How can these Miners afford to spend several thousand dollars on GPU cards, Risers, and USB cables and God knows what other computer components they require to run the Mining Computer setup.

I barely could afford a top end GPU card.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have been watching market and evidently a lot of speculators are using credit cards to buy cards galore and gambling on selling digital coins for more than they invested

the problem is that the digital coins value is very fickle and I avoid them like ebola

0 Kudos
grantelb4rt
Adept II

I know..

Thats why I wont be a gamer for the next few Months, or even years, eventhough they "care about the gamers" so much

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

That's why the saying "It takes money to make money" exists for many I think it is nothing more that a rich guys hobby.

0 Kudos
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

pokester wrote:

That's why the saying "It takes money to make money" exists for many I think it is nothing more that a rich guys hobby.

unfortunately that is true with the gambling over digital coins which has brought countless new buyers into the video card markery

0 Kudos
plumboby
Miniboss

Only reason why the Miners go for AMD cards for the hash rates to cost of what they can mine effectively unfortunately AMD policy with Open source support has made them Mining friendly with drivers which are supported. What AMD needs to do is needs to make up to the Gamers, enthusiests, users & community of gamers a limit or build a specific card only for mining.Never know what might have with Vega /Navi  suppose to be a few being made & tested on 7nm end of year early next. Hopefully a game changer  hopefully they go with Gddr6 ram with 12 G vram  equivalent in my eys give the 2080 Nvidia is going with on Gddr6 ram. If your a gamer save up as they probly be releasing the the 7nm Vega/Navi   to a simular time as Nvdias new chips.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Hi,

(1). I just had a failure on an R9 Fury X - looks like the fan controller was broken / possibly modded in that case, however I had just powered down my PC and changed the DisplayPort output from DisplayPort2 to Display Port 3 before booting up and the card failed.

Request for help to identify a component on an R9 Fury X please.
Symptoms are similar, namely no display output at all, and the card is not seen at all by the PC.

(2). Although it may seem like your card has gone to GPU heaven, there may still be hope.
I had an apparently broken Sapphire HD7970 OC 6GB that I managed to bring back to life from total zombie state.
You can see how I fixed it and the parts I used to do it at the end of the following thread here:
HD7970 not working after 17.4.3 update
The card is still running great, every day used for blender or gaming since I repaired it.

For you, (2) above, might be worth a try to fix your own card rather than taking the risk and hassle of buying a second hand card and
going through the problems I had to get my money back in (1) above.

I am looking at saving up for a new GPU, I think it very likely I have to go Nvidia for my next card.
I have been purchasing second hand cards for years from various sites without any problems until now.
I think purchasing any second hand high end GPU right now is riskier than it used to be because of mining.
If you do go for a second hand card beware anything that looks like it has had the fans modded or replaced in any way.
Fan MTBF means the fans should last a card that has been used for gaming for years. Mining 24/7 will likely kill the fans or fan controller early.
Note a second hand card can look in perfect external physical condition but still the components on the PCB can be simply worn out or degraded electrically.

I forgot to mention - if you do remove the Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro be very careful not to touch the interposer between the HBM memory and the GPU itself.
I will look for an article showing a teardown of your card.

Good luck if you attempt to fix your card using Solder Reflow described in (2). above.

Bye.

colesdav
MVP

Here are a couple of videos showing how to tear down your card and discussing the functions of various parts of that card:

Teardown SAPPHIRE R9 FURY NITRO - YouTube

PCB Breakdown: Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro - YouTube

Bye.