cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mmkstarr
Journeyman III

shared gpu memory not used

When I open Task Manager and run my game, which is graphics-demanding, it indicates that most of the 512 MB or Dedicated GPU memory is used, but none of the 8 GB of Shared GPU memory is used. I set my game under Switchable Graphics to High Performance, so it should be using the chipset that has more GPU memory--the 8 GB.

Also, why isn't it automatically using shared GPU memory when Dedicated is saturated/at limit?

0 Likes
9 Replies
amplighter
Adept III

Don't always trust a Windows based system to automatically adjust to your growing needs. It would be best at this point to adjust the virtual memory settings manually. However if you're allowing AMD's interface to auto adjust, this could be an issue also. Therefore I can't speak for AMD's interface and would supply shut this down as not to have extra programs running in the background. This will  e something I'll have to look into upon the arrival of our new computer which also has or says shared or dedicated GB of memory.

If you need help adjusting your virtmem, just enter those key words within a search engine for more details. But typically adjustments consist of multiplying your RAM 2x that of what your system currently uses.

Most help videos say to maunally allocate more memory to your GPU through BIOS, but my bios does not have that option available. i think they must be referring to gaming desktops. I have  a Dell Inspiron laptop, so the bios can't change the memory allocation as I believe it is hard-wired. I just find it odd there's 8 GB memory and the GPU never uses it, according to Windows Task Manager / Performance.

0 Likes

Excerpt from MS Dev blog,

Query Dell forum as to how it works on your specific laptop model ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I am just surprised that AMD's support for one of their products is so poor. Dell technical support can't even remote SSH into my laptop, their's isn't too good either, and all they do is run a malware sweep. I was expecting some hardcore low-level driver reoptimization stuff, but I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

0 Likes
xtru
Journeyman III

GPU shared memory.PNG

Everyone is trying to explain how dificut it is to understand what Shared memory does. I DONT CARE. I just need a simple thing, to disable it. My games are barly running, system is crushing frequently with the last update 19.3.1, I am having alot of Imput lag. There use to be some settings in BIOS for memory share but they are gone now. I`ve tried alot of things, desable  / enable bios/graphics functions, nothing works.

I am loosing fate in AMD now. I cant see any reason why I should go trough all this hassle.

CPU FX8350

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming/Aura

GPU RX 580 Power Color 8GB

0 Likes

Topic is about laptop shared memory, wasting your time posting desktop issues on this post.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Was there ever a solution to this ? Brought my work laptop on vacation with me and cant get games to use more than 512 MB even though my system has 32 GB RAM, On older hardware there use to be a slider which existed that let you partition RAM. Does this not exist anymore.
GPU identifies it's self as AMD Radeon Graphics. Destiny 2 on low/low still cant run game trying to use
1GB / 496 MB of VRAM os after 5 min game slows down to the point I have to exit. Device manager says I should have 16GB total including shared RAM.

primelink_0-1654540963452.png

0 Likes
lucabrecel54235
Journeyman III

It would be best at this point to adjust the virtual memory settings manually. However if you're allowing AMD's interface to auto adjust, this could be an issue also.

0 Likes