Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Xpresive
Journeyman III

RX580 Failing?

Hello.

Recently I moved my PC to other city. After that my GPU keeps crashing under load. It seems is very sensitive to the pci-e port. Tried different PC's, drivers. Could it be that by moving i damaged the pci-e port or something?

If I position card right, it can even pass furmark test, and one time i left furmark for 5 minutes and nothing happened, until i touch the card inside the case and it crashes, after that it keeps crashing.

Crashing only happens under load, anything else is fine. By crashing i mean: purple glitch boxes, total system crash, black screen, red screen.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
8 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Open your computer case cover and start your computer. Flick the graphics card up and down with the tip of your finger. If your motherboard PCI port is damaged, pixel defects or freezing or something similar will occur.

Maybe your PCI port is damaged and does not provide about 75w of GPU power required. This may have happened too. You can try the graphics card on a different system, if possible, to find out what the problem is.

0 Likes

I thought same, but I tested my Rx card on both pc's, Ryzen and Intel. Both did same, and I had older GTX 760, it works on both computers flawlessly. Ports can't be damaged on both different PC's, I've also tried different PCI-e 3.0 port.

PSU's are enough, 550W and 600W, Corsair, Seasonic.

I'm not sure what could have happened. Maybe because i transported my PC in vertical, chungus Strix card somehow got damaged in port section. Micro-cracks could also be a possibility.

I've opened the card to inspect and I haven't seen anything wrong with it, but there's some oil-type stains around memory chips, tried cleaning it with isopropyl, but it didn't helped. I could share photos later. That could have also been a case,  but I'm not sure.

0 Likes

Sweating. This can happen with any hardware over time. The problem is caused by the GPU. bUT if I were you, I would try 100Mhz (-5%) underclocking with WattMan.

0 Likes

Try underclocking your GPU and also make sure that your PSU providers the power necessary for your graphics card to run properly. 

0 Likes

https://imgur.com/a/SKbnpM8 

Here's photos of the PCB and how furmark crashes. I haven't tried underclocking, WattMan is not a thing anymore? In new Readon software theres only tuning, but I will try it.

Also, after my furmark crashed it showed error accessing memory, seen in imgur website.

0 Likes

This is very normal...
EDIT: The PCB image you shared does not necessarily indicate that the graphics card is faulty.

0 Likes

Well, I'm not sure anymore.

It is very sensitive to pci-e port, so I would suggest it has micro cracks inside the pcb. I transported pc in vertical, the heavy card could have damaged itself.

Because after I plugged it in, it instantly was not working well. Day before travelling, I gamed, and it worked all fine, it happened after I transported PC.

It has black fume-like substance arround the chip itself in the photos. I bought this card from card miner, he mined this card for half year or even less, before bitcoin crashed. I bought this card with still existing warranty. I used this card for almost 2 years.

Maybe memory chip got roasted after a while.

0 Likes

Perspiration stains on the PCB due to overheating... Similar stains may occur on the PCB of motherboards and graphics cards depending on time and usage. These smudges do not show us that the card is defective.

I am sure for this situation.

0 Likes