animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies

I would also add that since this thread is for 5700 cards that you 6800 users start a new thread. It will likely garner more attention than this lengthy old thread and be easier for 6800 series users to find on a search with their issues. 

0 Likes

I had terrible sound droputs on Netflix using my rx 5700.

Today i uppgraded to rx 6800 and all the sound issues seems to be solved.

I only had this problem using the netflix app. no issues with VLS or any browser.

Also the FPS did double with rx 6800 with test run in 3Dmark :smileyvery-happy:

That is some promising news. Thanks for the share. It is good first hand experience to know about as many of us like myself are scared to pull the trigger on the new cards as we don't want to waste our time and money to have an issue. 

I have been running RX 6800 for while now without any sound issues. 

I also tested atmos. No problem what so ever. Tested both Netflix and VLC.

I sold my RX5700 and i did get more for it used compared what i paid for it new. Go figure.

Sony 75 LED tv

Onkyo receiver

Also bought new 2.1 HDMI cables. But i don't know if that made any difference.

0 Likes

I have a much lower issue now, drop are still present but that's like one or two per hours. Can't solve this, I don't know what to do I tried everything. I'm going to sell my card, the price in my country have exploded. Going for an Nvidia like my old card, I was not having any issue with my gtx 960 (lol). I read other thread, many peoples have my issue recently, no-one with my card, only for rx5700/5700xt maybe because no-one going for a budget card with a home cinema. I'm tired of this! tried everything to love my card, fixed games stuttering, no issue with USB audio on my pc, only when I go hdmi on my card... That's frustrating. Also I have very good card perf on userbenchmark and 3dmark (93 which is correct) and good perd in game, when the card is not in idle mode that's no problem, but when I run Netflix all problems are back. Now I will go for an 3060 or a cheap 2070 maybe, or just going for igfx for watching Netflix, my rx5600xt can't do that correctly (lol?). I missed to mention that the badest audio drop are in Bitstream, that's unusable, the signal is unstable as bleep. I run in pcm 5.1 mod and even in pcm 5.1 I have totally random drop. 

0 Likes

Sorry for been so late to the party.  My ticket number with AMD is 8201034627 and with MSI 619873.  I'm surprise with the answer of MSI to the audio drop out:

Ticket:
619873Audio Dro[ Outs

Content:
Does anyone use window10?If possible,please test your graphics card with another motherboard to check whether it's the same.Maybe you can swap with a friend or relative. 

MSI is dragging their feets like AMD to this problem.  But as one of you suggested in this thread I wrote to MaximumPC letting them know of the problem. I made a request that when they test video cards test them through a home theater audio receiver.  This is the letter:

Hi there. I have been a reader since Boot Magazine and I'm grateful of all the work you do reviewing computer hardware.  But I need you to ask you a request when reviewing graphic cards and I know it will be more work for you.  I build a HTPC for playing video files of all format because my Smart TV  a Vizio M65-E0 is not so smart when playing different video formats. I search through the internet and buyed a MSI Radeon RX5700 MECH OC 8GB card on 8/14/2020 to replace a PNY GeForce GTX 4GB card that could play 1080p video files but could not play 4K video files.

This card was connected through a HDMI cable to a Onkyo TX-NR797 like the PNY card.  When I began to test the card I found that when playing video files there were audio drops out through the test. I download the latest drivers without any luck.  So I went to AMD forums and found that this was a problem with RX5700 cards since July 2019 on this forum:

Is a pity that AMD has been unable to fix this audio drop outs problem.  I replace the MSI Radeon with the PNY  and there are no audio drops out.  So my request is if you can test the audio of new video cards through HDMI connected to a audio receiver.  I know that this is not a common use for video cards but why include this function on a video card if it does not work.  Thank you.

I will try to test the Radeon RX5700 MECH OC 8GB with my main pc to find out if there are audio drop outs.

0 Likes

I am going to tap out with the 5700xt, fingers crossed the 6800xt works correctly, once they come in stock, which maybe some time, i will get one ordered.

