Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

SeanSMST
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3500U unstable and unusually low clock speed during games

Hello,

I have pretty much given up trying to make what I'll discuss work so hopefully someone can help me out. Heads up, I'm tech literate so things like asking about updating bios and drivers, battery/power settings and so on I already know about and gone through.

I got the Lenovo Ideapad C340-14API about 9 months ago and constantly struggling to get the cpu to actually work properly. The cpu is an AMD Ryzen 5 3500U quad core at base 2.10ghz and max 3.7ghz boosted with Radeon Vega 8 gpu. Everytime I play a game it will either just go right down to about 1.4ghz and stay pretty much under 2ghz the entire time or other times when I'm using tools like quickcpu, ryzen controller, and others I forgot the names of, the cpu will go even lower, down below 1ghz and either stay down there or flip flop between 2.5ghz approx and below 1ghz. I've checked the bios and there's nothing there related to the cpu other than the intelligent cooling setting and virtualisation setting which are pretty irrelevant for what I'm trying to do. The intelligent cooling options change the results slightly but not a whole lot, performance and intelligent cooling don't change results drastically.

One odd thing is that there's times balanced will actually make games run better, compared to trying my hardest with ryzen controller, quickcpu and whatever else. Just by feeling alone they sometimes feel much more stable and better performance. I don't know what the hell is going on there, it probably makes sense but I'm just too annoyed by the other stuff.

I've tried plenty games like team fortress 2, borderlands 1 and 2, warframe, aura kingdom (its an mmo), gzdoom/brutal doom/unity rerelease, puyo puyo tetris, left 4 dead 2, fan remastered gta san andreas and gta 3, roblox even, clone hero, guitar hero world tour and so on and so forth. There's times I'll open up some of these and be grand, good time and minimal stutter. Other times all of these games will just act up and be like unplayable like just below 20/30fps when it should be way more than that. All of these games I should be able to at least play at a stable 60fps if the clock speed was right around 2.5ghz consistently and above. But that's just not the case. I got this laptop at about 660 euro with a 2tb portable hdd always connected which brought it up to about 750 euro. If there wasn't such a shortage of parts, I'd fully consider just buying a completely new laptop or pc again not even 2 years into this one. Just so irritating.

I hope there is something I can do to cap the min clock speed at 2ghz or something, possibly actually see 3ghz clock speed.

Thanks for reading.

0 Likes
1 Reply
etsachin
Adept II

Im also facing similar issues on same processor. On heavy loads the cpu doesn't boost and it stays somewhat locked into a lower clockspeed and sometimes things can go worse when it locks into 400Mhz rendering the device useless. Please let me know if you find any solution

0 Likes