cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

skimmie
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Sapphire RX Vega 64 Watercooled Version, Bluescreen during driver installation

I hope that 1080ti will solve your issues. I would be interested to hear how things went once you're done.

I decided to upgrade my whole system to a Ryzen build and am currently watching the 3DMark Timespy bemchmark running flawlessly for the third time on Windows 10 64 bit so I'm happy, even if it meant having to upgrade sooner than planned.

dvcelica
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Sapphire RX Vega 64 Watercooled Version, Bluescreen during driver installation

24 hours after i sent the card back, amd updated my support ticket with the following

"Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200767123]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the email.

I understand you are getting atikmdag.sys or BSOD when trying to update driver on your computer equipped with AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 graphics card running on windows 10 operating system.

However you are not experiencing any issue if you are using windows 7 operating system.

This issue may occur if GPU is taking more time than permitted to display graphics to your monitor or if the TDR setting is set to low. Delaying the TDR time will resolve the issue.

I would suggest you to refer the below links and try the Timeout Detection and Recovery suggestion provided in the thread which have resolved the issue for many users.

https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2665946

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/737-27116RadeonSeries-ATIKMDAGhasstoppedrespondingerr...

Thank you for contacting AMD."

As i no longer have my vega to test, can one of you guys try the suggested workaround?

0 Kudos
jrwalte
Adept I
Adept I

I ended up doing the same thing. Was planning to build in the fall but got Vega 64 on launch day to run on my Alienware external GPU. But it didn't support the new Vega. So next day I just decided to build then and built an 1800x rig.

The Vega runs well, but honestly, if I wasn't locked to AMD with a good freesync 1440p 144hz monitor, I'd go with 1080Ti for the $600 this Vega cost me. It isn't worth more than its MSRP.

0 Kudos
daveng
Adept I
Adept I

I don't have much time to test, but I tried adding the TdrDelay=8 setting they suggest and it didn't change anything. BSOD just like before.

0 Kudos
ced971
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Same problem here with a vega56.  I tried TdrDelay=8/16, including AMD 's troubleshooting guide Troubleshooting Common AMD Graphics Driver Installation Problems and still the same issue.  Like you i will have to return the card to the retailer.

0 Kudos
jimbu
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Just got my Vega 56 and I am getting this exact issue with my X58 setup. I tried the TdrDelay and it did not help.

Not happy about this. Anyone found a fix yet besides installing Windows 7?

0 Kudos
dvcelica
Adept I
Adept I

Here is a short update on my situation.

I posted my card back to the retailer, they sent it on for testing and have just today informed me that the card is defective and have offered me a replacement or refund.I was going to get a 1080ti but given that they found the card itself to be at fault and not a freak conflict with something in my system, I think im going to sit on that for a week or so and wait for the ROG strix vega 64 to hit the shelves then ask for store credit towards it.

0 Kudos
skimmie
Adept I
Adept I

I tried this when I was still experimenting with the old Intel X58 platform (I found references to that fix online back then) and it didn't work for me, either.

As I said before though, my card is now working flawlessly on the new platform.

0 Kudos
confusedpanda
Adept I
Adept I

Same issue here - I've got a Z68 chipset which is BSOD on install of drivers for Vega 56 with same error as above post.

0 Kudos
slu
Adept I
Adept I

So ooks like im in the same boat....

Gigabyte ga-z68xp-ud3 with 2500k - had a r9 290 for years, no issue.... uninstall all old drivers on win10 x64 - plug in new card, fire up, start to install 17.8.1 and 17.8.2 (both same) - instant bluescreen with the atikmdag.sys as soon as the driver starts to initialise (i hear the new hardware sound in windows, and boom bluescreen).

This is truly awful amd - how on earth does this slip through the net, and still no response a week later....

get my new card in time for the weekend only to find i have to plumb my 290 back in.