cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

skimmie
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Sapphire RX Vega 64 Watercooled Version, Bluescreen during driver installation

Update: I installed Windows 7 yesterday. Updated to service pack 1 and installed the VEGA driver without any issues! I haven't been able to test anything yet though other than playong around with the graphics and driver settings but so far its working fine. Hopefully I will be able to test more today after all other windows updates have been installed.

0 Kudos
skimmie
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Sapphire RX Vega 64 Watercooled Version, Bluescreen during driver installation

I have updated my own post. I've had some success with installing Win 7.

0 Kudos
dvcelica
Adept I
Adept I

Can you update with more information as soon as soon as you are able to test?

0 Kudos
paxi
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

@skimmie:

Glad to hear it worked out I will try out Win7 for sure than as well. I just need it until Z370 boards with Coffeelake come out. Than I will switch my old SandyBridge anyways. Don't really want to buy a X299 or Threaripper yet. AM4 is kinda not what I want.

@devclica
"I just tried my vega in a pcie 3 machine and have a new issue (bsod as soon as it opens the driver package)."
This sounds a bit weird to me, using a PCI-E 3.0 should not have any issues from what I can say by now. You sure everything else is in condition, especially your power supply?

0 Kudos
dvcelica
Adept I
Adept I

paxi​ , The pcie 3.0 machine is my best mates gaming rig, it runs fine. We pulled a pair of GTX 770s out of the machine and uninstalled the nvidia drivers, installed the vega...tried to install the driver package and BSOD after it had extracted the files and opened the actual installer. 1200w PSU

0 Kudos
dvcelica
Adept I
Adept I

I just tried 17.8.2...same issue..im not formatting my system and installing win 7 just to get a video card to work...ill take the vega back on monday and exchange it for a 1080ti

skimmie
Adept I
Adept I

I tried 17.8.2 in Windows 10 as well; didn't work for me either.

So far the card is running fine under Windows 7 though. I ran the 3DMark firestrike ultra benchmark and the built in benchmarks for Total War: Warhammer and Alien Isolation, all of which completed just fine. I don't think the card is the issue here; rather the Windows 10 drivers are causing the problem.

-Edit- Also ran Unigine Valley and Unigine Superposition (the latter in 8K mode, which uses almost all of the Vega's RAM) and they, too, completed just fine on Windows 7.

I think it's time to migrate to Ryzen

paxi
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I would say it is quite obvious in the meanwhile that this is issue is related to Win 10 x64 and having a PCI-E 2.0 motherboard.

The card also runs fine under Win7 x64 from what I tried so far.I run 3DMark Firstrike, Counter-Strike and The long dark.
I had the card connected to a single PCI-e power cable first with 2 8 pin connectors and the system rebootet two times before starting a heavy load test, while using a profile above Balanced in WattMan, while WattMan was open. I did not happen again (so far) after I used two separate cables and closed the WattMan window in addition (so I am not sure what exactly was the cause..)
I will look-out if this issue occurs one more time over the weekend now with using two separate cables.

If not, the cards seems totally fine (from HW side) and I will keep it. I can live with having Win 7 for now and will go back to Win 10 after I bought my new Coffeelake system. Glad I have a separate drive for all my important data and games..

0 Kudos
dvcelica
Adept I
Adept I

I just installed win7 on a spare drive to test before sending the card back. I could install the drivers fine and the card seemed to perform well, until I tried to put it under significant load, it would cause the machine to just reboot. Did this with both my 750w power supply and a 1200w power supply i borrowed from a friends machine. Im about to head off to the post office to send the card back. **EVEN** if its not a hardware issue, being forced to run an OS that I dont own, and can no longer purchase is not an acceptable resolution. I will be trading it in for store credit and purchasing a 1080ti. It will be the first Nvidia I have owned in 15 years, and im not happy about it but keeping this vega is not an option for me at this point. unforutnately

0 Kudos
daveng
Adept I
Adept I

My Gigabyte RX Vega 64 just arrived and I have exactly the same problem. BSOD (atikmdag.sys) when Windows 10 64bit loads if 17.8.2 drivers were pre-installed with my R9 290. BSOD when the drivers are being installed if the Vega is already in the machine. Same problem with different drivers downloaded from the Gigabyte website.

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 (F6 bios) with i7 2700k

Corsair AX850 PSU

16GB Mushkin Blackline RAM

0 Kudos