animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies

The modified drivers did not work for me. But setting the panel to 10bpc did. Try it ! You have the instructions a few posts above .

0 Likes

I can't understand why changing a color depth that is used for hdr screen can actually solve any audio issue through avr... I don't have an hdr screen, only my avr have it on, it transmit the image to basic projector

0 Likes

@Asrans wrote:

I can't understand why changing a color depth that is used for hdr screen can actually solve any audio issue through avr... I don't have an hdr screen, only my avr have it on, it transmit the image to basic projector

OK the 10 bits format pixel didn't worked for me, still have ramdom audio drop out when connected through hdmi to my audio receiver. This is getting really annoying!

0 Likes

It worked for me, but it might be a fix only for this setup. 

Some say it is a hardware related problem with the 5700 /XT chip. AMD says the issue was fixed in a previous adrenaline release. There are also bios updates for motherboards which have a fix for HMDI audio issues.

For my setup it is even more complicated because both Samsung and LG have a lot of issues with their products and don't even recognize them, especially for this products (2018 OLED and HW-N950 soundbar). 

So i cannot say for sure where the problem has it's origin. But i can say that using the DP output works without issues. I can also say that for my setup it is not necessarily an audio drop but rather it is the HDMI link (handshake) which causes both video and audio signal loss. So maybe that was caused by the incorrect setting for color depth. The OLED panel is 10 bit and the driver is set by default at 8 bit. And if you take into consideration that many of the users that report a problem with the HDMI connection have a similar display maybe it will work for them.

0 Likes

I feel like I've tried everything to fix this. I can't seem to get the 10bpc mode to work on HDMI (2560x1440 @60Hz) (I think my HDMI cable may not be up to it) but would be the next thing I'd try.

Am I right in thinking the only people to have got this to work are using a DP connection set to 10bpc?

New to this forum, how and where is the best place to sign up for any potential updates to the fix for this?

0 Likes

I have been looking as well for a fix like everyone else. still no luck for my set-up(HTPC only). sadly the only work  around i have is to use 2nd gpu (R290) just to output the hdmi audio. but i really don't care for this solution as i don't want the extra card in my case and the 2nd power draw, even if it is small power draw.  I don't know if this is ever going to get fixed, i was going to buy the X6xxx series card, but see some are having the same issue.  just have to keep waiting i guess?

Asus Rog Crosshair VIII - default not overclocked

AMD 3950X - default not overclocked

Gskill Trident - default not overclocked

Gigabyte Aourus 5700XT - HDMI to Display (Audioquest Chocolate)

Asus R290 - HDMI to AVR (Audioquest Chocolate)

0 Likes

Hi! I found something more by using whysoslow and latency mon. I have big latency of "kernel timer latency" over 11ms cobstently, I don't know if it's enormous but anyway too much when the normality is 500-900 maximum. I have a big dpc and isr stacking problem with wdf01000, and all kernel system driver (directx, ndis, net). After running why so slow I found kernel problem too but it' s random, 8/10 test I did where having the same big kernel latency and application latency over 16ms (very big) and I found another problem, "sm bios" big latency 100+ ms, with 12 test I just got 2 normal result for this "sm bios". I will test when I will be back home to set my bios in uefi mode, I think this can provide problèm, I did a moment ago a cmos reset and after that the bios made the disk being in cms mode instead of uefi probably, I will see if that's my bios causing audio drop. Try also to make the gpu being in msi support mode in registry this can maybe help if your motherboard is not officially supporting navi10 gpu! 

0 Likes

OK I still have audio drop problem, I resolved the sm bios latency, did not changed anything on the kernel or application highest latency, I tweaked some settings of cpu and yeah actually I think this is the amd or the directkrnl.sys which is supposed to work with, the direct kernel driver sys is my highest latency... When my audio drop I have no latency spike, juste dropping audio, nothing shown related in clocks or anything else.... I don't Kow what is causing my issue, can't use my av receiver with my card. 

0 Likes
maxx84
Adept II

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.3.1 Highlights

Fixed Issues

Audio loss or cutout may intermittently occur on some TV displays when Windows® audio is set to use 5.1 or 7.1 speaker configurations.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have a 5700xt anymore to verify (I got a 6900 and till now is going stong with no issues); but seems audio driver has been updated.

0 Likes

I updated to this driver and it’s still an issue. It seems like it isn’t as bad but I still have more testing to do. I have my GPU connected directly to my receiver though and from there it’s going HDMI out to my TV which is also ARC. I have Windows set to Dolby Atmos for Home Theater.

Edit: Nope. Still a major problem. Since day one of my RX 5700. I have to mute Windows and in mute it then the audio comes back. Then a few seconds later it happens again. A year and a half now. Again, if I ever get the 6800 XT and that continues, I’ll be waiting for whatever Intel has in store.

