animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

699 Replies
vmota
Adept III

Re: RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

I have the same or similar issue. 

Connecting my TV through HDMI (4k/2k/1080p does not matter) the sound is not stable with lots of interruptions or no sound at all. 

Display port seems to transmit sound properly to a different monitor though (don't have display port on the tv to test). Trying different cables no luck, latest drivers as well with a clean install. 

My graphics card is the 5700 XT.

coltluger
Journeyman III

Having sound issues as well, just after installing my 5700 XT, DDU'd the drivers, tried rolling back and forth, problem persists. My sound will work OK for different periods of time and then get scratchy/shrill sounding. If I switch from 5.1 to stereo it will work for awhile then get bad again, if I switch back to 5.1 it will work for a period and so on.  I did go into the BIOS and disable HD audio control and the sound has been good for about 4 hours, not sure if it's fixed but it's the longest stretch of uninterrupted sound I've had since installing the new card.

ASUS B450-F

Ryzen 7 3700X

RX 5700 XT

animeangel
Adept I

Thanks for the advice. 

I have tried to disable HD Audio control in bios but not work for me. 

I guess I need to wait for new driver.  

0 Likes
gemini002
Adept III

I have the same issue with ryzen 3000 and radeon VII

0 Likes
faud
Adept I

I have a similar problem with 5700XT with latest drivers/clean install. I have the card outputting to a receiver via HDMI, then to my monitor. The audio randomly cuts in and out, with video being ok.

Other things such as Xbone's and other devices plugged into the same AV receiver do not have the issue...this audio dropout just limited to the AMD 5700.

I was told by AMD... 'We always recommend using the native connection to the output devices also we cannot comment on the performance if it was connected by any third-party device like receivers.'

They do realize that this isn't an uncommon setup and all monitors/connections are 3rd party, don't they?

animeangel
Adept I

Well , if I really cannot use HDMI with AVR, then I think I have no choice but say goodbye to this series. 

0 Likes
faud
Adept I

There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to. I was using Nvidia cards running through Denon AVR's for years (10+years) in the exact same setup (PC to AVR to Monitor/TV) without a single issue.

It strikes me as a decoding/audio buffer issue on the AMD side of things. There are a load of home theater users who will use AMD cards with a Media PC's outputting to their AVR via HDMI, so this issue won't go away.

I have also tried using DisplayPort out of the 5700XT to HDMI in of the AVR, and it has the same dropout issue.

faud
Adept I

I think I "may" have found a possible workaround. Audio hasn't dropped via AVR for the last 10minutes, whereby it did quickly before.

Try this;

- Uninstall the AMD Adrenaline properly with DDU

- Restart

- Install the AMD 19.7.4, but make sure you select 'Custom Install'
- De-select installing 'AMD HD Audio Driver' (i.e. don't install it) but select other options

- Finish install and re-boot
- Confirm the AMD HD Audio Driver isn't installed by going to 'Add/Remove Programs' and search by 'AMD'

- Click 'Modify'
- You should not see 'AMD HD Audio Driver' in that list
- Now try using your HDMI Output via sound settings (It will still appear as a AMD High Definition Audio Device)
- See if that works

animeangel
Adept I

Thanks for the advice. 

I will try your solution when I back home. 

0 Likes