cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Troessler
Journeyman III

RX5700 XT; Computer boots to Win Recovery after many attempted Adrenalin 22.3.1 installs

GPU: RX 5700 XT
CPU: i7-8700
Mobo: ASUS Tuf z390-plus, with latest chipset drivers and bios
Windows 10, 21H1

Hello, I've recently attempted to install Radeon Adrenalin software from 21.10.2. After 3 attempts, it always boots into windows recovery mode to repair the OS as if the new driver install corrupted it each time. I took the following steps each attempt:

1. Attempted update from the old software 21. Upon reboot, Windows went into the recovery and repaired itself. However the Adrenalin software client would not open and oddly no other web browser worked except Microsoft Edge. I figured at this point I should backup and do a clean windows and driver install.

2. After I reinstalled Windows 10, I tried doing a clean install of Adrenalin software using steps that worked when I had a similar issue when upgrading from 20.x to 21.x; uninstall, boot to safemode and run DDU, reboot, then install Adrenalin 22.3.1 as if it were a new card.

3. Rebooted and still the same result, apparently corrupted windows and AMD drivers that still wont take.

Log file and possibly relevant windows event are below:

http://snippi.com/s/32041va
http://snippi.com/s/slykr7b

Thank you in advanced for assistance.

0 Likes
9 Replies

Both of your links to Snippi.com has been tagged by my Malwarebytes Browser Guard as being unsafe due to possible Malware activity:

EDIT: The above might be a "False Positive" since this web rating site says that Snippi.com is safe domain: https://webrate.org/index.php/site/snippi.com/

Seems like this is used mainly in India. But I am personally not taking a chance.

0 Likes

Noted. (Funny enough I also have Malwarebytes and did NOT get this warning) Are there any open, temporary, text file hosts you'd recommended as an alternative so I can share the logs?

0 Likes

I edited my previous reply and deleted the Malwarebytes image since it was most likely a false positive.

It probably was a "False Positive" by Malwarebytes.  But generally I don't click to "Advance to web site" unless I am familiar with the site before hand.

Users here have been using a couple file sharing sites that seems to be popular. but at the moment I can't remember their names.

This tech review site gives the 10 best File Transferring sites: https://www.softwaretestinghelp.com/file-sharing-sites-and-software-programs/

It mentions WeTransfer as one of its top 10 sites for free file transfer. I have this site bookmarked but have never used it. I bookmarked it because I believe a Moderator recommended it to another User to upload a file for him.

IMGUR is very popular in Forums for transferring files. I see this one mentioned all the time.

Otherwise you can google to see which one you like the best.

0 Likes
RPX100
Miniboss

@Troessler hello there. I will provide detailed info for you, so you can try and fix this issue.

Please make sure to follow this guide step by step in order to ensure correct system function:
[clean install guide] - driver update - DDU - clean registry - sfc scannow

Let me know if that solved your issue.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

WeTransfer log files link for those who'd prefer: https://we.tl/t-N63dOXdMX9

Thank you for the steps, unfortunately this did not resolve my issue. =( 

Now it looks like the AMD driver does not show up in Device Manager display adapters, only Intel UHD 630, for on board graphics, and Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, which was not installed before, despite checking the "Prevent downloads of drivers from Windows Update" box as indicated.

No AMD log file was produced either this time.

0 Likes

From what I saw in the AMD Log you seemed to have 2 monitors (1920x1080) connected. One by DP and the other via HDMI.

Is this correct?

You did run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell - SFC /scannow .

That will check your Windows installation for corrupted or missing files.

Is  Windows fully updated via Windows Update?

What does  Windows Settings - Display show concerning your monitors and GPU installed?

Did you download the full AMD Driver package for the latest AMD Driver (03/2022) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-...

Did you use DDU to remove all traces of the current AMD Driver and deleted the AMD Driver Installation folder at C:\AMD before installing the current driver?

