cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

slipky
Adept I

RX6800 sound problems over HDMI and no dolby atmos

Hello, just upgraded from a 1080 to a RX6800 with a fresh windows 10 install.

Now when i connect to my LG OLED CX TV using hdmi, the audio keeps failing, sometimes there is no audio at all. Similiar to this: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx5700-and-hdmi-sound-problem/td-p/308252

Also, is not posssible to enable dolby atmos for home theater. Error: "Something whent wrong while trying to turn on spatial sound"

I had no issue previously with the 1080, and the hdmi cable is the same.

AMD Software version: 20.12.1

AMD HD Audio Driver: 10.0.1.16

MB: ASRock x470 Master/SLI ac

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x

6 Replies
rerry182
Journeyman III

U getting at least PCM 5.1 sound?

0 Likes

yes, windows sonic works

i was able to fix the sound problem by removing the amd hd audio driver and use the default on windows 10, but still no atmos.

about the cable, im using the same one i was using before with my old 1080, that should not be a problem. I know its not a hdmi 2.1 cable, so i cant get 4k/120hz/10bit, but im using 4k/60hz/8bit, everything is ok with the image, only the sound is bugged.

since removing the amd audio driver solved one of the problems, now i know it is definitely a driver issue. I will wait for new updates and hope for a fix.

thanks for the replys.

0 Likes

My RX 580 worked perfectly fine with my Denon AVR.  When i upgraded to the RX 5700 hdmi audio became unstable and mostly would not work at all.  I had to replace it with an RTX 2070 instead.  I thought i'd give AMD another chance with an RX 6800 thinking this must certainly be resolved by now.  Same issue.  I will have to replace my RX 6800 with an RTX 3070 just like last time.  Uninstalling the amd hd audio driver either leaves with me only stereo, or no audio at all.  This is unacceptable that AMD is ignoring this problem that affects EVERY single navi card.  

0 Likes

Hello,

Just to chip in. I'm facing the same issue and I solved this also by uninstalling Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA - 10.0.1.16 HDMI Audio driver from Windows. After that the default Windows driver was installed and the HDMI audio started to work. 

AMD please take a look at your driver and figure out what is wrong. This is unacceptable that in the year 2021 audio over HDMI does not work. 

And one annoying problem in Windows is that every reboot the broken AMD HDMI driver is reinstalled. I have to constantly uninstall it to keep my audio working.

0 Likes

Hello,

Just to chip in. I'm facing the same issue and I solved this also by uninstalling Advanced Micro Devices - MEDIA - 10.0.1.16 HDMI Audio driver from Windows. After that the default Windows driver was installed and the HDMI audio started to work. 

AMD please take a look at your driver and figure out what is wrong. This is unacceptable that in the year 2021 audio over HDMI does not work. 

And one annoying problem in Windows is that every reboot the broken AMD HDMI driver is reinstalled. I have to constantly uninstall it to keep my audio working.

0 Likes
benman2785
Big Boss

hey, you need atleast a HDMI 2.0 cable for that ;)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes