Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

grantelb4rt
Adept II
Adept II

Sudden death of Sapphire R9 Fury?

Hello Guys and Girls,

is it possible for my Graphicscard to just have suddenly died? I was casually browsing the Internet, suddenly both my Monitors went dark, the PC shut down and restarted itself. First thought was a Powerloss, but the Monitors and all other Electronics were still running. After that there was no more Video signal from my R9 Fury Nitro. But I heard the Windows welcome sound, so I plugged my Monitor into the onboard GPU where I got a Video Signal.

In the Device-Manager the only Videocard shown was the Intel iGPU one. Same with the BIOS, the Mainboard did not even recognize that there was a Card installed in the PCI-E Slot.

So naturally i tried the following:

1. Reseating Power Cables and Videocard
  2. clear CMOS
  3. flash new BIOS
  4. switching V-BIOS (BIOS Button on Card)
  5. second PCI-E slot
  6. different Video output
  7. only Keyboard plugged into PC
  8. checking PSU Voltage on PCI-E Connectors (was at 12.17V)

But all of those things didnt have any success.

The GPU in a different PC yields the same results. A different Videocard is recognized, so the Mainboard and CPU are not at Fault.

I had issues with the DP Video out since I had the Card. Could this be a late effect of that Problem? (Video of the Issue: Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro Screen Flickering - YouTube )

Anybody else had similar Problems with any Graphicscard? Really would be a shame if that card died on me after 1.5 years, especially considering the current Videocard market...

I have the feeling that there is nothing I can do, but I thought I might as well ask for some other Opinions

System specs:

• i5 3570k
  • Asus P8Z77-V
  • 4x4GB 1333Mhz DDR3
  • Superflower Amptec 750W
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Benq GW2765
0 Kudos
49 Replies
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Sudden death of Sapphire R9 Fury?

Sounds like your GPU card Overheated. When a Computer shuts down like you pressed the "restart" button on your computer case. It generally indicates either something overheated (CPU or GPU) or the PSU (Weak or failing ) didn't give enough power to a component shutting down the computer.

If you tried all the Output Ports on the card with different cables and on another PC with the same results, then most likely your card got damaged when it overheated. Maybe the Fan stopped working (For whatever reason, jammed or burned out) at the moment the GPU was under heavy load and temperature spiked suddenly extremely high before giving the GPU a chance to throttle or shut down the computer. (My hypothesis)

Most Manufacturer's give more than a year of warranty for GPU cards. I have a Asus GPU card with a three year Warranty. Contact the GPU card Manufacturer and open a RMA with Support. They will let you know if it is under Warranty for what happened.

Went to Sapphire Support. It doesn't mention Warranty length. But under Amazon.com it does . Supposingly it has a TWO YEAR Warranty according to this PDF from AMAZON from SAPPHIRE: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61sYFfVoR0S.pdf  and this is the only information Sapphire Support gives about RMA/WARRANTY :http://www.sapphiretech.com/support.asp?lang=eng

0 Kudos
grantelb4rt
Adept II
Adept II

I dont think it overheated, I was only browsing the Web... The cooler on that card is so massive that the Fans are stopped by Factory on low loads and Temperatures below 60° (or something around that area).

PSU could be another thing, but I dont have another PSU laying around with 2x 8-Pin PCI-E connectors

I already contacted Sapphire, they just got back to me. They said they wont do the RMA and want me to send the card to the Store where I bought it. The Store told me that they would send that card in for Repair, but if they cant repair it I would get the Time Value of the card... Which is only 150€, from that money I cant get anything close to a Fury performance wise

0 Kudos
plumboby
Miniboss
Miniboss

How old is your PSU might be an idea if you have pulled your card trying to get a RMA to maybe just invest in a brand new PSU for future proofing & a safe guard incase it was the PSU that cooked the card. IS your mobo firing up on intel chipset drivers if it is that's a bonus. Tho if something has died or PSU is failing I would advise in a upgrade for good measure if its not you card & gives a chance for a new card if they honour by giving you a new gen card.

0 Kudos
grantelb4rt
Adept II
Adept II

Sooo, I bought a new PSU to be sure that that is not the Problem. Still no change. Seems that my Card is completely dead. I guess I will send it in, in hope of being repairable. If its not repairable I will need to save up a few Months to buy a new card with the prices right now.

0 Kudos
elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

very poor Warranty by Sapphire. Most Warranties, at least here in the US, either Repairs or Replaces the defective card. Granted the replacement Card would probably be a Refurbished one but at least you will have a working card again.

I would look at Asus or some other Manufacturer with a better Warranty than Sapphire. Asus has a three year Warranty, at least here in the US. You need to research before you purchase a new card what the Warranty is. Visiontek has a limited Lifetime Warranty when I purchased a AMD HD 7850 card from them about five years ago. In Europe, Warranties are probably different than here in the States since you posted the cash in Euro and not dollars.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss
Big Boss

grantelb4rt wrote:

Hello Guys and Girls,

is it possible for my Graphicscard to just have suddenly died? I was casually browsing the Internet, suddenly both my Monitors went dark, the PC shut down and restarted itself. First thought was a Powerloss, but the Monitors and all other Electronics were still running. After that there was no more Video signal from my R9 Fury Nitro. But I heard the Windows welcome sound, so I plugged my Monitor into the onboard GPU where I got a Video Signal.

In the Device-Manager the only Videocard shown was the Intel iGPU one. Same with the BIOS, the Mainboard did not even recognize that there was a Card installed in the PCI-E Slot.

So naturally i tried the following:

1. Reseating Power Cables and Videocard
  2. clear CMOS
  3. flash new BIOS
  4. switching V-BIOS (BIOS Button on Card)
  5. second PCI-E slot
  6. different Video output
  7. only Keyboard plugged into PC
  8. checking PSU Voltage on PCI-E Connectors (was at 12.17V)

But all of those things didnt have any success.

The GPU in a different PC yields the same results. A different Videocard is recognized, so the Mainboard and CPU are not at Fault.

I had issues with the DP Video out since I had the Card. Could this be a late effect of that Problem? (Video of the Issue: Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro Screen Flickering - YouTube )

Anybody else had similar Problems with any Graphicscard? Really would be a shame if that card died on me after 1.5 years, especially considering the current Videocard market...

I have the feeling that there is nothing I can do, but I thought I might as well ask for some other Opinions

System specs:

• i5 3570k
  • Asus P8Z77-V
  • 4x4GB 1333Mhz DDR3
  • Superflower Amptec 750W
  • Windows 10 64bit
  • Benq GW2765

Time to break open the piggy bank and spend some $ on a new video card

sucks that digital coin miners are hogging all the video cards too

grantelb4rt
Adept II
Adept II

Sadly my Piggybank is as empty as it can be.

Also I dont see a point in spending more money on a slower card now, then I did almost 2 years ago.

0 Kudos
grantelb4rt
Adept II
Adept II

My thoughts exactly. Will be the last Sapphire card I ever buy.

Fury was AMDs top of the Line until Vega came out, which was not even a year ago when I remember correctly... Having AMDs most high end Card of the "last" Generation, and getting no Support at all is massively disappointing.

elstaci
Esteemed Contributor III

This User had something similar happen to his Sapphire R9 card in this thread : My sapphire r390 just die after drivers update