cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

FallenAce
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 3400G w/ Radeon RX Vega 11 + ANCIENT 6970 PCIE

Can I run my integrated GPU and also have an ancient 6970 PCIE running for additional monitors?  I can't handle having just one monitor.  Windows recognizes it but says it has no driver and if I try to tell it to find one it says it already has the best one.  When I run the AMD software it doesn't show up in the list.  Not sure if it's because it doesn't have a driver or if I just can't run them together, or if I need newer hardware.  This card is from like 2012.  It worked just fine on my Win7 build, but then drivers existed for Win7...

Can someone confirm the issue or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Much appreciated.

0 Likes
11 Replies

No, You have a supported GPU (Ryzen 3400G) and a Non-Supported GPU (HD6970)  in the same computer. The Drivers for each are incompatible with each of the installed GPUs.

The only way you might be able to run both is if you find a AMD driver that is compatible with both the Ryzen Integrated Graphics and the HD6970 GPU card.

The last AMD drivers for your HD6970 are from 2015 and 1016 but both are not compatible with the 3400G and vice versa.

0 Likes

Thanks.  I don't understand why they can't run independently of each other.  On my old machine I had the 6970, a 5450 and an nVidia PCI 1x card all running on the machine so I could support 6 monitors.  It didn't matter they all ran their own drivers.

How do I identify a compatible device?  I have to have more than one monitor and this seems like a backwards step to me.

0 Likes

The reason why both the HD5450 & HD6970 worked at the same time is because both uses the same exact last 2 AMD drivers  from 2015 & 2016 and the Nvidia worked is because it is a different manufacturer's driver. Lucky there wasn't any conflict between the Nvidia  and AMD drivers.

Can you post your motherboard Make & model please?

How many Video outputs do you have on your motherboard?  HDMI and DP and possibly VGA?

According to WikiChip website your processor can  support up to 3 displays: https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_5/3400g

Screenshot 2021-10-26 150056.png

So you can probably connect a HDMI Monitor and a DP Monitor (2 Displays) or you can purchase a HDMI Splitter to connect 2 HDMI monitors to your HDMI video output on your motherboard or connect a DP MST HUB to connect 2 Monitors at the same time if the motherboard supports MST technology or a DP Splitter.

0 Likes

Gigabyte AORUS B450 Pro Wifi

0 Likes

Here are your Motherboard's Video Output port specs: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x/sp#sp

Your Motherboard has one HDMI Port and one DVI-D Port. You can try and purchase a HDMI Splitter and see if you can connect 2 HDMI Monitors plus you can purchase one DVI-D>HDMI/DP Adapter to power a 3rd display.

But the DVI-D port maximum resolution is 1920x1200@60Hz.

0 Likes

My monitors are only 1600x900 anyway.  I tried to use an HDMI->DP adapter to connect a second monitor to the HDMI, but it didn't seem to recognize it.  I'm only using the DVI-D right now.

Do you know how I identify what PCIE or PCI 1x card I can use?

0 Likes

the best adapters that are compatible with monitors are "Active" adapter.  Active Adapter convert the video signal from the motherboard before reaching the monitor to the monitor's video input.

Did you go into Windows Settings - Display to choose the correct Resolution to the HDMI>DP Monitor?

Is the HDMI>DP Adapter an Active or Passive adapter?

In Device Manager the HDMI>DP connected Monitor is not recognized? That probably due to the adapter that you are using.

What is the Make & Model of your HDMI>DP Adapter?

The only way to get more monitors is by installing a GPU card. But once you install the GPU Card it becomes the main Display and the Integrated Graphics is disabled in BIOS. But in Windows you can enable the IGPU I believe.

I would try to see if the Adapter you have is the problem once you post the Make & Model of the Adapter you are using.

Why are both of your Monitors have such low Resolutions?  It is possible if your Monitors are very old the adapter might not be compatible with your monitor due to the low Resolutions.

NOTE: Here is one HDMI to DP Active Adapter from Amazon. AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-Adapter-Resolution/dp/B00JQORLCG

This Adapter only works one way. From HDMI PC to a DP Monitor. Not the reverse.

EDIT: Do you have a HDMI Television set you can connect? If you do and it works with a HDMI cable only then you know it is your adapter the problem.

0 Likes

I reread you last reply and I thought you had made an error when you mentioned PCIe x 1 slot.

You weren't talking about a GPU card but a PCIe x 1 TV Tuner possibly?

I have a 4 TV Recorder TV Tuner PCIe x 1 card installed but I still need my GPU card to get video output to see the shows it records or to see live TV.

0 Likes

No I just want to throw an additional graphics card in like I did in my old machine.  I don't want a TV tuner.

I know the adapter is the problem.  It's just a head changer, it's not an active adapter.

My old PC had 3 separate graphics cards and an onboard.  I don't ever remember having to play matchmaker with my old cards; I had two ATi and one nVidia and my computer didn't care.  I don't need them to interact; just run monitors.  Granted this is a machine I built in like 2010.

0 Likes

I should specify I wasn't using the onboard, and the adapter is just a StarTech bulk head changer.  If the 6970 and 5450 architecture matched, and that's the reason I could use them in my old machine, then it was pure random chance I had those two models.  I assume the nVidia was just completely separate for whatever reason.

I've been in IT for 23 years and have never run into this, but then again, the people I support aren't doing any level of complication in their machines.  They just need to get to a browser and then run Excel and Outlook.

0 Likes

If that is all your customers need then the Integrated Graphics is more than enough to run those types of programs and to browse the Internet.

You should have mentioned you were a IT Pro from the beginning. I would have changed my replies since probably everything I mentioned you were already aware of.

I thought you were trying to run Multi-Displays on one computer.

0 Likes