Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

dirthurt
Adept III

Re: screen cutting out at high refresh rates and resolutions

Jump to solution

O.K. I just don't know anymore.

I tired another monitor, the issue somehow persists.

How is this even possible?

0 Likes
gdgamer
Adept I

Jump to solution

Do you have specifications or a link to the product page for the cables you're using. I realize you said it was working on the other card, but if you tried another monitor, and are using the native resolutions for those monitors in your settings, I'm sorry but it sounds like your cables.

Are you absolutely certain you were using the same resolution and refresh rate as your old video card? And when you answered my question earlier, you said you were using the same cables. I asked if EVERYTHING else besides the old card was the same, or was it all the same before you started swapping other parts and formatted windows?

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Jump to solution

I don't have any links to the cables sadly. Two are brand new (HDMI and DP both came with the monitor). Another DP is from Dell, and another HDMI was, I think, and Insignia one that I got in a pack that works fine with a PS4 Pro (4K HDR). So, surely all those cables aren't all bad.

It was definitely the same resolutions, except when I just tested on my TV. That was 4K 60 fps. Same issue there.

The only two parts i haven't swapped out at this point are the Ryzen 1700 and Corsair Ripjaws Ram. I've swapped mobo, PSU, removed all components (USB, PCI, etc).

Both keep passing my tests... Prime 95 and Memtest, but it just has to be one of those, unless XFX as a brand has an issue (both the cards I've tried were XFX RX 580s).

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Jump to solution

The issue is definitely still happening on my TV.

The only things I haven't tried swapping are the CPU and the ram.

Neither of which sounds right to me, but which is more likely?

0 Likes
gdgamer
Adept I

Jump to solution

1. Have you installed the monitor driver?

2. If you're using HDMI, makes sure it's plugged into the second HDMI port, as that's the only one that supports 144Hz. I'm guessing you've tried DP also, which should support it as well, but just checking).

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Jump to solution

Strangely, there doesn't seem to be a driver for this monitor. Not that I can find. Tried the Windows update method also with no luck.

The same issue happened on a 4K TV at 60hz, so i'm not sure that's it.

yeah, same issue on HDMI and DP.

Did find one thing. Switching the "high performance" power plan changes the issue a bit. Instead of just a black screen, I'm getting "no signal".

Does this mean anything to anyone?

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Jump to solution

O.K.

So, the plot thickens. Testing more games, Doom, Dark Souls 3, and Quantum break, none of these games have the problem.

However, Warframe, and Quake Champions does.

Also, the issue is happening with more resolutions than I realized. Even 1080p/60 in Warframe will do it on occasion.

So...probably not a hardware thing. It has to be something software.

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Jump to solution

So, I finally figured it out.

The latest driver was reporting the temperatures a bit on the generous side.I went all the way back to 16.7.1 I think it was, and the temperatures read much different. I found that I was actually hitting around 79-81 degrees, and every time it would hit this range it would black out.

Fan curves and target temps later and now I'm able to keep from blacking out, by limiting my temperature to nothing higher than 75 degrees (which seems really low to be blacking out).

Is this low enough that I should consider it defective, or should I just roll with that?

0 Likes
dirthurt
Adept III

Jump to solution

nevermind, the issue came back.

I tried swapping with yet another card (same model as it's the only option I have locally) and the option still persists.

I can't decide if it's an issue with this model card (heat management issues perhaps), or maybe something with the processor or ram? It seems like the processor and ram would cause some other issue also though, so not likely.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Jump to solution

You haven't mentioned what program you are using to configure your AMD GPU Card.

Have you tried using AMD WATTMAN to configure your resolutions and power requirements?  Here is tutorial about Wattman : How to Tune GPU Performance Using Radeon Wattman and Radeon Chill .

I have read that you need to configure the RX 5xx series cards to be more stable.

Note: be sure that you uninstall any 3rd party GPU controllers like MSI Afterburner. They tend to not be totally compatible with AMD Wattman.

0 Likes