animeangel
Adept I

RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Ryzen 5 2600x 

msi b450 tomahawk latest bios

kingston predator 3200 cl  16-18-18-36

Windows 10 up to date. 

I connect VGA to AVR via HDMI.

The problem is the sound from RX5700 is not smooth. It often jerky or sometime, the sound disappear.  I need to mute it from taskbar and open again then the sound will come back. But the problem will happen again and again.   

Updated driver cannot solve this problem. 

And my old RX580X do not have this problem. 

Any advice please? 

715 Replies

CLUB 3D CAC-1080

Is the best one out there IMHO plus the only one I know of that does 60hz HDR as well. 

0 Likes

Mhm, looks like a passive adapter. Funny that this should work. I may try purchase a DP-1.2 to HDMI-2.0 active adapter and see if that works.

0 Likes

I tried with DP-> HDMI passive adapters. The problem persisted, unfortunately.

0 Likes

G'day mate.

And even though I still think it should not be my problem to purchase accessories for a GFX I've already payed a large sum of money for, to make it work, I actually bought a DP-->HDMI adapter which is ACTIVE.

I've not yet completed my testing with it, but so far it does actually look like it is working. There is a but, though.

I use my setup for multiple things at the same time, I like playing games while having a movie on my TV at the same time. that's what I do and that's what I want my setup to be able to do, like I've been able to before with other graphics cards.

The BUT with the active adapter is this:

I put a movie on my TV and launch a game on my PC monitor. the movie runs fine for some time, while I play my game and the audio doesn't stutter, hence why I said that the active adapter is working in THAT sence.

BUUUUT, the video is now the problem!! After a short while, the video/image will actually start stuttering and lagging, while the audio is now running fine. So I've traded once problem for another.

It is also important to note that I've seen this problem before, so this is NOT directly related to the adapter. I've just not cared that much about it because the audio-stuttering was always the first thing crap out.

Now that the Audio is "working", the video is the problem.

If I'm NOT playing games, it runs fine, so my guess is this is some sort of driver prioritization thingy thingy where the driver is converting all power the primary monitor (PC game) and leaves nothing left for the TV (2'nd monitor). This even still happens if I run the game in V-sync and don't pull much more then 60-70 watts even though it is good for 200+ watts.

Again, this SCREAMS driver issues !!

I've tried SO many times to get AMD support guys to read this thread, but I've failed...  I posted some of the conversations here in this thread earlier, let me try and find them again...

This is one: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=250&mode=comments#comment-2946271 

and this one is interesting too: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=325&mode=comments#comment-2954448 

And this one: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=350&mode=comments#comment-2955592 

And this: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=350&mode=comments#comment-2955820 

0 Likes

The cable I bought had to be 60hz.

0 Likes

But have you tried to install Microsoft audio driver instead the AMD audio ones?

Club 3d dp Port ti HDMI adapter + Microsoft HD audio driver worked for me

0 Likes

I tried this method and still have the issue. After months of researching this issue and consulting with a authorized MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and Sapphire repair outlet called Synnex here in Thailand the repair guy said this is a defect in the 5000 series chip and it is the one commonality all the brands he works on are experiencing. They are now not even bothering to trouble shoot or repair any 5000 series cards in regard to HDMI audio issue and are taking them back for credit as long as they are still within the 3 year warranty period.

0 Likes

There is little doubt this is a hardware issue. The tech sites beat around the bush about it but don't come right out and say it, they just vaguely say there are hardware issues with Navi that the drivers can't fix. 

AMD should officially announce this to be the case and offer exchanges to those affected for the new cards when they come out IMHO. At the least acknowledge the issue. I can't imagine how much money and time end user have spent loading drivers, swapping hardware, buying adapters and cables even televisions and receivers try to fix an unacknowledged AMD hardware issue.  I just hope it is truly fixed in RDNA2. 

0 Likes

Many of my Steam friends have Navi and it has not been a problem

0 Likes

This issue seems to mostly affect some Navi users connected via HDMI to a TV or Receiver.  The drivers have made some headway making the issue happen as much, but it is a very real problem that doesn't get more complaints as most don't connect this way and as many have figured out it can be circumvented by going display port to HDMI via adapter. This is literally one of the most things complained about in the forums. 

There isn't much point in mentioning those who don't have a problem. That doesn't mean the OP and countless other don't. This issue has even been listed as a known issue by AMD in the driver notes. Unfortunately they claimed it fixed a couple drivers ago but many acknowledge it being better but definitely NOT FIXED.

My TV has an option for EDID 1.3 or EDID 2.0 and 1.3 works across the board. EDID 2.0 was deprecated with 1.3

Depending on the television a given video card and its driver may not be able to figure it out.