0 Likes

Well here's an odd one for you all...

I have a clone of my nvme drive on a samsung sata ssd - no issues on the sata drive but audio dropouts on the nvme.

0 Likes

And that fix didn't last - several reboots later and the problem is back so it was nothing to do with the nvme drive :(

0 Likes

I'll repost here too: There are 3 pseudo-solution for this appart from going team green.

- Download and activate the dolby (the free version) : downsides sound still drop but muting, unmute kinda work.
- Put load on the card, like light benchmark as an old furmark : downsides > fan noise, power consumption.

- Try to go DP to HDMI, either directly with a cable or with an active adaptor : downsides > sometimes sound get distorted with noise, Often after a wake up from sleep. Just press mute and unmute. Also you may have good sound only in 1920x1080, 720 will be distorted, under 800x600 : no sound over 1080p can get some cut, over 1440 no sound again

THANK AMD FOR THIS! I wonder how you can still have the HDMI compliance... 

This is not really a software bug, it's a driver/hardware bug, ' seems like AMD cannot find out how to cope with their DPC latency and ISR execution time.

0 Likes

Could it be that AMD is trying to avoid a video card recall?

0 Likes

I think they are trying to avoid a recall for sure, i wish they would at-least offer trade-in for another card , I am  more then willing to pay the difference for a 6800xt , but i just don't want to lose all the money invest for the 5700xt.

0 Likes

Ok so i had the same issues as everyone else, try this and it should work

go to the amd 5700 official driver page download the latest complete package 

which should be 21.1.1, once you download extract the whole package to a folder on your desktop

once this is done go into the folder, click on packages then drivers then audio then hdmi

then you will see a folder named WT64A Click on it

then open the AtihdWT6.inf scroll to this line

HKR,PowerSettings,PerformanceIdleTime,1,0A,00,00,00
then change it to this and save it, if it gives you a need administration rights just save it on the desktop then replace it in the folder
HKR,PowerSettings,PerformanceIdleTime,1,00,00,00,00

after this install the whole pack from setup like usual

reboot the computer and test it out you should not be experiencing any audio cutouts anymore

0 Likes

Gave the noted .inf mod a try, still no such luck for me with Gigabyte Aorus 5700XT Rev.1

HKR,PowerSettings,PerformanceIdleTime,1,00,00,00,00

0 Likes

that sucks, well make sure you completely uninstall all your amd drivers first, you can do it with something like DDU, also you can try to put HDMI Assurance on in the AMD Control panel and turn off stuff like free sync, enhanced sync and try setting your Color depth to 10 if you have a oled or HDR Screen, a weird thing i noticed is mine only started to do it recently i had this card for 5 months and it was fine. so if worse comes to worse try to do a complete fresh install of windows. also some people have had luck changing setting in their bios but the only thing that worked for me was the edit. also if you use headphones the issue seems to not exist cause it's using the realtek drivers instead of hdmi

0 Likes

also i don't think it'll make a difference but mine is a regular MSI Evoke 5700 not a XT

0 Likes

I like too many users with this card have tried all the suggested methods found on the web, but no luck as it does seem to be a hardware \ chip issue. 

i think makes a difference on the usage, for example mine is strictly for HTPC with bitsteam to the AVR , so it happens a lot with Atmos and DTS-X, not as frequent with DTS or Dolby Digital, but still does happen in these formats regardless. 

Good morning to all of you.  I did as technical support of MSI suggest.   And this is what happened on Feb 10:

Sorry for answering so late.  My first ticket was # 619873 and you suggest to install the video card on another computer.  I did that on my main computer with the  same results.  First I played 3 video files and 1 mp3 file with the video card I have installed on my main computer a PNY GeForce GTX 1650.  All 4 files played without audio drop outs.  
Then I uninstalled the GeForce drivers.  I installed the MSI Mech Graphics card GP Edition AMD Radeon RX 5700. Then proceed to install the latest driver: non-whql-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.2.1-win10-64bit-feb1.exe . Then I played the same 4 files but this time I had a lot of audio drop outs. I used the same HDMI cable.  I'm including the system configuration with the PNY card and with the MSI card. Please advise.

