Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

xbl
Adept II

Re: RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

I MAY HAVE SOLVED THE ISSUE.

I changed from full range RGB 4.4.4 to YCbCr 4.2.0 

I have no stuttering music on spotify now. also changed color bit from 8 to 10 and had no effect, if a few more of you could try this and post what happens. Screenshot (11).png

0 Likes
vmota
Adept III

No luck for me, not even a beep. Which version of the drivers you have tho?

0 Likes
xbl
Adept II

using the one i have been for the last 6 or 7 days that the amd tech only just today suggest i try. FML v19.9.2

its still stuttering in cutscenes on borderlands 3 but it could be borderlands issue so gonna try more games later. 

but the fact i can listen to music on spotify is a joy to my ears.

0 Likes
duox7142
Adept I

From my understanding, what the cause of the issue can be is bandwidth saturation. If you're pushing 4K 60hz RGB444 and surround sound, you're maxing out. By doing what you did with YCbCr 4.2.0, you reduced bandwidth. This isn't ideal because text on the screen with have some artifacts now. Video games less impacted, and shows should have no impact. Rtings does a good write-up on it. Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 - RTINGS.com 

That's a bit of a hack to get it fixed, because if your TV/receiver supports RGB444 and surround otherwise, its something wrong with the graphics card driver. My RX480 handled 4k 60fps RGB444 and surround sound no problem, so why the many times faster RX5700 can't do the same is beyond me, likely a driver shortcoming. Hopefully a permanent solution comes with driver updates.

xbl
Adept II

I agree 100% but its a temporary fix so i can play some games whilst they sort these drivers out. We all know its driver issues. But amd dont seem to know anything or are not saying at least. 

My old rx 570 8gb ran perfectly on my pc and tv. It struggled with 4k obviously but it managed fine with full rgb 1440p 30fps ish depending on the game. 

Hopefully it gets fixed soon either way. 

0 Likes
nin
Adept II

Had the same problem -> audio failing randomly for .5 to 1sec in either browser, spotify or games, tried changing my setup from GC -> AVR -> TV to GC -> TV, different cables etc. with no change. Now i changed the output in the audio settings from Stereo to 5.1 and i had no issue in around 5hours of playback were it was stuttering every few seconds, i dont know why or for what reason but can somebody try this at home at answer on my post?

I would be nice if it helps other people!

PS: im from germany, i registered only to post my findings here, the english might not be 100% correct

0 Likes
vmota
Adept III

Thanks for the info, I will try again and at the same time lowering the resolution/refresh rate.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

duox7142 wrote:

From my understanding, what the cause of the issue can be is bandwidth saturation. If you're pushing 4K 60hz RGB444 and surround sound, you're maxing out. By doing what you did with YCbCr 4.2.0, you reduced bandwidth. This isn't ideal because text on the screen with have some artifacts now. Video games less impacted, and shows should have no impact. Rtings does a good write-up on it. Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0 - RTINGS.com 

That's a bit of a hack to get it fixed, because if your TV/receiver supports RGB444 and surround otherwise, its something wrong with the graphics card driver. My RX480 handled 4k 60fps RGB444 and surround sound no problem, so why the many times faster RX5700 can't do the same is beyond me, likely a driver shortcoming. Hopefully a permanent solution comes with driver updates.

what LCD are you using

I have an LG 27UL500 which is HDR compatible with Windows 10 etc.

xbl
Adept II

mine is LG SK8000PLB

0 Likes
vmota
Adept III

I have an LG SK8500PJA, interestingly enough we seem to all have LG's...

In any case, my PS4 is able to pass audio through HDMI on the same port so it is definitely the card fault.

0 Likes