cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Nesquik
Adept I

Rx6800xt keeps crashing

My graphics card keeps on crashing very frequently, i have waited till update, but even after it its still crashing, everything is going on since i installed graphics card (updated from rx580).

Setup:

Ryzen 3 3300x

Asus Rx6800xt

b450 tomahawk max

amd report: https://easyupload.io/k7pxpv

0 Likes
1 Solution
ThreeDee
Paragon

what power supply make/model? Takes a lot more oomph to run a 6800xt compared to your old RX580

Make sure your BIOS is up to date

Make sure you have the latest AM4 Chipset drivers installed from AMD's website

Make sure  you are using separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on your 6800xt

Run the program called DDU and remove all past GPU drivers that you had installed on this installation of Windows ..reboot .. THEN install latest GPU drivers from AMD's website

ThreeDee PC specs

View solution in original post

11 Replies
abue919
Adept I

Are you running multiple monitors? If so what are the resolutions and refresh rates of each?

I have a similar issue with my 6950 XT which my primary screen at 144hz will flicker if I alt tab certain games, some games will straight out randomly crash without alt tabbing specially if i'm running a second game or video in the background but this one is less prevalent to recreate.

My solution has been lowering the resolution on my 2ndary screen to around 1400x900, not ideal but for now it works. I also was plagued with screen flickering when alt tabbing to the point where the driver would crash if I moved my mouse on my desktop or dragged it trying to select things while a game was alt tabbed.

0 Likes

unluckily I only use one monitor, but thanks for your answer

0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

what power supply make/model? Takes a lot more oomph to run a 6800xt compared to your old RX580

Make sure your BIOS is up to date

Make sure you have the latest AM4 Chipset drivers installed from AMD's website

Make sure  you are using separate power cables from your PSU to each power input on your 6800xt

Run the program called DDU and remove all past GPU drivers that you had installed on this installation of Windows ..reboot .. THEN install latest GPU drivers from AMD's website

ThreeDee PC specs

DON'T UPDATE BIOS IF YOU ARE NOT HAVING ANY RELATED ISSUES, IS DANGEROUS. STOP GIVING THIS ADVICE

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D |MSI X570 Unify| PowerColor Red Devil RX6750 XT | 32GB RAM 3200 Mhz
0 Likes

I disagree .. 

Less likely of compatibility issues keeping your BIOS up to date especially when running new(er) hardware

ThreeDee PC specs

not dangerous unless you have sketchy power in your home .. and IF that is the case, you are already slowly killing your electronics

I've done hundreds of BIOS updates and have had only one fatality .. and that was an old Dell box with their Windows flashing program quite a few years ago. 

Caps and bold font is unnecessary , lol

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

Updating your BIOS is actually a Smart Idea for Compatibility and Security Reasons and it's only Dangerous if you decide to shut your PC off in the Middle of the Update buy thankfully now a lot of Boards are coming with BIOS Flashback Features

Ryzen 7 7700X | Gigabyte Aorus X670 Elite AX | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6800 XT | 32GB G.Skillz Trident Z NEO 6000Mhz DDR5 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 

0 Likes

I already updated bios and everything u talked about way before, for smart access, but the thing that helped was DDU-ing , even though i reinstalled my pc after putting in the graphics card. Tested it since u posted, and no problem appeared since then. 

Thank u for the help

Hi ThreeDee,

I was browsing the forum regarding crashing on an RX6800XT and came across your solution and some other related posts... This one in particular seems close. Hope it's ok to tack on a related question here in hopes if other folks find it they can also glean your expertise. My thanks, as my first post here I want to say I appreciate all the support you've given people in the community, which is why I reached out  

As for me, my system has been getting random reboots, occasional app crash or freezing up. (Windows graphics driver crash often seen in the Event Manager logs, but I don't always check).

This has occurred since I first bought the system 9 months ago, though not often, it happens regularly enough now I want to resolve it. This was a fresh install of a new rig with the following specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4 Ghz (4.9 Ghz boost) 16-core processor
GPU: ASUS Tuf RX6800XT O16G (AMD Radeon)
RAM: 64 Gb Corsair 16x4 DDR4 3200 Mhz
HD: 2x 2Tb SSDs Western Digital Black (WDS200T1X0E-00AFY0)
Motherboard: ASUS Tuf Gaming X570-Pro w/ Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200
Case: NZXT H510 Elite CA-H510E-W1 Matte White
PSU: EVGA Supernova 220-G5-0850-X1 850w 80Plus Gold
Displays: 2x Asus Strix XG27UQR ROG 27" @ 3840x2160, using displayport cables.
OS/GUI: Windows 11 Pro

I'm curious if maybe my 850w PSU is a contributing factor, if I should be using a beefier one. I don't have liquid cooling or other things drawing power, and temps are well within reasonable limits. Other folks mentioned dropping the resolution of one monitor to help avoid crashes. though that sounds odd to me since the card is engineered to handle way more. 

Following your solution, I removed all drivers and did a full RAM test as well checked that my BIOS and OS are all up to date.

Any ideas off the top of your head, and can you share your opinion regarding the PSU/wattage?

0 Likes
rawintellect
Miniboss

Which driver are you using? If you're running 22.7.1 or later there is an issue with hardware acceleration that's causing PCs to freeze and become unresponsive. The workaround for now is to disable hardware acceleration in Chrome, Discord, Steam, Origin, Epic and anything else that uses it.

0 Likes
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

If above didn't help, and you have Live Replay enabled - disable it. It can do really wonky stuff sometimes. Especially HEVC one

0 Likes