Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

fragosus
Adept I

Sapphire RX 480 8GB Nitro+ crash and computer restart

Jump to solution

Hi,

I bought a Sapphire RX 480 8GB Nitro+ graphics card a couple of weeks ago. It works perfectly when idle, but randomly crashes during playing games (usually crashes after 30 minutes of gameplay). It causes black screen, then corrupted screen then black screen again, after this my PC restarts. No errors message, the only time I got an error message it said Video device removed then restarted. The windows error message after the restart is blue screen. I had no problems with my old Gigabyte R9 270 OC, so that is I'm asking for help.

My system:

• Sapphire RX 480 8GB Nitro+
  • CPU: Intel i5 4590 3,3GHz
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 Fury 1600MHz
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA1150 Z97-HD3
  • Power: Chieftec 550W CTG-550-80P OEM

I tried the following things:

• driver clean install (now I have the latest crimson 16.12.1)
  • I tried tresstesting it with Furmark. Could not recreated the problem.
  • tried to set power efficiency on

I tried it with the following games:

• Total War: Warhammer (no issue)
  • Batman Arkham Knight
  • Shadow of Mordor

Could it be that it is a faulty card or is it a common driver issue? Do AMD working on a fix?

Thanks for the help in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
redfury
Big Boss

Re: Sapphire RX 480 8GB Nitro+ crash and computer restart

Jump to solution

1.Update your BIOS​ and chipset drivers+ME driver​(you need this hot fix for ME installation)

2.Your win 7 must be fully updated (critical and recommended updates) If you cannot perform auto update see this article

3.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 or 16.12.2 driver

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

Aside from your max (on a very good day) 450W psu, maybe setting graphics to suit games (read some game graphics tweak guides).

Keep in mind, you have a higher end mid range card (older r9 390x is better imo).

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
0 Likes
fragosus
Adept I

Jump to solution

The TDP for rx 480 nitro+ and r9 270 is the same 150W. As far as I understand the power supply's peak output has to be 550W. Can explain how you calculate it's only 450W please? I just want to make sure that it's really power supply related problem. I thought rx480 would be more efficient than r9 270 with the same TDP.

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

Jump to solution

1.Update your BIOS​ and chipset drivers+ME driver​(you need this hot fix for ME installation)

2.Your win 7 must be fully updated (critical and recommended updates) If you cannot perform auto update see this article

3.Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 or 16.12.2 driver

View solution in original post

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

Mate, nothing personal, but I think your "blank page" download links are a bit off putting.

There are many newbies (who don't always supply correct info),who may take it as gospel, links with the actual page info would be much preferable.

There's no points/glory contest here, we all gain insight from possible suggested solutions.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

Jump to solution

I started to use that "blanks" for people which cannot provide correct info about their system.

But i think release notes from that "blanks" may be quite useful for any users.

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

Not sure, IE/edge/chrome, all show this for me on many of your driver/bios links,

Basically a direct download link, no info.

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

Jump to solution

Yes. I make direct links on files like BIOS and branded drivers because language of original source may confuse some people.

If you are Chinese (for example) you may don't want to see too many unnecessary foreign words on download page

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

For example, your link to DDU program, is info peeps can read, then choose to download.

0 Likes
redfury
Big Boss

Jump to solution

That page contains some useful info, but stupid design may force people to download wrong DDU version.

The last version is on bottom of the list  Idiots

It may be the cause for that cases, when DDU couldn't help. Probably i will provide direct links to the latest DDU version

0 Likes