0 Likes

Still the same issues here as well, i would think after a year now, if it was fixable via drivers it would have already been completed, but considering the reports that the 6X00 series doesn't have the issue with the same driver packages, it goes back to the general consensus, it is an issue with the hardware. i have tried Gigabyte for a RMA, but no luck.   once i can secure a 6x00 series then will just have to sell of this card to a gamer or someone that can use it.

0 Likes

forget it, I must correct myself. Issue is still there even with the 6900xt. It just seems happening less. It's definetly software releated.

Good morning.   This is a follow up of my dealings with msi about the audio drops out with my msi Radeon RX5700 mech GP oc video card.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 5:12 AM, msi ocss

<msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Dear Sir:
Thanks for choosing msi!
Glad to be of service.
Regarding your concern,

Sorry for the delayed reply.
Thanks for your information and your effort in troubleshooting.
Well, as your description, probably, the IO is defect. In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option).

Best Regards
Have a nice day.

Victor Resto <restgarc@yahoo.com>
To:msihelp@msi.com

Sat, Feb 13 at 4:51 AM

Good morning. Could you clarify what you mean by:  "the IO is defect. In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option)." Thank you.

On Sunday, February 14, 2021, 6:45:12 PM MST, msi ocss <msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Normally, the audio output should be normal, and there will be no loss of audio files. So based on your description, I guess that your graphics card may have a problem. I suggest you check if it is still under warranty. I suggest you contact the service personnel who purchased the graphics card after sales and let them help you detect and repair it.

I'm attaching a copy of the receipt.  This card was delibered on August 21, 2020. I used the card for 2 months of audio drop outs. I reinstalled again the PNY Geforce GTX 750i on my HTPC without any audio drop outs.  Also are you aware that this is a problem with this video cards since July 21, 2019 as I found out in this thread:

So I would like a refund for the card. I do not want a replacement for another AMD Radeon card since AMD has been unable to fix the problem.  But I would accept an nVidia equivalent card.  Thank you.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 9:53 PM, msi ocss
<msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Thanks for informing us as to the final status of the issue.
I'm very sorry for the unpleasant experience, I wish you a happy life

Thu, Feb 18 at 3:59 AM

Could you clarify what are you going to do about the issue? Are you going to return my money or replace the card with a nVidia equivalent. Thank you.

On Thursday, February 18, 2021, 6:09:36 PM MST, msi ocss <msihelp@msi.com> wrote:

Notice: Please reply to this email directly, do not remove or modify the subject.

Ticket:
653653Audio Drop Outs

Content:
Thanks for your information and your effort in troubleshooting.In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option).

To:msi ocss

Thu, Feb 25 at 3:52 PM

Dear Sir it looks that you did not read my last message in which I explained that I'm out of a chance to claim a replacement option.  I included a copy of the receipt and their policy to claim a warranty. So I'm trying to claim a warranty with your company.  But are you sure that a replacement will not have the same problem?  If you are sure please give a rma so I can send you the video card.  But if you are unsure of the solution please replace the video card with a vNidia equivalent.  Any help will be appreciated.

msi ocss - Your question has closed [Ref:oZ5c2226PVxRqNiYyQHB/r2WPHx0SA==]2
Yahoo/Sent

•  
    msihelp@msi.com <msihelp@msi.com>
To:restgarc@yahoo.com

Tue, Mar 16 at 10:00 AM

Dear customer,

We don't see any reply from you more than 3 days.
We will close this case.

If you still have a problem, please contact us again.
Thank you.

Best regards,
msi customer service team

Tue, Mar 16 at 3:40 PM

Please clarify. Now I need to contact the Warranty section with my Ticket # 653653 Audio Drop Outs so they can issue a RMA so I can send the card for repair or exchange?  Thank you.

Today March 29 I have not heard from them.  What do you think.  Could they be able to replace the audio component from the video card?   Also I ask if they could replace the video card with a vNidia equivalent.
0 Likes

I only recently decided to connect my 5700XT to a TV, and discovered this issue.

I tried everything I could find to resolve it - using the Windows HDMI audio driver instead of AMD's, buying the best of the best HDMI cable I could find, DDU-ing then trying older drivers, and ultimately conceded that the root of the issue is the GPU itself, at the hardware level.  Its the only explanation for why AMD would not be able to solve this after all this time.

My system:

Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI
5950X
16GB RAM
RX5700 XT

TV is an LG that is a few generations old by now (WebOS), set to 'Game' mode to minimize processing and reduce input lag.

