cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Northman
Journeyman III

RX590 faulty since new

I bought a long time ago a brand new RX590.

I could not get it to work in my linux computer and seller claimed that the problem was my computer.

I tried many times to get it to work in my system with bad results. Complete system halt when card was installed.

So i gave up it borrowed card to my friend.

He had a windows computer and the system was able to boot with this card.

Allthough he told me that only way to use the card was to underclock it heavily. Better than nothing..

Now the card has completely stopped working, after not so many online hours in it.

I removed heat sink i found couple microchips that has a strange stain on them.

Chips markings on the circuitboard are U4503 and U4521.

So my question is this, what are those chips? I cannot read the markings on the chip.

It would be helpful to know the IC brand and type/model number.

Maybe i could finally get this card working like it was designed to.

Allthough i am a fan of AMD since first Athlons, i am disappointed about the quality of my RX590 and the way is was treated by the seller.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Northman
Journeyman III

Forgot the pics.IMG_20220521_160212.jpgIMG_20220521_155951.jpg

0 Likes

By brand new you mean brand new to you but the GPU was purchased by someone else.

If the GPU card is used when you purchased it, Used in the respect you didn't purchase the GPU card from a Retailer/vendor but rather from another User then most likely the GPU, as mentioned in a previous reply, may have been defective already.

That stain looks like the GPU overheated or something got spilled on the GPU card.

Either way if you are not the original owner of the GPU card the Warranty is probably voided by the Manufacturer since most Warranty doesn't transfer to a second Owner.

The only way to get electronic parts for your GPU card is by purchasing or getting a broken RX500 series GPU card with the same damaged electronic components and cannibalize those components.

Plus you need to see if any tiny metallic traces have been damaged. If you see traces damaged under the PCB board then you have a expensive paperweight. It isn't fixable.

0 Likes

It was purchased new in an unopened package from a Retailer/vendor.

Newer owerheated, dropped, scratched or spilled. It was problematic from the start but the retailer/vendor didn't want to take responsibility. So they managed to wear me down until the warranty time was woid.

Anyway, it seems that here is no real knowlege about electronics. I  just need the type of those components.

Someone makes those chips and there is always someone willing to sell them. Those are easy to replace if you have knowlege and skills.

AMD does not make all the components on a graphics card circuit board.

0 Likes

Who was the Retailer/Vendor that stalled until the Warranty period expired?

Was it in the USA or Europe or Asia?

I would think if you have proof that you were communicating with the Retailer/Vendor and opened a Warranty Ticket way before the Warranty period expired you can have a case against them to still honor the Warranty even though it expired since you started the Warranty process before it expired.

Possibly the Retail/Vendor felt it was Customer Error which would void any Warranty. Just guessing since you didn't mention how the Retailer/Vendor stalled you for so long until the Warranty period expired.

In the USA there are Consumer laws for that type of situations and in Europe you have an automatic 2 year Warranty from the Retailer/Vendor under European Consumer laws. Asia I guess it depends on the country you purchased from.

Those parts you probably won't find in a electronic warehouse or store. They might be customized under AMD Specs for their GPU cards or they were made by AMD themselves.

Best way is just to cannibalize the part from another defective rx 500 series GPU card that uses those same electronic parts.

This is a User to User forum so unless a technician that repairs GPUs answers you will need to wait. There was one User that is a Technician from Europe that repaired his own GPU cards. But he hasn't be active in quite awhile.

0 Likes
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

If you purchased the card from the second hand market it was most likely already defective then

0 Likes