cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

n0aimatall
Journeyman III

Re: RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Hey, I have been able to solve this issue on my PC.

I shared what I did on a different post here in the Community, but wanted to share this with you as well, as it seems this is the biggest post about this issue.

https://community.amd.com/message/2977708?commentID=2977708#comment-2977708

Fingers crossed this works for some of you as well. I´ll update the post once I had time to nail down what exactly made it work.

0 Likes
rockovissi
Adept II

I just installed the latest 20.5.1 drivers and still no fix. They’ve never acknowledged this in any release notes. I have HDMI out from my Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 in to my Home Theater receiver and HDMI on the main output to HDMI on my Samsung Q70R via ARC. I replaced my Sapphire RX 480, this never happened with it. The audio has been cutting out since October when I got the card. Putting it into Dolby Atmos cuts the audio out completely. Setting Windows to 5.1 has the audio cutting in and out. At least it comes back, though it’s constantly in and out. It depends on the game. But I’d prefer to put Windows in Dolby Atmos. When I do that, I have to mute Windows and unmute in order to have sound again but it just repeats and goes out anywhere from 1 to 5 seconds.

0 Likes
rockovissi
Adept II

It seems that driver version 20.4.2 has lessened the issue greatly for me. I put Windows back into Dolby Atmos and the audio no longer cuts out completely. It has skipped a little but not much. I’m hesitant to get the drivers released on 06/10.

taurea
Elite

Yes, some drivers are better than others. I've tried 20.5.1 and it was horrible. 20.4.1 and 20.4.2 was OK, but no single driver version ever for the Navi cards, has worked perfectly. Every single one of them has this HDMI stuttering issue, some are just worse than others.

If 20.5.1 was the one you thought of using, then just don't. I've tried and it was a complete fail. Audio drops all over the place and I was infuriated within just 5-7 minutes.

Myself, I'm back on 19.12.1 for the moment. That is the one I've had most luck with. Note, HDMI audio stuttering still happens with this version for me too, it's just not as frequent when only watching content over HDMI.

If I want to play a game AND watch a movie or something else at the same time, HDMI-audio still stutters quite frequently, like 10-15 times a minute.

epicfai1z
Adept I

If anyone has this issue i have managed to resolve the problem on my system. In my case it seems to be a driver conflict between the realtek audio drivers and the amd audio drivers.

This is what i have done and now no longer have audio issues.

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Select "Sound, video and game controllers"
  3. Check to see if "Realtek(R) Audio" driver is present
  4. Right click on "Realtek(R) Audio" and select "Disable"
  5. Once disabled check to see if you have "AMD High Definition Audio Device" driver
  6. Right click on "AMD High Definition Audio Device" and select "Uninstall Device"
  7. In the Uninstall Device popup ensure you check the "Delete the driver software for this device" checkbox
  8. Confirm Uninstall
  9. Once uninstalled right click on "Sound, video and game controllers" and select "Scan for hardware changes"
  10. This will re-install the "AMD High Definition Audio Device" driver
  11. Restart PC
  12. Test audio, things like youtube should no longer cut out as well as games.

Anyone need help let me know but this is what worked in my case.

pokester
MVP

Thanks for the share. Great when someone finds a work around to AMD's driver issues. Windows is designed to allow many audio sources and therefore drivers. The fact that re-installing the AMD driver works means that their driver had issues installing to begin with, when another audio device is present. Meaning it is an issue with the AMD driver. I would report you findings as you did above to AMD and maybe they can use this knowledge to get the bug fixed:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

0 Likes
rockovissi
Adept II

The drivers magically started acting up again so I tried different things. I always have MSI Afterburner running in the background with Rivatuner capping the framerate at 60fps as that does a better job than AMD’s with regards to Frametiming. Well I disabled that and stopped both applications from running when Windows starts and that seems to have worked for me so far. I haven’t tried a ton of games but I’ve been playing Red Dead Redemption 2 with Windows in Dolby Atmos and there have been no audio drops or skipping. It usually depends on the game. The Outer Wilds was always dropping audio for me and hasn’t since I disabled Afterburner and Rivatuner. I’ve previously tried uninstalling Realtek drivers but that did not help my issue. Maybe it helps? Either way, it still needs to be addressed and mark as fixed because it’s been almost a year now. If you have MSI Afterburner and Rivatuner running, try closing them and disabling them and let me know if that works for you too.

epicfai1z
Adept I

currently i run afterburner and rivatuner on my system with no issue. dont unistall the realtek drivers just disable as your system will simple re-download once it detects that the driver is missing and override the amd audio driver.

rockovissi
Adept II

That’s so strange. It’s the only thing I changed and I confirmed it twice. I set the detection level to low. I had a global cap of 60Hz. I can clearly see it does a better job with frametime than setting a minimum and maximum of 60fps under Radeon Chill. So I wish I could still use it. Yes I meant disabled Realtek in my bios.

0 Likes
sp3ci3s8472
Adept I

Solved all my problems by replacing my PSU. Seems like something was wrong there, its not the wattage because other cards also gave me some problems.... 

0 Likes