cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

neilreduk
Newcomer

RX590 Display Driver Freezing

Building a gaming PC with my son, and we're soooo close.

After the first few minutes the screen freezes for a few seconds, then goes blank before carrying on as normal (for a short while). Event viewer typically reports:

Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\dwm.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0356013.inf_amd64_61ba7b1fb4cf4aec\B355483\atidxx64.dll

It’s not clear that there’s any pattern. It doesn’t like opening Edge with the standard msn front page, but runs youtube vids fine (only crashing after I’ve closed yt down).

I’m running an AMD RX590 GPU, though it seemed to behave in a similar way when using a stop-gap Nvidia Quadro K600 so I suspect it’s not the GPU at fault, though I’ve run through various possible fixes on that front too.

The only way to stop it is to uninstall the AMD drivers and reply on the standard Windows universal driver. Not ideal as graphics intensive games run at barely a few fps.

I’ve tried, without success:

• Latest drivers
  • Windows update
  • Dell SupportAssist diagnostics (POST hardware scan also reports no issues).
  • Power Management set to high performance
  • Set the GPU fans to run constantly (though it seemed to be running at a reasonable temp anyway)
  • TdrLevel set to zero, this just made it hang permanently
  • disable "Link State Power Management" in Windows
  • Underclocking GPU using Wattman (15% lower power limit)
  • Modular PCIE cable from PSU
  • Cleaned out the GPU cooling fins and check the fans
  • TdrDelay set to 8
  • Sfc /scannow

The CPU & GPU temperatures stay within normal range (as low as 31 and 42 C respectively when freezing).

I have noticed that the RAM SOC is set at around 0.87v - from what I've read elsewhere this may be rather low.

Current set-up:

Dell Inspiron 5675 - purchased used as a case, PSU and mobo only. Fresh installation of Win10

BIOS 1.3.7 (latest)

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600X

Graphics: Powercolor AXRX590 8GBD5-DHD

PSU: Seasonic GM-750 (yes, upgraded from the stock 460w unit to a rating far in excess of that recommended for that graphics card).

8Gb Corsair RAM (intending to add more of course)

Various monitors (using DVI or VGA)

TIA.

0 Likes
7 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

When the display driver encounters a hardware error, you will get this error message. Something you've tried before is that Underclocking GPU using Wattman (15% lower power limit)

Could you try 200 Mhz underclocking and (-)20% underpower?

0 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion.

I tried that, but after a minute or so Windows reported that the default settings had been reapplied due to a system failure - Event Viewer confirmed the usual 'driver stopped working etc' error. (In fact the underclocking had been undone but the power reduction was still in place.)

So, no joy there. I still suspect it's not hte card or driver but something closer to he mobo/cpu, but happy to hear any other thoughts.

0 Likes

Does the VGA-DVI converter adapter cause this problem? The problem you are experiencing is most likely caused by the GPU. Have you tried the GPU on a different system? Or have you tried your system with a different GPU? It is necessary to try things like this to find the cause of hardware failures. Have you tried a different driver (an older)? 

0 Likes

Yes, I did use an old Nvidia Quadro as a stop-gap before we got the RX590 and the same problems occurred, and I've also tried older versions (the oldest we could find for the RX590 was, IIRC, November '18) of the drivers.

0 Likes

There may be problem with the motherboard. If the motherboard has two GPU ports, could you try second port? 

0 Likes
neilreduk
Newcomer

It does have a second PCI-E slot, but the card won't physically fit that one. Where it is now is as recommended in the Dell technical manual for the mobo. I might try the old Nvidia card again in the second slot (can't remember if we did that before), otherwise you're probably right. Thanks for your help.

0 Likes

You're welcome. Empty the first port, connect the your old nVidia to second port. If the result is good, the port or parts that provide energy to this may be damaged. Cleaning the port maybe fixes the problem. You can use it to clean an old dry clean toothbrush.

0 Likes