Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kaxxi
Adept I

Screen freezing / stuttering every few seconds

Hello,

For some time now, I have been having screen lags where the screen would essentially stutter for a few seconds and this would be really annoying. This happens all the time, not just when I'm playing games.  Somehow, I managed to fix it by downloading the 20.4.2 driver and every morning, I would plug out my HDMI cable and plug it back in. That seemed to work. But then my computer occasionally blue-screened with the video error issue and I decided to update my drivers. Once I updated them to 20.7.1, the issue reoccured, and I have no idea what is causing the issue. Any help would really be appreciated.

I have tried many possible solutions such as disabling windows game bar, turning on HDMI support, lowering graphics but I am currently trying to revert my driver back to 20.4.2 and hopefully that will work but I'm not sure. I have also switched from HDMI to displayport but that didn't make a difference.

GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Phantom Gaming D 8G OC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2 x 8 GB 2666 MHz CAS 16

1 Solution
dk313
Adept I

To give an update on my problem, I was able to fix the VRAM issue by doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 2004. Originally I had just built a new pc and had installed a clean version of 1909 a few weeks before 2004 had initially released and at the time I didn't have any problems with game performance. But when 2004 did release I didn't receive the update right away and decided "what the heck why don't I just force it". Figured it wouldn't be that much of a problem. I didn't really have problems at first but as I updated my GPU drivers I started to notice I was starting to have stutters and freezing that got progressively worse. It wasn't until just recently that it was starting to get really bad. 

For whatever reason, I think forcing the upgrade in my case (from 1909 t0 2004) when my system wasn't ready was probably the culprit because now with a clean install of 2004 and drivers installed my games are running fast and smooth like they did when I was on 1909. 

Is it possible your problem is software related like my mine was and maybe you need to do a clean reinstallation of Windows?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
barfie
Adept I

Is your PSU powerful enough for that rig?

0 Likes

Yeah I've got 650 watts which should be enough

0 Likes

Run DDU and return to a driver that worked for you. Do report the issue to AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Many users have reported that only installing the driver through device manager sans the Radeon Settings and using a 3rd party utility also helps. Of course with that method you have no access to everything Radeon Settings has to offer if any of it is something you use. 

I have managed to revert my Driver to 20.4.2 which worked for some time, but it was a very lengthy process as DDU constantly gets stuck on "executing setupAPI remove audio controller".

It also gets stuck when I try and install / update the driver using device manager and I have no idea why.

When using AMD software installer (using factory reset option) it gets stuck on "uninstalling AMD software".

0 Likes

Are you running DDU from safemode? If you are then DDU should still make a logfile. Send that to wagnardsoft support and ask them for advice on that. 

Instead of the AMD reset. Have you tried just uninstalling the driver from windows like you do any app. Try that and see if that works. If if that finishes then run DDU again.  

You can also contact AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes

I am pasting part of a reply of another very smart user that was having some issues with installing the driver that seems to me to have some similarities to the issues you are having. 

This is from colesdav

"I know for a fact that Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 causes a black screen following installation on Windows 10 64bit Pro 19.09 with latest patches.

Before installing make sure any USB Hard Drives (containing games)  or USB sticks are removed because the first hurdle to overcome is that the Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 installer runs and then does something to the USB controllers on the motherboard causing a USB disconnect followed by reconnect, but fails to reconnect the keyboard and mouse. That hangs the PC and the install just stops.

I finally managed to get it to install following DDU 18.0.2.8 in safe mode disconnected from the internet - ensuring DDU Advanced Option "Prevent Drivers Download from Windows Updates ..." is OFF. Boot into Normal Mode. Run Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 installer with Factory Reset on. It reboots the PC and then installs, but Black screens the PC at the end of the install process.

I had to repeat the above but remove the HDMI lead from the RX Vega 64 Liquid just before the final "Post Factory Reset" install. I waited 30 minutes and then connected the HDMI lead. I managed to get display output. I then reconnect the internet."

0 Likes
dk313
Adept I

Have you tried checking your performance metrics while you're running a game? I've recently found on my RX 570 8GB with the latest beta drivers (20.7.2) that my VRAM usage has been creeping up and staying up. Going as high as 155% utilization and requiring me to restart my system in order to fix it. A lot of stuttering and freezing didn't start happening until I updated my windows 10 to 2004 and has been happening ever since.

Yeah I have checked, but the problem also occurs when I'm not playing games it can just happen when my GPU utilization is literally at 0%.

0 Likes
kaxxi
Adept I

I have reverted my GPU driver to 20.4.2 and sometimes it works fine (occasionaly like 5 minutes after I have booted my computer) but other times it will just be persistent and I am not sure what to do to make it go away.

Is it possible that it is not a GPU problem but possibly something else like my CPU or RAM?

0 Likes
dk313
Adept I

To give an update on my problem, I was able to fix the VRAM issue by doing a clean reinstall of Windows 10 2004. Originally I had just built a new pc and had installed a clean version of 1909 a few weeks before 2004 had initially released and at the time I didn't have any problems with game performance. But when 2004 did release I didn't receive the update right away and decided "what the heck why don't I just force it". Figured it wouldn't be that much of a problem. I didn't really have problems at first but as I updated my GPU drivers I started to notice I was starting to have stutters and freezing that got progressively worse. It wasn't until just recently that it was starting to get really bad. 

For whatever reason, I think forcing the upgrade in my case (from 1909 t0 2004) when my system wasn't ready was probably the culprit because now with a clean install of 2004 and drivers installed my games are running fast and smooth like they did when I was on 1909. 

Is it possible your problem is software related like my mine was and maybe you need to do a clean reinstallation of Windows?

0 Likes