cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

stilo2
Adept II

RX580 Zero RPM mode not working after 18.12.2 driver install

Since installing 18.2.2 driver (Adrenalin 2019 Edition) for my Gigabyte AORUS RX580 8GB, Zero fan mode is not working any more. I tried resetting fan control but it just won't work. Even when all GPU settings are set to factory default, Zero RPM is not working and my fans are always on. Before that driver update, it was working fine, fan would stop when hitting certain temperature.

PS. I do not use any other software for GPU control beside original AMD Radeon Software.

Is this a known bug that will be fixed soon with new driver release? Or I can do something in GPU settings?

EDIT: Corrected topic title

0 Likes
22 Replies
sintel
Adept I

Re: RX580 Zero RPM mode not working after 18.2.2 driver install

Some extra information:

* The driver in question is obviously 18.12.2 - *not* 18.2.2

* This behavior happens the moment you do *anything* in Wattman - the zero RPM switch has basically no effect on a RX580 (asus here)

* There is also a lower limit enforced on the fan RPM curve which is way too high - 35% on my card. The option should be there to override any "bios defaults" or "safe limits" - always assume card manufacturers are incapable of assigning sane defaults.

(why introduce a zero rpm switch anyway, when you can have that behavior with a fan curve that goes to 0?)

I rolled back to 18.9.3 because the noise was driving me insane (which is also less than ideal because the default fan curve sucks - but at least "zero rpm" works up to 55°C)

warric
Adept I

Re: RX580 Zero RPM mode not working after 18.2.2 driver install

I have same issue with Asus Strix RX 580 OC. Dosent matter what settings i change, zero rpm stops working and minimum i can set at fan curve is 40%. Anyway what i did is that i used DDU uninstaller and removed drivers, than reinstall them and zero rpm works again. But u cant touch any settings at wattman or it will stop working again.

stilo2
Adept II

Re: RX580 Zero RPM mode not working after 18.12.2 driver install

So I assume we all wait for next driver release. Knowing AMD it will be probably within next 30 days

caraflatar
Journeyman III

Hello to everyone!

I have the same problem with my RX 580 asus strix OC 8G. Dont try to change Wattman settings until the new driver. For the moment i have a solution for my asus strix and i believe works and with Gigabyte's software the same. The asus tweakII software is a good program but only to curve fans,  never try too overclock from there is unstable. I agree to reinstall AMD adrenalin with ddu uninstaller for the moment, a fresh installation always is better.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

MSI Afterburner can do a custom fan profile that can deal with issues

I use a profile of 10% at low load and 100% above 65C

0 Likes
roderick_404
Journeyman III

They sent Adrenalin 18.12.3 today 12/19/18  and .....

It does not work zero rpm! in wattman

0 Likes
pvcdroid
Adept II

Oddly Zero RPM worked fine when I installed 18.12.2 but when I updated to 18.12.3 it broke with minimum 35% setting. So I went back to 18.12.2 and it is still broken. Maybe I didn't notice it before but having same problems with my Vega 64

0 Likes
sintel
Adept I

The issue is recognized in the "known issues" section of this new release though, so still not giving up hope

0 Likes
loris199
Journeyman III

Same problem with RX580 sapphire nitro +.

Now i'm back to 18.11 in order to achieve zero rpm (with 18.12 the min was 19%)

0 Likes