Sometimes need to unplug/replug AC power to get RX 6800 to POST

I'm using the following components:

• Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M Mortar
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 6800

Periodically, I observed the following problem:

1. Computer is working fine
  2. I put the computer to sleep
  3. I later try to take the computer out of sleep (by pressing keyboard)
  4. Computer "wakes up" (lights and fans turn on, etc), but the monitor continues to show "no signal". Looking at the Motherboard, I can see the VGA POST light is illuminated.
  5. Hard power cycle computer by holding the power button. The VGA light goes on again when it powers back up - monitor still shows "no signal".

I can resolve this by physically unplugging the AC power cable from the rear of the computer, waiting a few seconds, plugging it back in, and booting normally. This always fixes it.

It seems to me like the video card gets into a weird state, and even when the main power is turned off, the small amount of standby power supplied by the power supply keeps the video card in this weird state. Only by fully removing the standby power (by unplugging the power supply) is the problem solved. Similarly, I can correct the problem by physically unplugging the video card from the motherboard with the computer powered down (but the AC cable still attached), and plugging it back into the PCIe slot.

Has anybody else experienced this? Any known ways to fix it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

This error is more common than people think.

It occurs with Sleep in Windows 10.

Microsoft chose to issue a "modified sleep" state in Windows 10.

That state is only supported by Power supplies ATX 12V V2.51 and up.

In an earlier version of Windows 10, one could issue a command line to force Windows to use the older sleep state.

No Longer.

You may find settings in your BIOS similar to "Power supply idle mode"

The settings for this is (Auto/ Typical current idle / Low current Idle)    Choose Typical current idle

If you don't have that option, look for something called "C states"

Here you would want to disable the highest C-state  (like C6)  to  stop it from going into the deepest sleep.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

What make/model/wattage psu and windows version ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks for your questions.

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎4/‎24/‎2021
OS build 19043.1151
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3530.0

Power Supply is a Silverstone ST1000-P (1000W): https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=238

I've been using the same power supply for about 10 years, across lots of other hardware swaps.

0 Likes

Well you had a good run, time to upgrade psu to a modern standards one. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

This error is more common than people think.

It occurs with Sleep in Windows 10.

Microsoft chose to issue a "modified sleep" state in Windows 10.

That state is only supported by Power supplies ATX 12V V2.51 and up.

In an earlier version of Windows 10, one could issue a command line to force Windows to use the older sleep state.

No Longer.

You may find settings in your BIOS similar to "Power supply idle mode"

The settings for this is (Auto/ Typical current idle / Low current Idle)    Choose Typical current idle

If you don't have that option, look for something called "C states"

Here you would want to disable the highest C-state  (like C6)  to  stop it from going into the deepest sleep.

One thing I forgot to say is that the vast majority of the Power supplies out there are ATX 12V V2.4 which do not handle the deeper sleep correctly.

Thanks for your reply. My Power supply is atx version 2.3, so what you are saying makes sense.

The only relevant option I could find in the BIOS was "Global C-State Control" which I changed from "Auto" to "Disabled" (the only other option was "Enabled").

Seems like it would be better to just disable C6, but I didn't see an option to do that. This issue only occurs periodically, so I'll keep an eye on it, and hopefully this will prevent it from reoccurring.

0 Likes

Unfortunately, the issue just re-occurred, so that change to disable C-states in the BIOS didn't seem to help. Maybe there is still something in windows that I can change to affect the type of sleep it enters?

0 Likes

In Windows Power Plan Options you can disable Sleep or Hybrid Sleep or Hibernate manually.

0 Likes