cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SAPPHIRE REFERENCE 7900 XTX GPU JUNCTION 110C Problem and My Support Request

Hello, first of all I wish you a happy new year. I hope you will help me solve the problem I am having and I will start the new year happy. I've been using AMD products for about 20 years, my latest graphics card is the XFX 6800 XT Merc and I was very happy with it. I eagerly awaited the release of the 7900 series and on 28.12.2022 I purchased a SAPPHIRE 7900 XTX REFERENCE DESIGN (AMD MANUFACTURE) card with serial number 11W2249100730 and PN 21322-01-20G.

But I had a GPU JUNCTION 110C problem with my Sapphire Referance 7900 XTX graphics card.

After installing, I noticed that the GPU Junction temperature reached 110c, which is the GPU temperature limit, in a very short time during the game, and therefore the thermal protection came into play, reducing the GPU speed of 2500 mhz, which is the minimum boost speed that the card should work, to 2470 mhz.
In addition, due to this excess of heat, the fans work very loudly at full speed, and at the same time, a high amount of coil buzzing, which is called COIL WHINE, occurs.
Also, when I lay the case on its side and run the card in an upright position, the temperature drops from 110c to 95c, as you can appreciate, this is not a normal situation.

Later, when I researched the subject on the Internet, I read that some cards with a temperature problem of 110c exist on some different AMD reference design 7900XTXs, such as my card.

In addition, due to this excess of heat, the fans work very loudly at full speed, and at the same time, a high amount of coil buzzing, which is called COIL WHINE, occurs.

Also, when I lay the case on its side and run the card in an upright position, the temperature drops from 110c to 95c, as you can appreciate, this is not a normal situation.
And I can't use the card like this.

I sent the video card to Sapphire service in my country (Turkey) with a request for RMA and refund or exchange with a special cooler model.
In this process, I would like you to share with me an information letter that I can give to Sapphire service that will support my request for a refund or exchange with a special cooler model.

Good work, best regards,
Murat Bayrakci

0 Likes
13 Replies

Take a look at this. There might be difficult times ahead for AMD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Lxydc-3K8

Francobér
Adept III

happy new year first of all
The whole problem is due to cooler design. On Videocardz.com is a very good video of Der 8auer embedded the this problem very well describes. I have also ordered a card from Saphire and have yesterday evening my right to 14 days right of return and revocation of my contract submitted. I do not know now how it looks in Turkey with it, but that should be in your terms and conditions to read.
Keep your fingers crossed that you get the card exchanged without any problems.

AMD Ryzen 5600X, Asrock X570 Steel Legend, 32GB G Skill Trident Z Royal Gold, AMD Rx 7900XTX, Gygabyte G34WQC
0 Likes

yes I watched the video, the problem is very big and it doesn't seem to be solved. There is an unconditional return right for 14 days in online shopping in Turkey, but I bought it from the store and the hardware has to go to the technical service for purchases from the store.
Thank you for your good wishes.

0 Likes
Andre267
Journeyman III

I got the exact same Problem.

I got a 7900 XTX from Sapphire and the Temp goes up to 105°C+.

I watched der8auers Video also and i am trying to contact AMD about that, but i cann't find any Mail Adress.

I found a Phone Number but i got something else to do other than waiting 2h+ on there Hotline.

Any Ideas?

0 Likes

If it came from Sapphiretech (even if Ref design) you would contact them re warranty/rma.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Ouh sry, no i got my from Mindfactory in Germany.
But it is a Sapphire Version of the 7900 XTX. 

0 Likes

Hi Andre,

if you are still within your 14-day return window, I'd think about using it and contacting Mindfactory directly about the issue. I don't know how much you paid for the card, especially since Mindfactory has raised their prices for reference cards quite dramatically since launch, so if you paid more than 1300€ anyways, I'd actually think about simply returning it for a full refund.

If your return windows has already ended, you might still want to contact Mindfactory, as Sapphire is actually handling all their RMA and warranty issues via the shops who sell their products. Over the last seven years I had two Sapphire cards failing, in one case Caseking handled the RMA, in the other one Mindfactory handled it. With Mindfactory I actually used Sapphires support ticket system, but the whole process was finally handled by Mindfactory.

Sapphires German support page is here:

https://www.sapphiretech.com/de-de/cs_consumer

With the global version of their website, you can find a support ticket system:

https://support.sapphiretech.com/Default.asp?lang=eng

0 Likes

Unfortunately AMD does not have an email address.
I sent an e-mail to Sapphire support team but got no response.
I'm thinking of posting on my social media accounts now.

support@sapphiretech.de

0 Likes

Happy new year Murat,

sad to see another case of overheating XTX reference cards. First off, I don't know anything about customer rights in Turkey and have no clue how things are handled over there. However in most of EU Europe and North America, Sapphire actually handles warranty issues with the dealers who are selling their products. Of course you can contact Sapphire directly, but ultimately, that has been my own experience in two cases within the last ~10 years, they will contact your dealer anyways.

Sapphire has a support ticket system which I used the last time when my Radeon VII died, you can find it here:

https://support.sapphiretech.com/Default.asp?lang=eng

As for further information regarding the thermal issues with the reference cards, the by now well known video by der8auer of course is a great way to start. Tom's Hardware Guide had a short article a couple of days ago, in which they stated a rather dull response from AMD, basically telling people to contact support.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-responds-to-rx-7900-xtx-hotspot-fiasco

Power Color has a subreddit, where one of their reps told customers from North America to contact support if their cards are suffering from the thermal issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PowerColor/comments/zrzcfc/7900xt_7900xtx_junction_temperatures/

0 Likes

Thanks for the good wishes.
Sapphire support team responded to my message and asked me for some information, temperature, horizontal usage, vertical usage etc.
I have shared the information and am waiting for the result.
I will share the positive or negative result.

Yes, please keep us updated. In my experience, Sapphire support is a bit slow to respond, but they were helpful and in both cases offered a generous solution for my RMA requests. So I am hoping they will handle these obvious cases of defect cards just as well.

0 Likes

Hi friends, let me update for the situation;

At the end of my e-mail correspondence with Sapphire headquarters and Sapphire Turkey distributor Arena Computer Company for days, I received the following e-mail and message from Sapphire this morning;

"Dear Sir;

Our distributor has sent us an RMA request for this card, we will follow our RMA procedure to resolve the situation.

Please check with them again.

"Thanks."

I am currently waiting for RMA and refund approval from the distributor company, I hope it will be approved.

Francobér
Adept III

I have an update due to my return of the Sapphire 7900XTX reference design. I got a new card from my shipper without any problems and the values are optimal. GPU at idle 39 degrees and hotspot 50 degrees. The problem is probably due to the batch of cards concerned.

AMD Ryzen 5600X, Asrock X570 Steel Legend, 32GB G Skill Trident Z Royal Gold, AMD Rx 7900XTX, Gygabyte G34WQC
0 Likes