RX5700XT - Stuttering in most games

Hi guys,

Getting quite bad stuttering in most games with the following configuration:

-MSI Z270 PC MATE

-i7 7700k

-MSI 5700XT Gaming X

-Win 10 1909

-AMD 20.2.2 drivers

Went from a GTX 1070 which was mostly perfect to the 5700XT. Most games are pretty much unplayable.

I have tried these solutions:
1. DDU and fresh install drivers - 20.2.2
2. update BIOS
3. force BIOS to use PCIe gen 3
4. all special AMD settings (FreeSync etc) off.
None of this works. However I found that once I've saved the BIOS and rebooted, all games work perfectly, Far Cry 5, the Crew 2 etc - 60+FPS in 2160p. So I thought I had fixed the issue. I played for several hours and the card stayed around 59C with all games running fantastically.
Reboot and back to the horrid low FPS and stuttering. I tried a few more reboots, same problem.
I reset the BIOS, go over all settings, change everything back to my liking. Save and exit, games are perfect again!
So I think ok, has this fixed it? Restart and back to low fps/stutter. WTF?
Back into the BIOS. Everything looks good. Change nothing. Save and exit. BIOS tells me I haven't changed anything so I just exit. Games are perfect again.
So I have tested this, and I have now repeated all scenarios dozens of times. If I boot straight into Win 10 I get god awful stuttering and low FPS.
If I open the BIOS first, touch nothing, save and exit, everything runs perfectly.
So it's kind of a workaround at least with my setup, but come on AMD! Why is this so inconsistent? 20 years as a sys admin and I have not seen any problem like this get resolved in such a weird way.
0 Likes
1 Solution
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

1526844273443938480.png

Have you tried turning off fastboot for BIOS and Windows Power Options and then restart your system?

View solution in original post

5 Replies
sasky
Journeyman III

You card is most likely a bad one like my one was...

Record your problem with a phone or make screenshots and start RMA process.

Regards,

Wojciech Sitek

0 Likes
rgraham_84
Adept I

Thanks Sasky but I doubt that's the case.

The card works brilliantly for hours at a time.

I'm thinking it might be some incompatibility between this board and the card that hasn't been worked out yet.

0 Likes

Are You sure if that's really the case? Placebo effect maybe?

For instance, my RX 5700XT used to perform badly and I had stuttering problem in games but for last 7 days it has been perfectly fine, no stutters or anything like that. I haven't change anything in my PC during last month. Literally, nothing. Zero. Some kind of a miracle happened or something, I don't know.

I really don't know what's going on with this card...

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

1526844273443938480.png

Have you tried turning off fastboot for BIOS and Windows Power Options and then restart your system?

mstsbsrn980, while I did already have fast boot turned off in the bios I was completely unaware of that Windows option - I've tried a few cold boots now and disabling that setting seems to have completely fixed my stuttering problem!

So, thanks very much for your help!

Would be good to see AMD add this to their database of workarounds until it can be incorporated into a driver.