cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

lambenttyto
Adept I

Re: RX580 shuts the pc down when gaming under heavy load - did OCCT test, GPU and CPU finished, but PSU test results in an insta shutdown?

Thanks for the post. Elstacy was already directing me to your previous posts on the subject, too. So what about fan speeds? Leave them at default?  Would it be bad to ramp them up?

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Re: RX580 shuts the pc down when gaming under heavy load - did OCCT test, GPU and CPU finished, but PSU test results in an insta shutdown?

Yes it would be bad. Leave them alone. Default setting is automatic...

0 Likes
lambenttyto
Adept I

So I did some more testing today. Kept the target temperature at the lowest bar and I've been playing my most graphically intensive game for about two hours straight today. I can't run this game at ultra or even on high settings at 60 frames, so it's pretty taxing to my GPU and it's running good. I also did another PSU test with OCCT that lasted for about 40 minutes before I turned it off.

I can't remember who it was, but somebody said to uninstall all other monitoring programs because they interfere with AMD Wattman somewhere else on this forum, so I did that and that's when I realized I might have an overheating problem. Setting wattman back to default, the target temperature is 73C with a max of 90C. Ludicrous! I think that's why OCCT originally shut my system down when I tried it before. I was probably idling near 70C on a hot day and when I turned that thing on it shot my temperature up to whatever zero tolerance zone that was shutting my system down.

So it looks like everything is working fine now. I appreciate the help, kingfish and elstacy. Now I just need to rearrange the fans in my case so they aren't pushing a bunch of hot air from the top down toward my GPU, lol.

lambenttyto
Adept I

Well, turns out I'm still having the problem, but it's much less frequent. I think this is coming down to two factors, for one, the GPU isn't spitting out so much hot air, and secondly, I moved it down to the second PCIeX16 slot. I moved it back yesterday and the problem got a lot worse, which tells me it's my NVME SSD drive. I did some research, and there's a lot of people complaining about their 960 EVOs shutting down their systems. I don't find it surprising that my second slot happens to be a lot farther away from my SSD chip. The first slot puts the GPU almost right on top of it. I'm going to move my Windows installation to another drive to see if that clears this up.

0 Likes
kingfish
MVP

Sounds like a good plan..

0 Likes

Sounds odd to me. I've a 960 Pro mounted to my Crosshair VI which serves as my Windows drive, and after transferring 100GB straight it never heats up over 54*C or causes problems, but all Samsung NVMe drives contain what they call Dynamic Thermal Guard, which will throttle performance should it exceed its threshold, which is higher than 75*C.

0 Likes
lambenttyto
Adept I

Yeah, I know. I've been looking at the temperatures of mine as well, and it doesn't seem to be heating up all that much. Actually around the same temp as you've got there. Some other people have reported their systems shutting down or restarting because of this little guy though.

0 Likes

Have you tried WhoCrashed to analyze crash logs?

0 Likes
lambenttyto
Adept I

No, I haven't. Is that a program? It's hard to get crash logs because the event viewer shows a kernel-power 41 task 61 report, which is a sudden loss of power without any discernible leading up to that point.

0 Likes

0 Likes