cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Joshii47x
Adept II

Strange 6900xt usage

This is my second time posting this question, since the first one was marked as spam. I'm sure it was a mistake but anyways.

I've been having strange performance on my 6900xt. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and when I play some games, the 6900xt usage will start at 99% and when the scene becomes CPU intensive then the 6900xt usage is between 43%-65% and the FPS of course drops because of this.

I've tried everything online I could find as a solution, but sadly nothing worked.

D.O.J.C - (Disciple of Jesus Christ)
11 Replies

hello, it happens in some specific games?

0 Likes

Yeah, it happened in Hitman III, and GTA V. I'm just confused on whether this is normal behavior or not. I'm on driver version 22.5.1 since that's the only one that is stable for me.

0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

On my system 22.5.1 allows world of warships to run at max output whereas earlier drivers limited its performance in the manner you describe.  It keeps my aib 6900 xt running from 288-300w at all times whereas earlier drivers kept it at half of that cutting performance in half.

When you had the other drivers did you use the AMD removal tool that runs in safe mode to clean everything out before installing 22.5.1?

0 Likes

Yes I used the driver Uninstaller in safe mode. 

Note: I've had this gpu for about 3 weeks now and the only drivers I've ever used were 22.5.1 and 22.8.1 which was unstable for me and I had to go back to 22.5.1

0 Likes
djasthma
Adept III

Sounds like you might be hitting a cpu bottleneck at the cpu intensive scenes, hence gpu load dropping. What CPU are you running plus are you running any frame limiters (as that in combination with a bottleneck could exacerbate the issue)? This can be seen in titles like arma 3 (it does not manifest exactly like you have reported but is similar), where the gpu does virtually nothing because it waits for the cpu all the time, so you have low clocks and low load (sometime zero rpm kicks in due to how light the load is for the card and how brutal the cpu load is due to the game engine).

If it is a driver issue, it might be like what happens in forza horizon 5's hotwheel expansion, where the particle effects on the new map somehow causse a bug in the drivers making the gpu load drop substantially (inclusive of clocks) and thereby framerate drops (just as you are experiencing). There is no fix for that yet, but i doubt you have the same issue as i dont think what you are faceing has been mass reported in the two years since the card was released in the titles you mentioned.

0 Likes

No, I'm not using any frame limiters. I turned them all off and I have the R9 5950X. So, I don't see why that would be an issue on this processor maybe im wrong. Plus, I have SAM enabled as well. But it seems like it usually happens on cpu intensive parts of the game even though my cpu doesn't even hit 50% really ever in the games I play.

Here are some screenshots:

Performance drop: https://prnt.sc/AYLSNOiZA8__

Normal Performance: https://prnt.sc/sDUlzQR0sfvS

You can see once the cpu intensive part went down the usage went up as well. This is on Hitman by the way if you were wondering.

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

I know someone who's 6900xt did that frame drop in GTAV, until he turned off MSAA, or turned it down.  You can also disable it and use Frame Scaling mode to upres to achieve the same effect.

Yeah, this happens to me in GTA V as well. Is that a Graphic setting in Adrenaline?  I'll give that a try and let you know.

Edit: Never mind I figured out that's an advanced setting option in GTA V. I'll try that for Hitman and see if that helps.

0 Likes

It seems when I play at native which is 3440x1440 for me, the gpu usage drops after the scene becomes CPU intensive but when I upscaled it, the gpu usage stayed at 95%+ constantly most of the time. Maybe it's the game engine I don't know. I figured native would be demanding enough at ultra-settings for this GPU. 

It's not a big issue it only happens on this map when I shoot the books off the shelf. So, maybe doing that action requires more of the CPU than gpu. But, other than that, it performs fine from what I've seen.

0 Likes

I'm having the same issues, I get bad FPS drop which is due to the gou dropping in pwr draw. Upping the power limit helped but not massively.

Did upscaling through adrenaline sort the issue? 

0 Likes

Upscaling helped utilize more of the GPU but I think what's going on in Hitman 3 is because of the game engine. I would say try upscaling in the game your having issues in to see if that helps or try turning up some of your settings.

0 Likes