Adept I

RX6800XT and 27GL850 monitor: First boot of the day to windows fails every time

Hello,

Running:

CPU: Ryzen 5600x
Mobo:  Asus B550-E
GPU: AMD Radeon RX6800XT
PSU: Corsair 850W
Mem: Corsair vengeance LPX 32 GB (4x8 GB) DDR4-3200  (using D.O.C.P profile)
SSD:  M.2  Samsung 970 EVO 1TB
Monitor:  LG 27GL850 using DisplayPort

Problem:   Every first boot of the day, the white QLED on my asus motherboard remains on, indicating issues with the VGA card making POST according to Asus documentation.

The screen stays black for a while (haven't even seen the UEFI BIOS screen), until all of a sudden, the green LED on the motherboard briefly lights up (indicating boot to disk) and shortly thereafter, the windows login screen comes up and the system is ready for use.  The White VGA QLED still on though.

I can game for hours without any problems, the system is performing really well and is stable. I'm using the latest BIOS from Asus on the Mobo,  and the latest Adrenalin drivers from AMD for the RX6800XT. SAM is also OFF in the BIOS.

Looking at the Windows System eventlog, it's apparent that the first startup failed, and windows auto-rebooted/crashed and then made a successful boot. (even though the white qled stays on)

18/12/2020 08:29:41    Windows failed fast startup with error status 0xC00000D4.
18/12/2020 08:29:41    The last shutdown's success status was true. The last boot's success status was true.
18/12/2020 08:29:51    The previous system shutdown at 22:43:07 on ‎17/‎12/‎2020 was unexpected.
18/12/2020 08:29:41    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

The message about the previous system shutdown and the timestamp is unclear and probably an error, since windows was shutdown correctly. It just assumes that was the last time it was booted/shutdown.

Anyway, it seems like when I touch the monitor joystick first, to make it wake before I turn the PC on, then my boots are flawless. Because RX6800XT sees the monitor connected.  

It seems this is a timing issue. This is unfortunate for hardware of this price range. Has anyone observed similar problems, and is there a way to fix it?

Or are these problems unrelated?  (unclean shutdown vs white qled staying on at first boot)

Kind regards,

Renaat

0 Likes
9 Replies
renaatski
Adept I

So maybe a quick update on this one. First of all , this isn't fixed. Even on a fresh install of windows with the latest drivers etc..   

The problem seems to stem from the "Fast Startup" feature that is part of Windows , and is enabled by default on new installs..  When asking for a Shutdown, this feature causes Windows not to shut down , but rather go to some sort of hibernation mode instead.

Somehow that crashes windows while shutting down (you can't see it, but it does).. and the event logs will tell you 

I've turned fast startup off for now, and the problems have gone away. Startup takes a few seconds longer but I'd rather have that, than a windows that wasn't shut down properly every time (risking dataloss)

With regards to my other issue with white VGA QLED on my Asus motherboard that remains on at the first boot of the day...  This is unrelated and appears to be my LG 27GL850 that is a tad too slow after a prolonged break, or RX 6800 XT that is too quick.  Nothing I can do there unfortunately. I just press a button on my monitor first before I start the PC.    I'm not sure if this is the motherboard that's handling this, or the GPU card

0 Likes

With regards to the unclean windows shutdown, I've tried a RX 5700 XT card in my PC, and I didn't have that issue anymore, even with fast startup enabled.

So it's definitely related to the RX 6800 xt card somehow.

Suppport has told me to just "clear" my Mobo CMOS..  which isn't really helpful imo. Although I was sceptical, I've tried it, but just like I thought, it didn't change a thing.

0 Likes

Are you using DisplayPort by chance?

0 Likes

disable DOCP or XMP - and try again ;)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Thanks for your reply

I’ve ran several benchmarks up until now, I’ve never had a crash. 

What makes you think memory is the problem? The memory I have is a 4 piece 32GB  kit, so the modules are matched and rated for DDR4-3200

but I’ll try your suggestion tomorrow nonetheless 

regards, Ren

0 Likes

Indeed. DisplayPort is used. 

0 Likes

Re: DisplayPort... I suspect there's a firmware issue affecting DP at least with the 6900XT. I couldn't get any video to display when I installed using DP and had to use HDMI. After installing drivers the DP would work but you will never see the boot screen or BIOS screen. Tried two widescreen displays - one new 2020 model and the other 3-years old. Both did exactly the same thing.

Ended up simply using HDMI and it works fine. But to me DP should also work fine - it has for years with Nvidia cards. So try HDMI if you're having any problems using DP.

0 Likes

Note (your) system memory should have no impact when changing video cards. Meaning that one card should not somehow be sensitive to memory versus another. There may be a BIOS setting you need to change - the 6900XT does like the above 4GB decoding enabled so if you have that in BIOS enable it.

0 Likes

Well I disabled the automatic standby feature of the LG monitor. Which by default pops up every 4 hours asking to acknowledge or else it will power off. 

it seems like when it does that it’s some sort of deep sleep. Since I’ve disabled it, I’ve not had any issues thus far upon first boot of the day (prolonged sleep)

I read other articles about LG monitors having issues with waking after sleep or prolonged sleep... I’ll keep you updated if this keeps on working 

Cheers