Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

bl4d3runn3r
Adept I

RX6000 RDNA2 issues with unstable FPS in many games

Hello,

I bought a Powercolor 6900XT (reference design) a couple of weeks ago and was super happy that I was able to get one. I already bought a Asus RTX 3080 TUF before, but I wanted to have a full AMD built this time, so I put the 3080 in my second PC. I had no issues with the 3080 in my primary PC. All games ran just fine.

Before I describe my issue with the 6900XT, here are the specs of my PC

Gigabyte Aorus X570 Ultra BIOS ver. F32
Ryzen 7 5800X
Powercolor RX6900XT reference design Drv. 21.2.1
32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 RAM Dual Rank
Sabrent Rocket 1TB PCIe 4.0
EVGA 1300W G2 PSU
Dell S2721DGF Monitor 2560x1440 165Hz Freesync/GSync

So my issue since I have installed the 6900XT are that my FPS are not very consistent in many games. I can run 3d mark time spy and firestrike extreme just fine and the scores are awesome, but in games the GPU doesn't perform like that.

Here is a list of games I tried:

COD Warzone (GPU load is topping out at 70 to 75%, GPU clocks below 2000MHz and jumps around, FPS drops from 140 to 90 even just standing still. Frametimes have regular spikes from 7ms to 35ms.

COD Black Ops Cold War (Very similar behaviour than Warzone, even on much smaller scale Gun Fight maps.)

DayZ (GPU load is very low, GPU clocks are fluctuating from 1600MHz to 2100MHz, FPS are ranging from 60 to 140FPS, just when looking around.)

Rise of the Tomb Raider (GPU load is a 99%, GPU clocks are stable around 2300MHz, FPS are mostly stable, but every 15 seconds I get a frame time spike to 35ms)

Rocket League (GPU load extremely low, FPS relatively high, frame time spikes to 35ms every now and then.)

GTAV (GPU load 99%, frames stable with the occasional spikes like in other games.)

Got frustrated and didn't play anymore games right now.

How is your experience with the 6000 series GPUs so far?

70 Replies

win 11

6900xt TUF 

Asus prime x570 pro 

5800x @4.7mhz 1.4v

3600mhz cl18 22 22 42

1tb  sn850 m.2

500 Gb Samsung 850 pro

1000watt PSU rm1000x

I was also getting stutters in most games i played except a few to the point i wanted to smash the card, any fps game was unplayable.

Cod:Wz Micro-stutter  mostly while turning left to right is when u see it most gpu usage all over the place would even drop to 0 

mostly 70- 45 GPU usage 

Pubg same thing 

Kena bridge of spirits  runs perfect GPU usage would stay 90s

Fortnite probably the worst game to play out of the rest very poor fps

Cs:Go was also terrible with stutter and unplayable

league of legends runs perfect but GPU usage is 20s  

death stranding but I didn't get to play this game with the normal settings at the settings i have now it runs flawless maxed 

I'm playing at 1440p high settings most games 

I swapped my ram twice from 3600Mhz cl 15 15 15 35 to some 3200 cl16 18 18 18 ? to the 3600 cl 18 ram nothing made a difference 

swapped out PSU from an 850 to the 1000 watt thinking it was something with power no diff 

recently overclocked the CPU to 4.7 all core at 1.4 volt and almost all stutter are gone. I downloaded Ryzen master to over clock it

would not load in win11 I had to change a line in regedit and install chipset drivers for it to work ever since most games are 

smooth 

another thing I tried was going back to older bios which helped a little but best thing ive done so far was overclock the cpu its

night and day . its like the CPU is bottlenecking the GPU which doesn't make sense because the CPU usage is never over 60

I guess everyone with the 5800x try overclock  and see what happens only if your temps stay low my temps don't go over 70

with air cooler it is the Noctua NH-D15S I'm pretty sure 

0 Likes

For me, the problem is aggressive downclocking. I have smooth experience now after I used  more power tool to lock my gpu frequency. I also want to lock my gpu memory clocks, but don’t know how to do that. Sometimes the memory frequency jumps down and I have stutters. Lock gpu frequency helped me a lot, but it is not perfect.

For me, it is not cpu bottleneck. I have rx6600xt with 5600x. 

0 Likes

cool I will try that just to see what happens, but after setting my cpu back to stock settings. right now I get basic load stutter when the game first loads the map say in Fortnite and cod once loaded its smooth as butter wonder if it has something to do with m.2 and pcie gen 4 m.2 . maybe ill remove my m.2's and install on my sata ssd just to see if any change 

what you explain was pretty much my main problem gpu mhz would drop to like 1700 and sit around there while gpu usage would be fluctuating I never looked at the ram speed i havent looked at speeds ever since clocking the cpu at 4.7 but everything have been buttery smooth since 

0 Likes

Hi all

I found the FINAL solution. Now I have smooth fps in PUBG and other games.

Follow my steps above and also disable yellow marked options in MorePowerTool.