And this was their answer:

Dear Sir:
Thanks for choosing MSI!
Glad to be of service.
Regarding your concern,

Sorry for the delayed reply.
Thanks for your information and your effort in troubleshooting.
Well, as your description, probably, the IO is defect. In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option).

Best Regards
Have a nice day.

I reply with the following:

Good morning. Could you clarify what you mean by:  "the IO is defect. In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option)." Thank you.

This was their answer:

Dear Sir:
Thanks for choosing MSI!
Glad to be of service.
Regarding your concern,

Well, as your description, probably, the IO is defect. In this case,maybe you can contact with your reseller or your local service center, ask for checking in detail or repair(replacement option).

Best Regards
Have a nice day.

And my reply today:

This card was buyed on Newegg.com and there is no replacement or refund as you can see:

--Manufacturer Warranty

1. Summary

1. Return for refund within: non-refundable

2. Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

2. Detail

1. Newegg.com does not offer any express warranties. However, many of the products available through Newegg.com are covered by Manufacturers' Warranties. If a product is covered by a manufacturer's warranty, it will be stated on that product's web page. Manufacturers' warranty details are typically available at the manufacturer's website; click Contact Manufacturers to see a list of the manufacturers whose items we carry. Detailed manufacturer warranty information can also be obtained for free by contacting our Customer Service department. Please note that products in this category are non-refundable unless otherwise indicated.

I'm attaching a copy of the receipt.  This card was delibered on August 21, 2020. I used the card for 2 months of audio drop outs. I reisntalled again the PNY Geforce GTX 750i on my HTPC without any audio drop outs.  Also are you aware that this is a problem with this video cards since July 21, 2019 as I found out in this thread:

So I would like a refund for the card. I do not want a replacement for another AMD Radeon card since AMD has been unable to fix the problem.  But I would accept an nvidia equivalent card.  Thank you.

Lets see what their answer will be.
0 Likes

This is the answer MSI gave me for the clarification about the IO defect:

Dear Sir:
Thanks for choosing MSI!
Glad to be of service.
Regarding your concern,

Best Regards
Have a nice day.

0 Likes

Hey guys try this, after i posted about reinstalling the hdmi audio after editing the file, a while ago the audio drops came back, but this time i think i figured it out, it'll be a pain to do it everytime you turn on your pc but i'm sure it works. once your pc has loaded go into the radeon settings go to display and switch from  

RGB 4.4.4
To
YCbCR 4.4.4.
Then Back to RGB 4.4.4
This should stop all audio drops

atleast in my situation it does, i am running stereo, i also have hdcp and hdmi link assurance on

i am also running in 4k 60hz so on your tv make sure you set your HDMI to EDID 2.0

Also note that when set to EDID 1.4  which was 4k at 30hz there wasn't any sound drops at all

but who wants tor un at 30hz lol

0 Likes

Nothing has ever worked for me. Nothing has ever fixed this. It's been over a year since I got my Sapphire RX 5700. It's the single most annoying thing on my computer. I even recently got a new motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, and case. The only thing that's remained the same has been my GPU and all of it's audio cutting out. Some games it's fine but some games it's not. There's no amount of trickery, clean uninstalling/reinstalling drivers in safe mode, using the AMD uninstall tool, settings, cables (HDMI to HDMI 2.0, 2.1, Displayport to HDMI, etc.) HDMI inputs on my A/V Receiver, changing from RGB 4:4:4 to YcBcR 4:2:2 or anything like that. There's nothing. Everyone stop trying and just report this as an on-going bug. I just did...again. I know AMD said they fixed it a few driver updates ago but it was never fixed for me. The only thing I can think of and hope for is someday getting an RX 6800XT and hoping this isn't an issue with that. Otherwise, hate to say it, but I might need to go with Nvidia if this is going to continue to happen.

