Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fzfanboy
Adept II

RX580 Performance Issues

Hello all,

I recently bought a Dell Gaming desktop 5675 due to prices being what they are. It is spec'd really well and I got it for a steal. The GPU is a RX580 8GB reference card and for the life of me I can't seem to get it to perform like I thought it would. Gaming performance is great but synthetic benchmarks are all very low. I rolled back the driver 1 version and It seems to have helped a little. I installed my old EVGA GTX 970 SC and ran the same synthetic benchmarks and have found that is performs almost double what the 580 does. Is there something I'm missing or did I just lose the silicon lottery? Thanks for any feedback.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Guess you'll have to contact Dell support, maybe ask for RMA on the card they supplied in your newly(new) purchased dell pc.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

View solution in original post

10 Replies
nixis
Journeyman III

I had a very similar issue. I recently bought an ultrawide monitor with Freesync, so I thought I'd get an RX580 to replace my GTX970 and test it out. In theory it is supposed to slightly out-perform the 970. In almost every game, it seemed like it wasn't performing as well as the 970. However, it really was matter of educating myself on the options in the Global Settings and Global Wattman and I had to do some tweaking in the games as well including turning off Vertical Sync in some cases, and also going Fullscreen instead of Fullscreen Windowed. It's kind of a pain, I know, because I never touched anything on my 970 and it ran like a dream. But now that I've figured out how to get Freesync and Enhanced sync working well together I have to say: I never thought that I'd experience such smooth gameplay on my rig with a sub-$300 card. Even when the card is pumping out too many frames or too little frames, it feels much, much smoother than the 970. Also make sure to use the DDU Installer in safe mode to remove any trace of the old NVIDIA drivers. Here is a video to get you started, hope it helps! I'd recommend those settings on the Global Settings, not just game-specific settings. CS:GO - AMD Profile Settings for Best Performance (FPS Boost) - YouTube

jsebastian12
Adept II

I have a similar issue with my ASUS DUAL OC RX-580-O4G... Game performance is no issue "MOST OF THE TIME" Benchmarks, Driver & Windows  detection of my dGPU is inconsistent to say the least... Any driver other than the "Latest ASUS driver" from their Support Site generates a Reference or RX 580... Only the ASUS driver correctly displays the dGPU... Although that causes incompatibility issues with Windows 10 (x64) CFU v1709... I just installed a new set of drivers from the AORUS Site for my AX370-Gaming-K5 and it seems to have helped somewhat... Which don't include the latest features like AMD Link or ReLive either..Screenshot (807).pngASUS-RX580-2.png

ASUS-RX-580-DUAL-OC-4GB.pngScreenshot (806).png

ASUS-RX580-3.png

The naming of the card is not an issue, as the amd drivers are for all make/models.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

This is a

ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMING

Look at the difference in memory clocks. What da heck? And you have a slight gpu overclock?

rx580.gif

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB

1750MHz is standard for the 4GB version of the RX 480/580... it can be clocked to 2000MHz (up to a Max of 2250MHz) quite comfortably., although I wouldn't recommend it if you game for long sessions.

Although it's definitely unusual it's using Elpida Memory instead of SK Hynix.

Still beyond that, see nothing wrong.

Now as a keynote... that video you linked for CS:GO Performance does nothing but showcase how little that individual actually knows about AMD Hardware and Settings. DO NOT Follow his Recommendations for better Performance., not that you should care given absolutely maxed out you should still be getting 120FPS+ at 4K on an RX 580., the game isn't very demanding.

As a note the "Out-of-the-Box" Settings are already Optimal for Gaming, with the exception of the Texture Filtering which can add some minor performance (it doesn't add Performance Stability... that's simply bollocks. The difference between the Filtering is Quality = Quadratic, Standard = Anisotropic and Performance = Bicubic... the performance difference is between 1-5% but is Game Dependant).

Beyond that, you want to disable the AMD Shader Cache on Games that have Shader Cache Optimisation (i.e. Elite Dangerous, Infinite Warfare, etc.) as the AMD Optimised is a less Optimal in said Scenarios. You want to set Tessellation to x8 instead of AMD Optimised or Native but this only has an effect on Games that heavily use Tessellation (i.e. Crysis, Alien Vs. Predator, The Witcher 2 / 3, etc.) ... or hell anything with NVIDIA Gameworks.

Beyond that FTRC / Chill / Efficiency disabled is a useful. I'd also go to Global Settings / Wattman., change Power to +50% ... this will improve Frame Stability as it'll typically keep the Peak Boost Clock better. You can also achieve this by lowing the Voltage for each P-State Clock, but this is a bit more Trial-and-Error.

The Default of 1150mV is what you need for 1400 - 1500MHz... you'd be better using 1080mV for 1300MHz or Lower as this will basically allow it to lock that Clock comfortably; more over it will lower overall GPU Draw from 145w Peak down to about 115w Peak; and run Cooler so, you Fan won't be as obnoxiously Loud.

Something that I'm sure the others with the ASUS Dual will attest is frankly ridiculously loud under-load (not that far off the Reference Cooler)

< • >

As for the Synthetic Benchmark Performance... first and foremost WHAT Synthetics are you running?

But still, if the issue is entirely with the Synthetics; then what does it matter if the score is low? If the issue is exclusively there, but not in Games then you have no problem.

Still you can use the ReLive Performance OSD or a 3rd Party (Afterburner for example) to keep an eye on your GPU Clock during Benchmarks., chances are it isn't pushing the Maximum Clocks for some reason. I've seen this behaviour in 3D Mark a few times over the years, where it'll stick at Reference / Idle Clocks rather than Performance Clocks.

I've been running 3DMark. I noticed last night that my game performance is actually 20FPS less than the 970 on PUBG with only high settings. Something is up with the card.

0 Likes

Guess you'll have to contact Dell support, maybe ask for RMA on the card they supplied in your newly(new) purchased dell pc.

fzfanboy
Adept II

I'm working on an RMA now. I'm bummed but oh well.

0 Likes
fzfanboy
Adept II

It's been awhile and I apologize. The issue is that it's actually a RX480 with the 580 firmware. That's why everything seemed off spec and performance wise. The date and specs are of a RX480 not 580. Dell must have been just clearing out old stock. Not happy with the machine anyways so I'll be building a R7 2700X machine in June to replace it.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
emma023
Journeyman III

i think you don't need to lose the silicon lottery there will be a solution. you should wait for a little.

0 Likes