Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

maximus_jw
Adept I

RX580 crossfire crash and reboot during gaming

Jump to solution

I had recently purchased 2 MSI RX580 Gaming X 8G cards. I tested the crossfire function with Furmark, 3D mark, and heaven 4.0 for hours without any issue. Also, individual cards seem work OK except some artifacts can be observed when I install and uninstall the drivers (not always). I use Tomb Raider (2013) and Nier: Automata to test the Crossfire Function, and I got randomly reboot during gaming. I keep everything in stock but the restarting persists.

I first suspects one of the card is defect, but I haven't seen any reboot issue when using individual card. Also, both cards works great in ETH mining without any errors. So, could it be that the PCIE 2.0 x 4 is causing the issue in Crossfire mode? Why everything works fine in those benchmark and test programs? Thank you!

System

• AMD Graphics Card
    • RX580 8G x 2

Operating System

• E.g. Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Tried multiple versions, including the newest.
  • Display Devices
    • DVI-D to monitor
    • HDMI to 4K TV
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Gigabyte Z97 HD3 Rev 2.1 (Pcie 3.0 x16 + Pcie 2.0 x4)
  • CPU
    • E3 1230 V3
  • EVGA 550 GS Gold (550Watt output)
  • RAM
    • 16GB DDR3 1600

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pokester
MVP

Re: RX580 crossfire crash and reboot during gaming

Jump to solution

I really think you might want a more powerful power supply to try. Still remember the +50 thing, I'd leave it set that way. I can't run my RX580 in a game without it. There are plenty of others in other threads who say the same. Many I wish you luck, I know it's frustrating.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
goodplay
MVP

Jump to solution

Start with a new higher wattage power supply (750-800W ?), you could ask on msi forum what others are using.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3200c16d kit, Aorus nvme gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850.
0 Likes
maximus_jw
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that way too. But after I disable crossfire and use one of the cards to do mining or Furmark while using the other play games. It is OK. Also, the monitor shows more power draw when I did those tests comparing the pure gaming, which only draws around 360 watts (compare to over 450 watts when I push both CPU and GPUs to the limit).

Also, I saw the exact case in the forum. Although it is with RX480. RX 480 Crossfire crashes and restarts PC

0 Likes
rombat
Adept I

Jump to solution

Sounds like Power Supply issue, if you look at the requirements for one 580 8gb they recommend a 500-watt power supply and you are running two... Try using an 850-watt power supply or even better a 1000-watt power supply.

0 Likes
maximus_jw
Adept I

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply. That's what I suspect at the beginning, but I had tried to put on my old GTX770 with one of the RX580. Then, I use RX580 doing gaming while using GTX770 doing furmark (GTX770 draws around 230W from the PSU, far more than RX580). It works unbelievable stable. I switched to another RX580, and it worked well too. That's why I got confused.

Also, in the case described in the link, that guy used 1000W PSU, but the issue continued.

0 Likes
maximus_jw
Adept I

Jump to solution

Updates: I have tried to use one of the 2 cards play the exact game, while the other one doing mining. It works perfectly well. And I also switched the PCIE lane. Nothing happened. Now I probably have to try a new PSU, which is my last option.

0 Likes
maximus_jw
Adept I

Jump to solution

Update 2: Tried with a new EVGA 750W PSU, tested for half a day, no rebooting issue now,  but there is still some artifacts(sometimes).

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

Set your power limit in radeon settings /  wattman to +50 before changing anything and see if that helps.

0 Likes
maximus_jw
Adept I

Jump to solution

I have tried it and the issue persists. I have also tried to tweak the settings in Wattman and set the last 5 states identical. Nothing changes.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Jump to solution

I really think you might want a more powerful power supply to try. Still remember the +50 thing, I'd leave it set that way. I can't run my RX580 in a game without it. There are plenty of others in other threads who say the same. Many I wish you luck, I know it's frustrating.

View solution in original post