cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Listless_Spectre
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2600X boosting to 4.7Ghz????

I have the above mentioned cpu on a Asus ROG Strix B450F MB, with both the latest BIOS and monitoring software from both HW Monitor and CPUID. Both Precision Overdrive and max CPU Boost enabled in BIOS. I also have a dual 120 AIO CPU cooler from Deepcool in my system. 

My question is this... I know there's such a thing as hitting the "silicone lottery", but is 4.7Ghz actually a feasible return for this type of CPU that comes stock with a 3.6Ghz clock? It stays around 4.1Ghz pretty steadily when not gaming, but ramps up above 4.7+ when I do. Is this typical for this processor? 

0 Likes
3 Replies
andrew3408
Adept I

does the cpu overheat when gaming? cause stock is the 3.6 ghz and max boost supposed to be only 4.2ghz if it's not over heating then it will probably be alright.

I ended up downloading a newer version of HW Monitor, which pretty much clarified the problem. My 2600X pretty much tops out at 4.25Ghz on boost. I have a dual 120mm aio cooler that keeps it pretty chilly and have never overheated at all. New software got me sorted, so I'm good. 

0 Likes
dgranson
Adept I

This sounds like an issue in the software reporting incorrect ghz imo. You can hit the lottery yes but 2600x does not hit those kinds of numbers without extreme cooling solutions. The records for these cpus is 5.8ghz on liquid nitrogen to give you some insight.

0 Likes