My solution was to buy one of these:

Monoprice 113347 BlackbirdTM 4K Series HDMI Audio Inserter ($30)

and since my mini-ITX motherboard doesn't have an SPDIF-out, I purchased a USB DAC with SPDIF pass-thru:

Soundavo HP-DAC1 ($130)

(no links, afraid the post will be flagged as spam, but those are the names as they appear on amazon)

The USB sound card/DAC will be optional for some, so I figure just the price of the audio inserter plus any necessary cables would be acceptable to most.

I'm sending the video signal from the GPU via HDMI, and the SPDIF out from the USB sound card to the 'Audio Inserter' box, which then merge into a single HDMI cable which then goes to my TV.

The TV then uses ARC ( audio return channel ) to send sound to my home theater receiver via another HDMI cable in the specified "ARC" port.

In windows, the DAC "Just worked".  I selected the HP-DAC1 as my default sound device from the system tray, and away I went.  No driver installs, windows 10 just detected it and took care of it.

We played some steam games for a couple hours after setting everything up, and it is definitely fixed 100% now.  No dropouts even under heavy GPU load (since the GPU isn't handling the audio anymore of course).

It really is a shame this problem exists, but I hope this helps someone!

0 Likes

When using RX5700 I never had dropout in games. but i had terrible sound dropouts  in netflix. 

i think i tried everything to fix the issue.

So i gave up and and bought RX6800. Never had a single sound dropout since.

I do think that RX5700 has a hardware issue when connecting it to an home theater receiver.

0 Likes

A cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adapter finally fixed this issue for me after more than a year of living with it.

DisplayPort out of the 5700 XT into the HDMI of my Onkyo receiver, and no more audio drops. I know this isn't a workable solution for everyone, but I hope it helps someone.

The adapter I bought was a StarTech, but I imagine pretty much any such adapter would work the same.

0 Likes

I tried that last year, but it didn't work with Atmos soundtracks for my setup, but glad it is helping others get past that frustrating bug.

0 Likes

"

A cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adapter finally fixed this issue for me after more than a year of living with it.

DisplayPort out of the 5700 XT into the HDMI of my Onkyo receiver, and no more audio drops. I know this isn't a workable solution for everyone, but I hope it helps someone.

The adapter I bought was a StarTech, but I imagine pretty much any such adapter would work the same."

So did you manage to get 5.1 sound with that method?

I dont know if you are able to get 5.1 sound with displayport....

I currently solved this issue with using HDMI output for video and then Optical cable for sound.

That method work great and I have no sound issues anymore, but problem is that I only have stereo sound...

0 Likes

Yes, I get 5.1 sound. Atmos works for me too.

It may depend on the DP->HDMI adapter that you use. I don't know if I can post links here, but the adapter I am using is a Startech DP2HD4K60S that I got on Amazon. The specs say it supports up to 7.1 audio. 

I guess it could also depend on your receiver.

0 Likes

@daniels1 wrote:

I currently solved this issue with using HDMI output for video and then Optical cable for sound.

That method work great and I have no sound issues anymore, but problem is that I only have stereo sound...

There are some sound cards that do dolby digital encoding which will get you 5.1 via optical. I know Asus has a usb stick that does it. The Xonar product line. Alternatively, some onboard realtek sound chips can be updated with drivers to enable dolby digital live or DTS. 

0 Likes

So now I have tried using the DP port instead of HDMI but unfortunately the sound is still broken...

So in the end it doesnt matter what port you use, if you have problem with sound when using HDMI you will encounter the same issue with DP.

I would suggest that you instead use a different source for sound.

Im currently using optical output (toslink) from MB and it works great, I have zero issue with the sound now.

0 Likes

@daniels1 maybe this fix can help you to solve your sound issues for the GPU connections.

The sound issue is most likely caused by a bad driver install / Windows Update enforcing wrong drivers.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
0 Likes

Thanks for the tip

But this issue with audio stuttering on RX5700 cant be solved with drivers since its a hardware problem.

So as I wrote the only way to fix it is to use a different source for audio and for that I would recommend using the optical output.

Im using that now and it works great.

0 Likes

I have a support ticket put into both AMD and Sapphire (since I have the Sapphire Pulse version). I sent AMD a link to this thread as well. I hope they can get this fixed soon as outside of this issue my card works perfectly

0 Likes
M_xk8
Journeyman III

I have just bought an XFX 308 6600 XT... i am using the audio through my HDMI 2.0 lead... i have also tried an 8K HDMI lead...

I am getting constant audo drop outs and no sound when gaming...

I have tried multiple driver versions, MS driver versions, various cables and settings with AMD software and NOTHING works... still has major audio issues through HDMI on a LG OLED TV.

HOWEVER... i have finally fixed it!!

I removed the AMD card... REPLACED with an NVIDIA card and it works GREAT! NO ISSUES at all...

conclusion - i have sent my AMD card back for refund and will stick with NVIDIA from now on.. the latest generation 6000 series card and still has major flaws!! 

