cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

restgarc
Journeyman III

Re: RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Good morning.   This is a follow up of my dealings with msi about the audio drops out with my msi Radeon RX5700 mech GP oc video card.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 5:12 AM, msi ocss

<msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Dear Sir:
Thanks for choosing msi!
Glad to be of service.
Regarding your concern,

Sorry for the delayed reply.
Thanks for your information and your effort in troubleshooting.
Well, as your description, probably, the IO is defect. In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option).

Best Regards
Have a nice day.

Victor Resto <restgarc@yahoo.com>
To:msihelp@msi.com

Sat, Feb 13 at 4:51 AM

Good morning. Could you clarify what you mean by:  "the IO is defect. In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option)." Thank you.

On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 6:45:12 PM MST, msi ocss <msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Normally, the audio output should be normal, and there will be no loss of audio files. So based on your description, I guess that your graphics card may have a problem. I suggest you check if it is still under warranty. I suggest you contact the service personnel who purchased the graphics card after sales and let them help you detect and repair it.

I'm attaching a copy of the receipt.  This card was delibered on August 21, 2020. I used the card for 2 months of audio drop outs. I reinstalled again the PNY Geforce GTX 750i on my HTPC without any audio drop outs.  Also are you aware that this is a problem with this video cards since July 21, 2019 as I found out in this thread:

So I would like a refund for the card. I do not want a replacement for another AMD Radeon card since AMD has been unable to fix the problem.  But I would accept an nVidia equivalent card.  Thank you.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 9:53 PM, msi ocss
<msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Thanks for informing us as to the final status of the issue.
I'm very sorry for the unpleasant experience, I wish you a happy life

Thu, Feb 18 at 3:59 AM

Could you clarify what are you going to do about the issue? Are you going to return my money or replace the card with a nVidia equivalent. Thank you.

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 6:09:36 PM MST, msi ocss <msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Notice: Please reply to this email directly, do not remove or modify the subject.

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Thanks for your information and your effort in troubleshooting.In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option).

To:msi ocss

Thu, Feb 25 at 3:52 PM

Dear Sir it looks that you did not read my last message in which I explained that I'm out of a chance to claim a replacement option.  I included a copy of the receipt and their policy to claim a warranty. So I'm trying to claim a warranty with your company.  But are you sure that a replacement will not have the same problem?  If you are sure please give a rma so I can send you the video card.  But if you are unsure of the solution please replace the video card with a vNidia equivalent.  Any help will be appreciated.

msi ocss - Your question has closed [Ref:oZ5c2226PVxRqNiYyQHB/r2WPHx0SA==]2
Yahoo/Sent

•  
    msihelp@msi.com <msihelp@msi.com>
To:restgarc@yahoo.com

Tue, Mar 16 at 10:00 AM

Dear customer,

We don't see any reply from you more than 3 days.
We will close this case.

If you still have a problem, please contact us again.
Thank you.

Best regards,
msi customer service team

Tue, Mar 16 at 3:40 PM

Please clarify. Now I need to contact the Warranty section with my Ticket # 653653 Audio Drop Outs so they can issue a RMA so I can send the card for repair or exchange?  Thank you.

Today March 29 I have not heard from them.  What do you think.  Could they be able to replace the audio component from the video card?   Also I ask if they could replace the video card with a vNidia equivalent.
0 Likes

Like so many others here, I am in the same boat as you. I suspect this is actually a hardware issue rather than a software issue, and that makes me sad. Though, I do hope I am wrong. 

0 Likes
paradoxa
Adept I

I bet it's a hardware problem.

Since I have the 6800 XT, i have no sound issues anymore.

0 Likes
rx5700xtowner
Adept I

I only recently decided to connect my 5700XT to a TV, and discovered this issue.

I tried everything I could find to resolve it - using the Windows HDMI audio driver instead of AMD's, buying the best of the best HDMI cable I could find, DDU-ing then trying older drivers, and ultimately conceded that the root of the issue is the GPU itself, at the hardware level.  Its the only explanation for why AMD would not be able to solve this after all this time.

My system:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI
5950X
16GB RAM
RX5700 XT

TV is an LG that is a few generations old by now (WebOS), set to 'Game' mode to minimize processing and reduce input lag.

My solution was to buy one of these:

Monoprice 113347 BlackbirdTM 4K Series HDMI Audio Inserter ($30)

and since my mini-ITX motherboard doesn't have an SPDIF-out, I purchased a USB DAC with SPDIF pass-thru:

Soundavo HP-DAC1 ($130)

(no links, afraid the post will be flagged as spam, but those are the names as they appear on amazon)

The USB sound card/DAC will be optional for some, so I figure just the price of the audio inserter plus any necessary cables would be acceptable to most.

I'm sending the video signal from the GPU via HDMI, and the SPDIF out from the USB sound card to the 'Audio Inserter' box, which then merge into a single HDMI cable which then goes to my TV.

The TV then uses ARC ( audio return channel ) to send sound to my home theater receiver via another HDMI cable in the specified "ARC" port.

In windows, the DAC "Just worked".  I selected the HP-DAC1 as my default sound device from the system tray, and away I went.  No driver installs, windows 10 just detected it and took care of it.

We played some steam games for a couple hours after setting everything up, and it is definitely fixed 100% now.  No dropouts even under heavy GPU load (since the GPU isn't handling the audio anymore of course).

It really is a shame this problem exists, but I hope this helps someone!

0 Likes
perolav
Adept I

When using RX5700 I never had dropout in games. but i had terrible sound dropouts  in netflix. 

i think i tried everything to fix the issue.

So i gave up and and bought RX6800. Never had a single sound dropout since.

I do think that RX5700 has a hardware issue when connecting it to an home theater receiver.

0 Likes
ithcy
Journeyman III

A cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adapter finally fixed this issue for me after more than a year of living with it.

DisplayPort out of the 5700 XT into the HDMI of my Onkyo receiver, and no more audio drops. I know this isn't a workable solution for everyone, but I hope it helps someone.

The adapter I bought was a StarTech, but I imagine pretty much any such adapter would work the same.

0 Likes
dseto
Adept I

I tried that last year, but it didn't work with Atmos soundtracks for my setup, but glad it is helping others get past that frustrating bug.

0 Likes