Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

deremoth
Journeyman III

RX590/RX570 crossfire

Hello,
not so long ago I changed my RX570 (MSI) for a new (Shappire) RX590 Nitro+ SE, both 8GB.
Are those two cards gona work in a crossfire?
I5-8500
16GB RAM 2400MHz
Z370 A-Pro
Crossair VS650 (if it will work I am going to change power supply for a better one).

0 Likes
6 Replies

No.

As black_zion already said, no is the answer. Crossfire has always required the cards be of the same type as each other. They can be of different clock speeds and memory amounts and both will then operate to the lower common denominator.

Very few games support crossfire and even the ones on the supported list may or may not be working well in current drivers. Crossfire is deprecated after DX 11. It will not exist moving forward. It is replaced by Multi GPU in DX 12 but in general DX 12 support isn't that dominant yet and Multi-GPU support is almost non-existent. Less than 3% of gamer's utilize crossfire so unless you have a specific game you know it works well with and you focus on that game or few games it works with it is rarely worth messing with. It is always best if possible to have a single card solution that meets your needs if possible.  Just adding a second card can add a lot of issues to games you would not normally have issues with. Most games that are or were crossfire compatible operate at very acceptable frame rates on current mid and low level cards.  This is the crossfire compatibility list of games that do or ever did support it:

Crossfire Game Compatibility List | AMD Crossfire Wikia | FANDOM powered by Wikia 

Sadly AMD and Nvidia and devlopers have abandoned SLI/Crossfire and it seems DX12 MultiGPU as well.

AMD were promoting DX11 Crossfire / DX12  MultiGPU at RX480 launch 3 years ago but that was likely because they had no answer to GTX1080 then.

DX11 Crossfire and DX12 MultiGPU runs great on BF1 on a pair of R9 Fury X, so I would not take that list as completely correct / up to date.  It shows more benefit at higher resolutions like 2K/4K.

It seems to me the support pretty much dried up with the beginning of the Wattman drivers. I honestly do get why the developers don't care to support it. In the overall scheme of things, pc gamers are a small segment then, those pc gamers with 2 cards are next to nothing. It likely just isn't worth their time to support. I know from my personaly experience and the last I did Crossfire with was with 4870's it was pretty much a nightmare. It worked fine in a couple games but caused so many issues with other games and many games that supposedly supported it, gained very little from the second card and would have weird stuttering and artifacts I did not get with one card. I would have to see real evidence of that no longer being the case before I would buy in again. I would bet that many like me tried it and just didn't like the results and hence why it has fallen by the wayside. I had 2 voodoo cards in my early days of 3d gaming.

I started by crossfiring HD7970/R9280x, then R9 FuryX/Fury/Nanos It mostly works well on the supported games I run.
Some games were a bad experience with Crossfire such as Mass Effect Andromeda - that game has/d  problems running on a single card anyhow.
Anyhow this sums it up: Don’t buy two video cards! - YouTube 
It is dead.

deremoth
Journeyman III

Now everything is clear for me.

Thank you for your time and answers