In my opinion it is not a driver issue... it is a hardware issue!! 

0 Likes

Hello,

I have LG 55SM9010  Tv and Sapphire Radeon NITRO RX 6700 XT in my PC. As TV does not have DP port I connected it via HDMI. I had huge sound drops every one second.

I removed audio drops by using relatively cheap high speed cable with DP on one side and HDMI on other side. 

However when I extend my desktop via Optoma pojector (Tv is used only as a sound source with screen off) some audio lags are back.

0 Likes

So I was wrong. Direct connection via HDMI to Tv works for 6700XT. Problem is in extending desktop.

It looks like drivers do not like certain combination of resolution and frekvency.

e.g when sceen is duplicated (Tv and Optoma go with full HD) I have audio drops when se to 30Hz. When set to 59.940Hz it is OK.

0 Likes

I have a support ticket put into both AMD and Sapphire (since I have the Sapphire Pulse version). I sent AMD a link to this thread as well.  spice money b2b

myfiosgateway login

0 Likes

fixed with setting Chroma Subsampling to YCbCr  4:2:0  inside Radeon  Adrenalin Software (for Rx6700xt)

0 Likes
Hsam01
Journeyman III

amd; pls fix this sh.it pls pls pls 

0 Likes
mclingo
Challenger

i've had this issue for a long while now, these issues hasnt really changed for me but it may be slightly different to others as i'm not really a gamer.

I use my RX5700 for playing movies with MADVR which uses the cards shaders to process the image and upscale lower fidelity images far batter than your average TV would.

The issue I was having was the the audio would cut out maybe 4-5 times or more per movie. The issue I had fixing it was that I incorrectly thought there was only one issue to solve. 

I use a Yamaha 4k HDMI 2.1 receiver, when using direct to my TV I had no issues. 

I first tried using the older driver that some people suggested, this made it worse for me. I then tried dropping to ycbcr from fullRGB to lower the pixel rate / bandwidth of the card, this made some difference, it was definitely better but not fixed.

At that point thinking I had exhausted everything so I started looking at buying a 6000 series card but then noticed people were still having issues, I then thought, I'll wait for the 7000 or get an INVIDIA. Sadly INVIDIA no longer support 3d natively, have HDR playback issues and also don't support 23,976 natively either, so that was never really an option for me.

So I decided to try using the DP port, this did work but only as much as dropping to to YCBCR, both together made no extra difference.

What finally seemed to solve it completely was upgrading my 18gbps cable to an 8k 48gbps cable, here are the two items I purchased should anyone else want to give then a go, I should also note that when using these two I was able to go back to FULL RGB which is also better for movies.

DP adapter

Belkin HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter, DP 1.2 to HDMI 2.0 Converter for 4K 60 hz Monitor with HDR 10, H...

8K HDMI cable

Amazon Basics Premium 48Gbps Ultra High-Speed 8K HDMI Cable, Dark Gray - 182.8 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Ele...

0 Likes

Well I spoke too soon, I dont use HDR much and hadnt tested that, this adapter claims to HDR compatible but doesnt work, this is probably why the problem has gone away as its not feeding my reciever a full fat 4K HDR signal anymore, whats odd though i'm still getting 4k FULL UHD 60hz @ 444 FULL RGB 10bit 

0 Likes
mclingo
Challenger

Hi, any news about whether this problem is also affecting the 7000 series cards, was hoping to pick up a low end variant when AMD has finished scalping its customers for high end cards...

I'm more convinced that ever now this is a bandwidth / driver issue as I can solve all my problems by using a Display port to HDMI dongle that doesnt support HDR and thus removing HDR from the equation, as soon as I put my HDR version in problems come back, and i've tried several different varieties of DP to 4k HDR/HDR dongles.

I think the bandwith over HDMI must be getting squeezed for some reason by the driver or even hardware, i dont have a HDR displayport cable TV or monitor to try to see if its the translation from DP to HDMI is causing it though, surely if it was simply a driver issue they'd have fixed it by now. We just have to hope the 7000 series is vastly different to the 5000/6000 series which are quite close hardware wise

0 Likes

Im not sure if that card would work but if you are willing to spend a bunch of $$$ and give it a chance just go ahead.

For me this will be my first and last AMD card, the next one will for sure be a Nvidia card. I have used those for years and never had any problems, quite contrast to the AMD card I have now...

0 Likes

I use AMD Cards since 1990 - had 3 Nvidia Cards since - more probs with Nvidia (plus their proprietary **bleep**) and only one (yet continous) problem with AMD cards (VRAM stays max clock when 2 screens with high refreshrate are connected)

usually the error sits 40cm from the screen

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Lucky you. You're not using an avr like all the other people in this thread. You are correct though, the real problem is sitting 40cm from your screen.

0 Likes