Dodkes_0-1645360302927.png

Also this video helped me a lot. I set the task to perform each 1 minute. Fix Micro Stutter And Lag In PUBG And Other Windows Apps - YouTube

I wish happy smooth gaming with Radeon

0 Likes

what you linked is empty standby list. what you wrote is morepowertools. thos are two different things.

this looks like a good source https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/disable-deep-sleep-states-using-mpt-can-potentially-remove-stutter...

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

Yes I wrote two different things which helped me. I investigated it 2 moths and these two things with some bios setup are working still really well.

You posted the same thing on guru 3d

0 Likes

That worked like a champ, thank you so much.

Mynordstrom

0 Likes

Please give screenshots and list your motherboard manufacturer.

Adam J Martin
0 Likes

We believe you its just there are lots of us that do not experience any of these things it is hard to believe but we don't think your making it up or nothing like your NVidia fanboy trolling the AMD forums which we do get lots of so we do have to question everything including problems that are not suppose to even remotely happen!!!

Adam J Martin
0 Likes
Semon-Jax
Adept II

I use 5600X and 6800xt. I have the same problem as you. The number of frames fluctuates greatly, and the frame time is unstable, sometimes up to 35ms. I don't know what AMD is doing. Are they driving developers to work hard? I have been in this situation for half a year. The latest system and chipset drive this kind of card, which makes this card incompetent for any FPS game, like BF1 FarCary5 and Many games, but I was surprised to find that there was no stuttering in Titan Fall 2, which fully proved that AMD's driver was really poor in optimizing some game engines.7

0 Likes
addiepie79
Adept III

I own a red devil 6950 xt and a reference 6900xt and for the life of me I cant repeat any of the issues I hear in here is there any way you can list the programs you guys have on your Pc cause i'm so confused after years of playing on these Radeon cards ive never had any of these issues and im curious if it boils down to a program or something because like I said ive never experienced Fps drop in any of my 80 plus games and my friends dont either please list all your programs that you guys run please

Adam J Martin

i have the same problem i bought it 2 weeks ago and  when the fps drop happens i see the core clock dropping below 100 mhz 

0 Likes

once again in order for us to take your issues seriously and make sure you're not a bot please list your system specs and screen shots of your system information thanks.

Adam J Martin
0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

seeing lot of people searching in all direction in this thread, but as some saying, can be about third party programs , i had problem with ASUS AI from motherboard for example that was messing with some windows settings, and not a required app at all, took me some time to identify the problem .. and was not a problem  related to gpu or gpu driver ...

once you know that , simple thing to do : (if you have a lot of applications and reinstall takes lot of time , maybe try to do this on an external usb ssd drive) =>

one thing you can check is to do a fresh reinstall of windows and not installing anything else than your gpu driver ,  chipset driver and 1 problematic game that other say is ok,  but not installing anything else and see if this drops go away ... if it the case , than the problem is certainly coming from an third party software interfering

You sir are 100% correct this happens all the time but getting people to reset Windows is a very hard thing to do, people hate losing their stuff but 99.9% of the time this fix works almost every single time but however does prove that programs will mess with drivers and or games and getting people to admit this instead of riding the blame AMD band wagon seems to be still popular even though the public does not even realize GCN architecture has been gone for a long time now, but hey sometimes I get a laugh at people blaming a very old fixed years ago problems on a new architecture that pc mag and so many reputable PC reviewers have stated RDNA 2 to have less issues than current gen Nvidia drivers and cards and that Most all errors that happen these days are caused by human error.

Adam J Martin
0 Likes
addiepie79
Adept III

On your GPU are you using daisy power cord to power supply or single power cord to each like you're supposed to cause your describing a daisy chain issue???

Adam J Martin
0 Likes
adamjason
Journeyman III

I'm not sure if it's game specific? I'm tarkov my frames dip here and there from 120-80 then back. But that game is poorly optimized.

Adam Jason
0 Likes
adamjason
Journeyman III

The same issue i also have been facing I fed up finally

Adam Jason
0 Likes

Can you please show screen shots of your system info and system build specs please because in order for us to make sure you're not a bot we need this information thanks!!!

Adam J Martin
0 Likes
Fatal1
Journeyman III

I’m having the same issues with an all amd build.  Last time ever for me, I’m switching company. I’ve had the rx 6600 xt for a year now and it’s been problems and stutters. Most aaa games runs poorly with a lot of spikes and stutters. Let’s be real the gaming experience is poor and never fluid. They’re design to run good on a couple benchmarks but when it comes to gaming, atrocious. So amd is in my opinion a scam when it comes to gaming. 

0 Likes

Could you tell us your system specs including power supply! and screen shots of your system info? because that gpu is known as one of the most stable I'm betting it's something easy that you overlooked

Adam J Martin
0 Likes

Ryzen 7 5800x

psu is a seasonic 650w 80 plus gold

mobo is asus tuf gaming 570x wifi plus

16gb of ram corsair vengeance 3200mt

yes xmp profile is active as well as smart access memory

gpu powercolor red devil rx 6600 xt

it is not daisy chained

I’m running on a fresh copy of windows 10, reseted everything 4 days ago.

cpu is watercooled with a closed nzxt cooler

temps are good everywhere never going above 65 celsius under load.

all my parts we’re bought new, build is not even 1 year old.

