Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sultanbrunei
Journeyman III

Sluggish windows performance after upgrading to new graphic card RX 550

PC Spec:

Intel Core i3-6100, H110MH PRO-D4, 8GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Radeon R9 270, LG monitor with 4096x2160 res.

Recently there seems to be a problem with some kind of artifacting with my graphic card's miniDP port, the only way to remove artifacting is to use HDMI port on my R9-270, however maximum resolution is only 2560x1600.

I bought a new ASUS RX 550 and a HDMI 2.0b cable to replace the R9 270. After installing the card, in the windows I removed all previous radeon applications, and then install all the application and driver from ASUS official website.

I immediately feel that the overall performance of windows (browsing, typing, mouse cursor drag) is becoming a bit sluggish compared to before the graphic card change. I have tried to install DDU, remove graphic card drivers, reboot, and then re-install driver through windows update, installed new adrenalin app from official AMD website. However, overall performance of windows is still a bit sluggish. This sluggish feel is much less felt when I change the resolution to 1920x1080.

Would anybody tell me, what did I do wrong?

0 Likes
4 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

The RX 550 is a considerably slower card than the R9 270.  It may be as simple as that.

An RX 560 would be a more or less modern card that's slightly faster.

0 Likes

Wow I did not know that.. I thought that since the RX 550 is much newer, and also it has 4GB RAM, it would be faster than my old graphic cards.

Would a 'little bit slower card' gives sluggish windows performance like what I experienced? Keyboard input seems 'heavy', like there is a lag between keypress and actual display in the monitor,.... mouse cursor seems heavy and draggy, opening up windows applications feels a little bit slower/heavy than before,... moving opened applications to left and right also feels like there is a little bit of 'ghosting' effect (just like when you used integrated graphic card)....

I thought that this class of GPU (RX 550) is sufficient enough for simple windows tasks on a 4096x2160 resolution, no ?

0 Likes

OR, could it be something related to the HDMI cable? Since I bought a generic HDMI 2.0 cable, would there be like FPS limitation of the cable, in cooperation to previously used MiniDP @R9 270?

0 Likes

Consider this thread solved.

Problem is due to refresh rate being set to 24Hz. Changed to 60Hz and everything seems back to normal.

0 Likes