cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sittinhawk
Adept I

Static noise after WSL update

I was trying to get WSL2 with graphics working, following the guide on: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/tutorials/gui-apps

It took me to an AMD link which downloaded: DX12-WSL-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-20.45.01.31-Dec15.exe

After installing this, things seemed normal for awhile, but later when I was browsing the internet, a popup ad with an embedded video started playing at which point my entire monitor became random static noise (think back to the TV antenna days when you turn to a channel that had absolutely no signal). It never stopped: had to restart my computer, and then it keeps doing this. Definitely never did this before installing that exe. Had this computer for several years.

Computer: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon Vega Graphics
Device: AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics

Drivers Version: 31.0.12027.7000
Driver Date: 10/19/2022 19:00:00

How to I undo whatever DX12-WSL-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-20.45.01.31-Dec15.exe did? Extremely frustrating to have to restart the computer at any random internet ad.

0 Likes
1 Solution
sittinhawk
Adept I

Wow, zero responses.  Also noticed that openGL is completely broken and unusable now.

I did find a pretty good work around:

1) Safely shut off AMD computer

2) Place AMD computer in dumpster

3) Go to the store and buy a new computer. It's very important to make sure that it does not contain the words "AMD", "Ryzen", or "Radeon." 

4) You're done, things will work now. You may now quit your job as an unpaid AMD tech support and go about your normal computing needs.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
sittinhawk
Adept I

Wow, zero responses.  Also noticed that openGL is completely broken and unusable now.

I did find a pretty good work around:

1) Safely shut off AMD computer

2) Place AMD computer in dumpster

3) Go to the store and buy a new computer. It's very important to make sure that it does not contain the words "AMD", "Ryzen", or "Radeon." 

4) You're done, things will work now. You may now quit your job as an unpaid AMD tech support and go about your normal computing needs.

0 Likes