My main drive is an m.2 samsung 970 500gb and I install everything on a 2tb m.2 as second drive.

I tried a lot of fixes I saw on that forum

no oc, running stock curves on everything except for gpu fan curve.

ps : I hate stutters

0 Likes

Also running the last drivers that was posted a couple days ago, chipset and socket drivers are up to date. I will provide pictures when I get back from work if needed.  

0 Likes

Ok so the new driver helped a lot, amd actually adressed a lot of existing issues. The card is still not perfect and i can’t get a real stutter free experience in tina’s wonderland but the card runs better than it used to. 

0 Likes

Going through the AMD data base and I found out that your configuration is known as one of the most stable gaming configurations on the market and my research shows Nvidia cards cannot even pull the screen times you should be getting so i highly suggest you replace your GPU Immediately as it is defective because your setup is one of the most praised gaming setups out there at the moment.

Adam J Martin
0 Likes

Hello everyone, I’ve been running my setup for almost a month now and I’m finally happier with my system after the whole system reset. I did not even reinstall msi afterburner to disable ulps and high precision event timer is still active and I finally have a stable experience in almost every game in my library minus a few exceptions. I think it is safe to blame it on the games at that point. Don’t get me wrong I’m still a bit salty I had to format my drives and lose all the data I had in my computer but in the end happy everything is working well. I’m even running on a stable OC tune for my rx 6600 xt.  So to anyone who’s system have the same issues mine had and desperately looking for a fix, maybe consider a full windows reset, it worked for me. I don’t want to misguide anyone and i’m just an enthusiast, not a professional, but maybe you should consider it if it ends up working for you too. Best of luck.

C137CA0A-0CC2-4B6D-BA33-1E6C5A81CB8D.png

0 Likes

PS : in some games, I find it helps to disable the surface format optimisation in the advanced options and to use the application settings. Best of luck.

0 Likes
hanke
Adept I

Hello guys, I tried everything like from morepowertool, disable ulps, changing adrenalin settings and reinstall/deinstall adrenalin/chipset driver and so many other things and nothing helped, but finally I found the problem! It was in the bios settings of my msi b550 gaming plus motherboard, press F7 or click on advanced in the top and go into overclocking\advanced cpu configuration\amd cbs and disable global c-state control, this crap caused so many problems for me like dips in fps stutters lags and so on, also you can go into device manager\system devices\high precision event timer\ right click\disable device. And you can run your minimum frequenz (Mhz) clock  100 lower than your max frequenz (Mhz) clock in the adrenalin settings. I tested elden ring 60 fps drops to 34 fps and so on, gpu load dropped to 0%. With that disabled elden ring runs perfect at 60 fps and my gpu load dont fall into 0% anymore, sure elden ring drops sometimes to 59 fps or could drop a little bit below in some scenes but thats normal! My cpu load is now by 30-60%, before it was by 4%. I hope i could help you with that.

0 Likes
hanke
Adept I

Hello guys, I tried everything like from morepowertool, disable ulps, changing adrenalin settings and reinstall/deinstall adrenalin/chipset driver and so many other things and nothing helped, but finally I found the problem! It was in the bios settings of my msi b550 gaming plus motherboard, press F7 or click on advanced in the top and go into overclocking\advanced cpu configuration\amd cbs and disable global c-state control, this crap caused so many problems for me like dips in fps stutters lags and so on, also you can go into device manager\system devices\high precision event timer\ right click\disable device. And you can run your minimum frequenz (Mhz) clock  100 lower than your max frequenz (Mhz) clock in the adrenalin settings. I tested elden ring 60 fps drops to 34 fps and so on, gpu load dropped to 0%. With that disabled elden ring runs perfect at 60 fps and my gpu load dont fall into 0% anymore, sure elden ring drops sometimes to 59 fps or could drop a little bit below in some scenes but thats normal! My cpu load is now by 30-60%, before it was by 4%. I hope i could help you with that.

0 Likes
Fatal1
Journeyman III

Hello guys, it's been almost a year after my last post here so I just wanted to give a little update.  Everything is even better than it was with the new drivers and most games run really smooth for me now.  I upgraded to windows 11 a couple weeks ago and my experience is now even better.  For those of you who have unregular gpu utilisation in some games, I recommend using the factory numbers for your tune.  You can get those numbers from your gpu spec page on techpowerup.com.  Don't forget when you boot up a game for the first time, there will be studders because the shaders are compiling.  They will compile like that every time you update your drivers as well.  I'm even running Suicide squad on medium settings with an average of 70 to 80+ fps with no studders.  I could get more but I'm cpu limited at that point. Specs for reference, best of luck to everyone.

Ryzen 7 5800x

Powercolor 6600 xt

570x tuf gaming wifi plus

32g of 3200mt ram

650w psu 80+gold from seasonic. GPU tune game clock.pngtech power up 6600 xt.png

0 Likes
Dodkes
Adept I

I tried to use linux for gaming. In ChimeraOs I don’t have any stutters. I think it is windows problem.

0 Likes