cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mikken7
Adept I

sapphire pulse radeon rx 580 8gb

I need a help to lower my GPU temp, when playing the gpu getting very hot. Im playing on 1080p have my gpu drivers updated, using custum fan curve and the only solution to lower the temp when im playing to not hit the 80C+ is cap my fps on the games... My gpu model is OC by default and is running the 1366mhz. I try undervolting from 1150mv to 1130mv but nothing... Really need help with some undervolt or underclock to try lower the gpu temps when playing coz really sucks that this gpu is going so hot... and the temp problem is only when im playing video games, the rest of the time is perfect.

0 Likes
15 Replies

There are usually some in game graphics settings that can overtax a card which can be lowered with minimal impact of graphics quality.

Find some (name of game) graphics performance tweak guides.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

hi there, the only way is lowering the resolution or cap the fps and this sucks.... nothing more helps and I try all. For example playing The Division 2 on 1080p with no fps cap, with med grapphic settings the gpu go 80C, I try to play with all grapphic settings on low and its the same, the only thing that helps is if I cap the fps to 65fps. I try Battlefield 5 and Back 4 Blood and its the same, need to cap the fps or the gpu go hot.

0 Likes

Post your system specs as required  HERE 

0 Likes

sapphire pulse radeon rx 580 8gb

PC Destop

windows 10 64bits

adrenaline 21.6.1

samsung 1920x1080 60hz HDMI

Ryzen 7 2700

Asus Prime B450M-A, BIOS 2006

Mars Gaming Vulcano 750W 80 plus silver semi modular

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 pc4 25600 16gb 2x8gb cl16

0 Likes

If your card is NOT under warranty anymore, you can try replacing the thermal paste like the screenshots I posted here:

https://community.amd.com/t5/discussions/rx-580-8gb-black-screen/m-p/481482#M17644

Otherwise you might need to get into contact with your card's manufacturer.

Furthermore, 80C is still safe for a RX 580, they usually only start thermal throttling at 90C.

0 Likes

on normal work the gpu temps are fine, ambient temp 30C and my gpu temp when im not playing games is 35C, the problem come when start playing video games so i think the thermal paste are good no need to change it.

0 Likes

@mikken7 

I hear you, there might also be something that has changed in the drivers, causing temperatures to rise in Polaris GPUs lately.

Like I said and also refer to in that link, maybe first investigate that your GPU is in fact thermal throttling, meaning the clockspeeds lower when you hit approximately 85C and > 80% auto FAN speeds.

Kind regards

0 Likes

Go to tuning 

under fan setting choose manual

than disable zero rpm

0 Likes

I have 0 rpm removed from the day 1 and custom curve too lol

0 Likes

Hi @mikken7 

Even though your normal temp is 35C does not necessarily mean the thermal paste is in good condition, since you have the zero rpm feature disabled probably means your fans are always spinning, therefore giving the illusion that the GPU is relatively cool, when in fact when the actual workload (gaming) starts the temperature probably rises very quickly.

30C room temperature is quite hot, I know because we live in South Africa and in the summer it easily gets about 33C here, which means it is almost impossible to keep a RX 480 under 80C.

Furthermore, since you are stating you have a custom curve I think you should also have your power limit set to +50%, since what people do not realize is once you remove auto fan speed the GPU does not have enough power to maintain proper clock-speeds while giving enough power to maintain the custom fan-speed and keep temperatures below 80C.

Sequentially, like I proposed you should investigate if your GPU is thermal throttling when you are using the stock standard presets (fan speeds to auto, clockspeeds at sapphire defaults, e.g. factory reset settings). Then check if your clock-speeds are downclocking when you get the following scenario: 85-90C with auto fan-speed > 80% and power usage >= 105W in a game with high GPU load; if it is the case you can really consider neatly re-doing your thermal paste with something like DeepCool Z5, otherwise if your stock auto settings is able to maintain < 83C temperature for minutes on end without the clock-speeds dropping bellow 1240-1366Mhz, your GPU is operating within it's thermal specifications which is 90C limit.

Furthermore, it is desired to use a frame-rate limiter or VSync when your GPU is under stress, even though they should be able to operate unlocked, since it prevents thermal compounds from wearing out sooner; and it would depend per game with which frame-rate limits you would want to use. I understand one gets addicted to the low input delay of high refresh rates, but you can actually get better input response by limiting to frame-rates which allows some headroom before any component start to bottleneck.

For example, lets say in CSGO you are getting 160-175FPS when the system is being maxed out, you can possibly get better input response by limiting to 150FPS, or you can even set Radeon Chill between 100-150FPS and you are going to get much quicker input response times and temperature for the specific scenario.

Edit: @Radley your problem can be related to what I described above, or the current driver crashes RX480's/RX580's are experiencing.

Kind regards

0 Likes

nobody here have the same model gpu? ill like to see if someone here have the same one and how his gpu run playing video games on 1080p.

0 Likes

I have a MSI's best RX 480 and my brother has the Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse, and while his GPU stays a bit colder than mine, his RX 580 still hits 80C.

Like I said, they are designed to keep max boost while below 90C, but in some cases starts throttling sooner as I have described.

Still not sure if you are experiencing technical issues because of the 80C?

0 Likes

No I dont have any other problems only the temp, for now Im playing with fps cap at 70 and my temp stay at 65-70C its the only way to not hit that 80C+

Well I am glad to hear you are not experiencing any other problems.

You must remember this is going to depend on which game you are playing; for example, a game that is struggling to maintain 50fps GPU-side is still going to hit 80C because your GPU will be under max load even with the FPS cap at 70FPS.

So you want to look out for scenarios that cause the GPU to run at max load and not necessarily how high the FPS is, but it is still better to use either VSync or a FPS cap.

Like I said, 80C is safe, but you should get a bit more concerned at 85C-90C. Since your room temperature is hot (30C +), things that might help is a computer case that stays cooler and has better airflow. Furthermore, you might try and get two fans for the top of the case to extract more air.

In the extreme case one would want to do custom liquid cooling on the GPU (which I have not), but in my case I have a Corsair H100i v2 for my CPU that mounts with two top fans and helps in extracting hot air in the case as well.

Lastly, better and perfectly placed thermal paste also helps 2C-5C degrees in some scenarios.

0 Likes

Hi I have a SapphirePulse RX 580 8gb gpu and weird things happening, as soon as i enter a game than the i loose signal on my display, the card is fairly new. I got it to work after it has done that and i was very happy with the result only for about 3days.

than the problem started again.

I really need help.

Specs - i7 2600

8g DDR3 Ram

0 Likes