cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Nexusflame
Journeyman III

RX580 Forced sleep mode

Well I purchased an RX580 about a week or so ago and I'm having some issues with it.  My Windows10 power settings are set to NEVER turn off the monitors and NEVER go to sleep.  However, when I installed my RX580, it has been forcing my displays to power down and then forces my system to sleep (about 10 minutes between each give or take).  I haven't been able to find any settings at all that I can tweak to stop this from happening and this is becoming an increasingly annoying issue.  Looking for any help trying to fix this problem as I really can't afford to go out and buy a new GPU.

0 Likes
7 Replies
ScotchFury
Challenger

What other PC specs do you have..? Are you using a AMD CPU? If so have you got the current chipset drivers, BIOS etc. installed and AMD power plan selected..?

Also Windows 10 will turn off the display after 5 - 10mins regardless of screen setting if you 'Lock' or 'Logout' and leave it sitting at the login screen.  This can probably be disabled somehow but have never bothered as I actually like that feature. Otherwise if left logged in it goes to screensaver, then screen off after 2hrs as per my settings.

I'm not aware of any setting in AMD Radeon Display Software that would / should effect that...

AMD Power.png

0 Likes

Well prior to changing GPU's.. I have NEVER had this issue.. nor have i ever locked or logged out of my computer.  I have never changed any of my settings on my computer, all my drivers are up to date.. literally NOTHING has changed for my system minus installing this GPU.   I even went so far as to remove the GPU and uninstall the drivers for it... leaving just the onboard graphics and I don't have that problem anymore.  Went and reinstalled my old GPU (Nvidia) and again, no problems.  Reinstalled the RX580... no settings appear to have changed at all anywhere in my system, however... about 10 minutes of being idle and it kills the connection to both my displays, another 10 minutes later sleep mode.  

0 Likes

I don't have any "AMD power plan" just the standard Windows power plan.  As for CPU I'm running an Intel i7-8700

0 Likes

Ah, ok.. Apparently Windows or "Something" can sometimes have issue going from Nvidia to AMD GPU's.. and possibly vise-versa...

My golden rule when getting a new MB, CPU, GPU & sometimes even new storage device (If being used for OS) is to do a fresh install..

I know a lot of people don't want or have crappy internet and don't particularly feel like downloading 100 - 300GB worth of digital license software and games..

DDU - Display Driver Uninstaller would be the first thing to try. To ensure absolutely all the NVIDIA drivers & software are completely removed, and then install the AMD GPU.

If that doesn't fix / work you could also try the AMD GPU Driver & Software removal tool and try installing again.

If you 'Google' NVIDIA to AMD GPU issues / problems there are quite a few articles and forum posts regarding it.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

But I have heard from quite a few people say there can be issues going from one brand to the other. Another user might be able to offer more information that has actually experienced the issue.

- Yeah, you won't need to worry about 'AMD Power Plans' as that's only for AMD CPU's.

*** Also: Another thought.. What brand RX 580 do you have..? As there have been quite a few forum posts on here lately regarding the 'XFX RX 580' cards crashing / BSOD'ing etc. even on stock settings. Some have gotten around this by down-clocking the cards slightly / altering power settings. (Personally if I brought a new GPU and had to be manually tweaked just to get the **bleep** thing stable, I'd just be returning it. Absolutely shocking that there's a solid number of users with these XFX cards crashing & glitching under Automatic / Stock Tune settings. ***

Hope that helps or points you in the right direction at least.

@Nexusflame wrote:

I don't have any "AMD power plan" just the standard Windows power plan.  As for CPU I'm running an Intel i7-8700

0 Likes

It's an MSI Armor RX580.  My board is the same manufacturer.  As for a clean install, already ahead of you there.  

0 Likes

What about the rest of the system..? What brand, rating & wattage PSU are you using? Fairly sure the 580 recommends 600 or 650W for that model card.

Definitely have all up-to-date drivers etc. from manufactures sites? Latest MB BIOS?

Checked through all the BIOS settings / options to make sure there isn't some weird conflict with onboard graphics? Reset to defaults etc.?

** Another possible test would be to download something like a Linux dist. to a bootable USB stick or similar and see if it encounters the same issue..? Ubuntu or Mint are good options and should support the RX580 fine. (Ubuntu was fine with my RX570).

Not quite a solution but at least can possibly highlight if it's a 'Windows' thing or more widespread hardware issue / conflict within your system?

@Nexusflame wrote:

It's an MSI Armor RX580.  My board is the same manufacturer.  As for a clean install, already ahead of you there.  

0 Likes

Hi,i have a 590 have similar thing happend but only with screen sleep.

Pc turning on,while staying on login screen,about 30s the screen power of him-self.

Windows setting is screen power off is after 5min.Maybe it's a feature include in the amd software.

One thing i remember on windows for each app/program we can choose extra thing but forgot what name settings it is.

0 Likes