Hey guys, these are my specs:

Sapphire R9 390 Nitro 8GB with backplate

Windows 10 64bit

Asus VX248

Asus Z-170 A

Intel i5 6600K

bequiet! pure power 10 600w

16GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz

I started getting blackscreens about 6 months ago. The blackscreens happen when im playing heavy 3D games like AC: Odyssey (not that often) but also when i play old games like Warcraft 3 or CS:GO in stretched 4:3 with low resolution (often). Im also getting blackscreens when im browsing in Firefox and watching Twitch-streams.

The blackscreen wont go away so i have to hold the power button for some seconds. I can not see my cursor or anything but im still in Teamspeak, able to both hear and speak.

I can sometimes reproduce the blackscreen by playing AC:Odyssey and alt-tabbing out of the game.

When i get a blackscreen once and restart my system the next one often happens seconds after my desktop is loaded.

Here is what i already tried to do:

- Changed my PSU from a Thermaltake Berlin 640W to bequiet! pure power 10 600W

- Used Memtest to check the RAM

- Used MSI Afterburner to check temperatures (max. 73°C in AC: Odyssey)

- Tried BIOS 3802 and 3703

- Clean installed AMD-drivers using DDU

- Tried many different drivers: 18.12.1, 18.10.1, 18.9.3, 18.7.1

- Disabled all energy saving/efficiency options in AMD-drivers

- Disable ULPS in MSI Afterburner and forced constant voltage

- Went from 1040/1500 to 1040/1400

- Used 1040/750 for 2D and 1040/1400 for 3D

- Used 1/2 cables from my PSU to support my GPU

- Used Clockblocker to stop the fluctuation from 150 to 1500Mhz

- Used the Sapphire-button to change the cards BIOS

- Flashed the cards BIOS to use the version for Hynix memory instead of stock Elpida (Hynix-version seems more stable until now)

- Enabled/disabled Intel HD Graphics

- Disabled automatic Windows updates

....... and some more things.

An interesting thing i found out yesterday was, that the RadeonSettings.exe stopped working in Windows reliability-report. I checked the task-manager and found that the exe.-file was stuck in a queue. After i fixed that, there are no more radeon-settings app-crashes in the report. In it's place there now appears a hardware-error (LiveKernelEvent; Code 144; Parameters: 3003; fffffd8cb25c25c8; 40010000; 0), aswell as a

0 Likes
9 Replies

In Radeon Settings, set your Power Limit Slider to it's maximum. This may alleviate this issue. Afterburner is known to be unstable with Radeon Drivers since the introduction of the Adrenaline drivers. If you are going to continue to use afterburner make sure you use the latest version and only do a minimal install of the AMD driver. I however suggest you uninstall Afterburner and run DDU and install the AMD driver again. Then in Radeon Settings, set your Power Limit Slider to it's maximum. This may alleviate this issue.

0 Likes

This didnt solve or alleviate the issue.

I tried going back to driver version 18.2.1 WHQL today and ran into the blackscreen again as i watched a Twitch-stream in Firefox/played Warcraft 3.
I then plugged my 390 off and used my IntelHD and when i entered my desktop there was a popup of amd-installer software saying that driver version 17.50.17.03-180131a-323831c is currently installed - i installed 18.2.1 though!

When i clicked the user defined deinstallation it gave me the following info:
AMD Settings: Version 2018.0131.1849.33856

Display driver: 23.20.15017.3010

HDMI audio: 10.0.1.06

Is that the problem where windows automatically installs a 2017 driver? i thought i fixed that by disabling the auto-update.

Run DDU from wagnardsoft_com,  from safe mode.

Disconnect the Internet

Restart and Install the driver you want, choose custom / clean install.

Restart with Internet Back on.
Move the Power Limit Back to it's maximum.

0 Likes

I followed your instructions but got the blackscreen again right when AMD Settings were loaded (2 seconds after the desktop is shown).
In the reliability report now appears:

Radeon Settings: Host application

Beschreibung

Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung:    C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\RadeonSettings.exe

Problemsignatur

Problemereignisame:    APPCRASH

Anwendungsname:    RadeonSettings.exe

Anwendungsversion:    10.1.2.1741

Anwendungszeitstempel:    5bbe762c

Fehlermodulname:    RadeonSettings.exe

Fehlermodulversion:    10.1.2.1741

Fehlermodulzeitstempel:    5bbe762c

Ausnahmecode:    c00000fd

Ausnahmeoffset:    00000000003c3eb8

Betriebsystemversion:    10.0.17134.2.0.0.256.48

Gebietsschema-ID:    1031

Zusatzinformation 1:    69dd

Zusatzinformation 2:    69dd2cbb7d6b69830b2ed005860f140d

Zusatzinformation 3:    8792

Zusatzinformation 4:    8792211ae2ddd66b5aa54b78b9ec585d

I opened the AMD folder and recognized that there is no folder "\CNext\CNext" at all. I only have "\CNext\CNBranding".

You can try that card in another PC and see if it still has issue. If it does at least you know it is an issue with the card. If not then you have an issue with Windows. If it is driver related and or Windows related the advice I gave typically works. I am not sure what to offer from here forward. Maybe someone else will offer some advice. I think if I were you I would go ahead and ask AMD for advice. Online Service Request | AMD

You could also ask Sapphire, the company you bought the card from for help or RMA if it is still by chance under warranty.

0 Likes

I ran CCleaner and it found fragments of the MSI Afterburner. After I deleted these, there was no more blackscreen and AMD Settings loaded properly. Power Limit is set to 50+ now in 18.10.1 WHQL.
I will report if the blackscreen issues come back.

Thx for your help pokester​!!!

Cool! Mark my first answer as correct please!

0 Likes

Firefox ran into blackscreen after some minutes again, while idling on desktop didnt  produce a crash.

rispox
Adept I

Finally got stable 2D (3 hours without crashes on firefox) by doing this:

1. Deinstall programms like MSI Afterburner

2. Deinstall AMD drivers with DDU in safe mode

3. Use CCleaner to clean folders/registry

4. Install AMD drivers

5. Enter regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000

6. In the \0000 folder add DWORD 32-bit key and name it: PP_AllGraphicLevel_DownHyst          set value decimal to 100

7. In the \0000 folder add DWORD 32-bit key and name it: PP_AllGraphicLevel_UpHyst               set value decimal to 0

8. In the \0000 folder add DWORD 32-bit key and name it: PP_Activity Target                                 set value decimal to 30

6. Restart your PC

7. Open AMD settings, go to games tab, click global settings, go to global wattman tab, set power limit to +50, apply

8. Shut down your PC

(optional: 9. Enter your BIOS and load optimized defaults)

For further information on steps 5-8 take a look at: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/477ot0/how_to_fix_fury_x_clock_throttling_on_radeon/