If you have Windows 10 Pro you should prevent Windows Update from installing drivers automatically via Group Policy. That way Windows won't overwrite your new AMD driver. Here Tens Forum on the various method to disable Windows Update from installing drivers: Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update & Activation Tutoria... 

You can also try to see which driver is causing your Windows not to boot up by enabling Windows Verifier. You can google that to show how to use it. Could be a conflict with a 3rd party driver while booting into Windows.

As a last resort you can try a Windows In-place Repair and see if everything works and installs correctly. I have done this in the past successfully.

Basically it is installing a new Windows folder with all of your 3rd party apps transferred over. All you have to do is run the Windows Installation file for the Windows version you have now while on the Desktop. You can do also from Microsoft Windows 10 download page: Microsoft Windows 10 Download 

The link from Microsoft will install the latest version of Windows in your computer.

0 Likes

Just curious was it easy to upload file to be transferred using We Transfer site?

It was easy to download it from that site.
0 Likes

@elstaci wrote:

From what I saw in the AMD Log you seemed to have 2 monitors (1920x1080) connected. One by DP and the other via HDMI.

Is this correct?

Correct, one 1920x1080@60 via HDMI, another 1920x1080@144 via DP

@elstaci wrote:

You did run in a elevated Command Prompt or Powershell - SFC /scannow .

That will check your Windows installation for corrupted or missing files.

Is  Windows fully updated via Windows Update?

Correct, I ran SFC on an elevated cmd window and nothing showed up corrupted. I have all essential Windows 10 21H2 updates; only a few optional quality updates need to be installed.

@elstaci wrote:

What does  Windows Settings - Display show concerning your monitors and GPU installed?

Did you download the full AMD Driver package for the latest AMD Driver (03/2022) from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-5700-series/amd-radeon-rx-5700-series/amd-radeon-...

Did you use DDU to remove all traces of the current AMD Driver and deleted the AMD Driver Installation folder at C:\AMD before installing the current driver

When I had them running via the gpu, it showed the hardware, but some attempts it showed generic Win drivers while others it showed AMD drivers (even if they were not working correctly)

Latest driver package was used and I made extra sure all traces of the old driver were removed before hand.

@elstaci wrote:

If you have Windows 10 Pro you should prevent Windows Update from installing drivers automatically via Group Policy. That way Windows won't overwrite your new AMD driver. Here Tens Forum on the various method to disable Windows Update from installing drivers: Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10 Windows Update & Activation Tutoria... 

You can also try to see which driver is causing your Windows not to boot up by enabling Windows Verifier. You can google that to show how to use it. Could be a conflict with a 3rd party driver while booting into Windows.

As a last resort you can try a Windows In-place Repair and see if everything works and installs correctly. I have done this in the past successfully.

Basically it is installing a new Windows folder with all of your 3rd party apps transferred over. All you have to do is run the Windows Installation file for the Windows version you have now while on the Desktop. You can do also from Microsoft Windows 10 download page: Microsoft Windows 10 Download

Thanks, I'll try this solution one more time and if that doesn't work wait on AMD support to get back to me before I try any last resort options. I'll keep the topic posted if any solution happens to work.

@elstaci wrote:
Just curious was it easy to upload file to be transferred using We Transfer site?

It was easy to download it from that site.

Couldn't be easier. Drag & drop interface that uploaded instantly. No (very) annoying ad's or phishing bs like I've seen on other sites I've used.

0 Likes

You mentioned you haven't installed some "Optional' Windows updates correct?

By "Optional" you are not talking about drivers but actual Windows updates.

You need to install all Optional Updates as well as the Security updates. AMD Driver may rely on recent Optional Windows Update to work correctly.

So I would make sure Windows is fully updated via Windows Update including the Optional ones. Windows Update Drivers are not included nor necessary for AMD Drivers to work. In fact it might overwrite the latest Driver from AMD and install a older Windows driver instead.

0 Likes