cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ReshYaslord
Adept I

Screen goes black and GPU fans spin at max [Vega56]

This issue only occurred recently, sometimes when playing games my monitor would lose signal and the GPU fans would start spinning at their maximum, though I can still hear people talking on Discord and everything but that's it. Whenever this happens I have to restart the pc by fully shutting it down. I'm using the latest radeon driver
My specs:
GPU: Asus Strix vega56 (not OC)
CPU: Ryzen 3600 non-x
MB: B450 tomahawk non-max
PSU: Evga 650w GQ
RAM: 16Gb 3000mhz
W10: 20h2
Things I've tried:
Using DDU to roll back to older version of the GPU
Undervolting the gpu via WattMan.
Heating is not an issue as when the problem happens the GPU would be at 55-60C

0 Likes
1 Solution

As I anticipated, the clean windows installation fixed the problem. I don't know what caused it but now I'm glad that it's gone.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Try using the 20.8.3 driver first. That model PSU has a slew of complaints and it sounds like you're losing power. Discord has caused me problems as well, make sure it's up to date, possibly use onboard audio, a headset or sound card rather than the  AMD High Definition Audio, it might help. All else fails test your RAM, I use: MemTest Manual (hcidesign.com) and I sprang for the paid version to go to 800% coverage and it helped me narrow down an intermittent RAM issue.

"It worked before you broke it!"

I did all the things you mentioned but sadly the issue still exists. The problem also happens when I alt+tab... this is really weird. I guess I'll do a clean install of W10 and hope the issue will be gone for once and for good. I really appreciate the help

0 Likes

As I anticipated, the clean windows installation fixed the problem. I don't know what caused it but now I'm glad that it's gone.

0 Likes