Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

DudleyDank
Adept I

Stuttering RX 480 8GB

Hello,

I am experiencing stuttering in many games even at 60 fps.

It has persisted across builds, (I re-used my GPU and PSU from a previous build.)

I believed it was an issue with refresh rates across 3 monitors but it persists even when they are all at 60HZ.

I don't know a lot about page faults but I believe there were many when I used a program to measure them.

The stuttering lessens when I disable ambient occlusion in some games.

Sometimes WIN+P disabling 2 monitors will alleviate the stuttering, but not always completely.

CPU temps never rise above 55 C, GPU temps never rise above 60 deg C

All latest drivers for chipset, mobo and GPU have been installed, latest BIOS flashed. Every time I think I have fixed the problem, it returns.

I've spent hours upon hours trying to diagnose the problem, could really use some help from someone with more experience in these matters.

3 Monitors:

DELL IPS 60HZ 1080p

BENQ 144HZ 1080p

ASUS 60HZ 1080p

System Specs:

Mobo: B450M BAZOOKA MAX WIFI (BIOS: 7C87v151)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 6-Core Processor

RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 

PSU: Seagate 750W Gold Certified

GPU: AMD RX 480 8 GB (Stock)

SSD: M.2 WD SN550

Case: H510i RGB

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master 212 EVO BLACK 

WIN 10 64 BIT

What I have already tried so far:

• Updating Drivers
  • Improving airflow
  • Resetting all AMD Radeon Settings
  • Tweaking global graphics in Radeon Settings
  • Turning up fans in Radeon Settings
  • Turning on/off Chill
  • Resetting shader cache in Radeon Settings
  • Updating BIOS
  • Deleting all Xbox Windows 10 files
  • Updating Windows
  • Disabling Windows Defender
  • Ending all unnecessary background processes
  • Ensuring power settings are set to High Performance
  • Ran a LatencyMon test.

1 Solution

I've fixed the problem.

Even though temps were completely fine, changing the thermal paste that came with the card solved the issue.

The paste seemed to have leaked onto some of the diodes and was causing some kind of voltage or thermal throttling. 

If you have a RX480 and have an issue similar to this please, don't ignore the paste because temps are fine, change the paste and it should hopefully fix your issue. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Matrixx
Adept II

Intelligent standby list cleaner (ISLC) v1.0.2.2 Released - Wagnardsoft Forum

Try this program from the creator of DDU, it is made for level Gamers. This program reduces the InputLag and the Shuttering. There are youtube videos that show it and how to configure it. Hope this can help you.

I think this worked!

I've been seriously trying to fix this for almost 3 years. 

So glad I reached out, you're an absolute boss.

0 Likes

I hope

0 Likes

0 Likes

Aaaand its back. It does seem like after I disable two monitors and re-enable them again after a restart it fixed the stuttering, any idea why this one happen?

0 Likes

I've fixed the problem.

Even though temps were completely fine, changing the thermal paste that came with the card solved the issue.

The paste seemed to have leaked onto some of the diodes and was causing some kind of voltage or thermal throttling. 

If you have a RX480 and have an issue similar to this please, don't ignore the paste because temps are fine, change the paste and it should hopefully fix your issue.