cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

opinali
Journeyman III

Slow death of my 6800 XT Midnight Black

I bought this new card new in July and it worked perfectly for ~3mo, then I started suffering crashes/freezes, initially not too frequent so I attributed the problem to software causes (beta drivers, Windows 11, games, etc.). But it kept getting worse: crashes got more frequent, then I started to have instantaneous crash when starting any game, and finally black-screens that persisted with reboots, needing a few minutes of power-cycle to work again–but even this is not working anymore, I'm lucky if I get the card to work once in 20-30 attempts of power cycling. I tried to clear the CMOS, disable every "dangerous"option like DDR XMP or RBAR, tries other cables, other displays, tested the system with an old RX 580 that I had, enabled Windows's VBS, tested the WHQL driver, etc. In summary this GPU is completely toast... only the LEDs and fans turn on. Windows still boots perfectly, I can connect remotely via Remote Desktop or SSH, but I can see that the Radeon driver is not loaded and the card doesn't appear in the Device Manager i.e. it's not just a video-out problem, the card completely fails to function.

I just sent a warranty request to AMD since this is a first-party card, hoping for the best... anybody else have similar experiences?

0 Likes
0 Replies