Well i have uppgradet to an rx 6800 from rx5700 3 monts ago and have not had a single audio droput after i installed the new GPU.

i use my computer in a home theater system conected to an receiver. 

0 Likes

That’s exactly what I’m hoping for. Thanks for the confirmation. 

0 Likes

Like so many others here, I am in the same boat as you. I suspect this is actually a hardware issue rather than a software issue, and that makes me sad. Though, I do hope I am wrong. 

0 Likes

I bet it's a hardware problem.

Since I have the 6800 XT, i have no sound issues anymore.

0 Likes
aim1999x
Journeyman III

I have 5700xt and I struggled with this issue as well as crackling sound. I managed to fix this completely (sort of). My card is connected to Denon receiver 7.1.  I am using driver version (I think I saw this mentioned around here somewhere) 19.7.5 and I don't have any issues whatsoever. I recently installed most recent drivers and the problem was unbearable. I uninstalled it with DDU and installed 19.7.5 again and the issue is gone again. It works with 5.1 and 7.1 and it used to work with Atmos as well (my receiver had fw upgrade and I think that broke atmos from pc cause now it doesn't produce any sound at all even receiver is showing atmos logo) BTW my receiver is Denon x3200w

This may not solve it for everyone but it solved it for me. Using old drivers is not optimal but it's lesser of two evils. 

I am little concerned because I was able to order 6800xt and I doubt old drivers work with it. I would rather get 3080 but no luck.

0 Likes

I actually discovered that enabling the "pure audio mode" on the receiver made a big difference. It basically is an option when receiver is not doing any processing of the audio it just plays what it receives. I updated to latest amd video driver and was able to play a game for about half an hour with out any issues. It may be a fluke but if anyone is using avr it's worth a try (this mode may be called differently depending on brand)

0 Likes

The only real fix for me was uninstalling the card and all the AMD drivers and installing my new Aorus 3080. No more audio issues and I can now play games like Pinball FX3 and Lego City Undercover that for some unfathomable reason were completely unplayable when I had the AMD Audio driver installed.

I now have my 5700xt installed in my backup PC with the audio running through a 3.5mm jack from the mobo to a pair of stereo monitors. No issues at all. I always like to support AMD and the 5700xt should be a great card but it's hard to imagine why they continue to ignore these problems. I'm glad that the card is working with my backup rig but it's still frustrating knowing that I'm limited in what I do with that PC because of the broken drivers.

The sad thing is that AMD was the first to support digital audio through a video connection on PC GPU they did it with DVI when Nvidia was offering nothing like this yet. 

How they have bungled this on Navi is beyond me. Audio over HDMI is still fine on Vega and Polaris and earlier GCN.

The fact that Navi was bad and now RDNA2 users are already reporting this not fixed is really troubling. You would think AMD could make this a big priority as lack of audio working right is a HUGE deal. 

0 Likes

Hi guys,

I also have an Asus Rog Strix 5700XT and  just bought a sound bar (Sony HT-X8500), which works fine via Optical cable, but since this is a Atmos capable soundbar I decided to connect via HDMI. It seems that the PC doesn't even recognize any device via HDMI and what happens is that the image starts stuttering. As soon as I remove the HDMI cable every gets back to normal.

This is so frustrating, I've had so many issues with this card over the past year. Does anyone know if a Display port to HDMI cable will fix the issue? I mean, I have two 4k monitors with built in speakers connected via Display Port and the audit works fine. 

Cheers.

0 Likes

Hi,

I have the same problems with HDMI audio dropouts. My GPU is connected to a DENON AV via HDMI. Opened ticket at AMD support and followed the instructions but no solution in sight. (I will niot put my GPU in the PC of a friend... and I don't want to go through a fresh windows install. This is nonsense...)

I tested: DP to HDMI adapter, older driver 12.2.1. but bug persists.

This is very frustrating. Any ideas what to do?

Regards

0 Likes

Just had a similiar issue with my rx6800: https://community.amd.com/t5/graphics/rx6800-sound-problems-over-hdmi-and-no-dolby-atmos/m-p/432316

I was able to "fix" by doing this:

- go to device manager

- select AMD HD Audio, Uninstall device, check delete drivers

- go to action > scan for hardware changes

- the device will be re-installed using default Microsoft drivers

No more audio dropouts, but still not possible to enable dolby atmos.

0 Likes

I had this issue with 5700xt and 6800xt on Denon receiver as well. What fixed it for me is turn on pure audio direct mode on receiver. 

0 Likes

I have them both, Only the 5700XT has this problem, my VEGA 64 and my 6800XT don't happens I see that PC facts youtube channel's test that and don't face this problem anytime too,

Only happens when dolby atmos is on,

but when you Setup on 6800XT PCM 5.1 or 7.1 16/24/48/192 this don't happen's, and still decode's atmos sound.

0 Likes

did you guys tried a 2.0 or 2.0b HDMI cable?

i know that this in theory should not be the problem - but please check that

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes

Issue: HDMI link / audio drops when streaming from PC 

Setup:

RX 5700 (w XT bios)

Samsung HW-N950 soundbar (HDMI input)

LG OLED B8 (HDMI ARC)

Possible fixes tried so for:

- AGESA 1.0.0.6 bios update

- Set PCI to GEN3 in bios

modified Adrenaline 20.12 audio driver 

- Installed 18.10.1 audio driver

- disabled Realtek drivers

- reinstalled Radeon drivers after DDU cleanup

- DP adapter (works but you loose HDR with DP 1.2)

FIX that worked:

Make sure you set your LG OLED to use YCbCr 4:2:0 Pixel format and 10 bpc Color Depth. 

Before setting 10bpc, the HDR logo appeared every timed i switched from Desktop to 3D HDR content.

When the video card entered idle state (0% use) the HDMI link failed causing black screen. Sometimes for a second and then the connection was reestablished until the link failed completely and i had to switch to another input on my soundbar and then back. The issue manifested in games, PLEX streaming, or without any app (desktop).

After i switched to 10bpc i have no problem. The HDR logo appears only when i turn on the TV (HDR turned on in Display Settings). Atmos works fine, PLEX works fine with both HDR and ATMOS / DTS, gaming works fine.

Please try this and if it works come back with feedback. 

There are a lot of complaints out there regarding this issue and i read in similar topic that most of them are using LG OLED displays. Also, i don't think anyone wants to spend an extra 30$ on a DP 1.4 - HDMI adapter witch i also think it works. My DP1.2 adapter solves the problem but it's not HDR capable.

LG HDMI fix 2.pngLG HDMI fix.png

0 Likes

Hi guys, 

I actually found this interresting things by looking at the amd high definition audio device. I have an rx5600xt and I'm experiencing giga audio dropout on Bitstream to my audio receiver and less but anyway too much on pcm multichannel to my receiver in every application, games, Netflix (onkyo txsr-494). Nothing when I'm on my USB headset, hdmi problem maybe, just falsy hdmi audio controller ?  I'm sad because my actual amd card can't do what my gtx 960 was doing easily (transmit audio correctly lol), this is just ridiculous. Actually I'm even more sad because I just found that the "amd high definition audio driver" hasn't been updated since April, this is the same  for every released since the 20.7.2. Wtf? 

This my first amd card, I'm sad I surely made a mistake...

I'm actually on the 20.11.2, the more stable for playing with a rx5600xt.

The amd high definition audio driver date that window is showing to me is 01/04/2020? And the version is 10.0.1.6. Just after the release of this version (high definition audio driver version of the 20.7.1), amd reported in the 20.7.2, the audio stutter when connected to an av receiver! Guys they never fixed it because the driver never changed since this version. IMG_20210102_034657.png

IMG_20210102_035230-min.jpg

0 Likes

Look at the end of this thread, the person there may be on to a sort of fix.

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/rx-5700-xt-hdmi-audio-bugfix/m-p/68780#M9388

0 Likes