I have DP to HDMI and every other cable out there so I can use whatever card with any panel I have

My old GTX 690 works with a DVI to HDMI cable on my television fine even at 4K

0 Likes

There have been numerous people with this issue with Navi who have reported that both other AMD cards and Nvidia cards work fine. Which is why it is an issue in hardware on Navi. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

There have been numerous people with this issue with Navi who have reported that both other AMD cards and Nvidia cards work fine. Which is why it is an issue in hardware on Navi. 

Given that coin miners are hogging all of the Navi cards, this is why I have a RTX 2080 instead.

0 Likes

I don't know where you live but it is far easier to get a 5000 series for 1/3 the prices of a 2080. There are tons of 5000 series on the shelves at almost every outlet, Unlike the 3080- 3090's that are all being scalped and sold for 2-3x over market value. Of course if you want ot buy a 2080 those are easy to get, but why would you? The performance is not much higher then a 5000 series and you pay a hell of a lot more. If you just waited you could get a 3080 whose performance is 50% better then a 2080 across the board and are near the same prices you paid for that 2080. Oh of course this all depends on when Nvidia pulls the stick out of their rear and learns to launch a new card and meet demand. I actually went team green over this HDMI issue and popped in my old 1080gtx and no more audio issue. But I am not going to tout how great Nvidia is because they got one thing right. As soon as the 6000 series hits I am back on team red because well it all comes down to bang for the buck. 6800XT looks to be a 3080 killer and near close to a 3090 in performance at less power draw and much less $$$. I might even hold off a bit and go with the 6900XT. Of course if AMD screwed the pooch with the HDMI audio it is back to team green and my little old 1080.

There is nothing here but Navi cards on shelves and and very few RTX 2060s   Nothing above that. 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

There is nothing here but Navi cards on shelves and and very few RTX 2060s   Nothing above that. 

The low end cards are available sparingly.

0 Likes

In the current gen that is what I see at Micro Center. The only cards they have a lot of are RX 5700 series.

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

In the current gen that is what I see at Micro Center. The only cards they have a lot of are RX 5700 series.

I have seen on NewEgg some low end cards, not so many uppity cards. Prices are still out of line with fair value.

Over on eBay a used 5700XT was close to $400 bid. I was watching it to see what the values are as it opened at 99 cents.

0 Likes

xsile wrote:

I don't know where you live but it is far easier to get a 5000 series for 1/3 the prices of a 2080. There are tons of 5000 series on the shelves at almost every outlet, Unlike the 3080- 3090's that are all being scalped and sold for 2-3x over market value. Of course if you want ot buy a 2080 those are easy to get, but why would you? The performance is not much higher then a 5000 series and you pay a hell of a lot more. If you just waited you could get a 3080 whose performance is 50% better then a 2080 across the board and are near the same prices you paid for that 2080. Oh of course this all depends on when Nvidia pulls the stick out of their rear and learns to launch a new card and meet demand. I actually went team green over this HDMI issue and popped in my old 1080gtx and no more audio issue. But I am not going to tout how great Nvidia is because they got one thing right. As soon as the 6000 series hits I am back on team red because well it all comes down to bang for the buck. 6800XT looks to be a 3080 killer and near close to a 3090 in performance at less power draw and much less $$$. I might even hold off a bit and go with the 6900XT. Of course if AMD screwed the pooch with the HDMI audio it is back to team green and my little old 1080.

I am in Canada, at the local vendors there are slim pickens for video cards. Hopefully that will change with the new Radeon cards entering the market. The fear is that digital coin miners will grab vast numbers of cards.

0 Likes

So how does the display port adapter work? Does it connect to the rx5700xt display port connector then to the receiver, then receiver to Tv?

What bothers me about this is that the HDMI should work. You spend 500 bucks on a card and all the components on that card should work properly. AMD's lack of support on this issue is unacceptable.

I have HDMI cables, DisplayPort cables and conversion cables galore. They all work fine.

I tried my GTX 690 with a DVI to HDMI cable and it does 4K fine.

I use a clean install of windows when testing, this way I can rule out system corruption

0 Likes
comandante_j
Adept I

Another user with problems reporting in. Ever since i got my new TV, LG C9, around 5 months ago, constant cuts. Before the last driver update (i'm on 20.10.1) it was bad, but at least i could play graphically intensive games and it only cut when playing older games... now i cant even play FS 2020 because the audio cuts more time than it is on. It's hopeless. I'm forced to play with a headset, which i hate, specially for long sessions. I love AMD but i'm gonna have to hear from people about this issue on the new gen of cards befor even thinking about getting one... and let's hope the new consoles dont have this problem, either.

it is always LG oled or SM series

have you tried any of possible solutions featured above?

0 Likes

I've tried lots of things... changing the HDMI driver, getting a DP to HDMI adaptor, getting a really expensive Belking HDMI 2.0 cable, tried all audio optios (PCM and bitstream in both stereo and 5.1), I haven't tried Atmos because, although my TV can decode it, I dont have the license in Windows (and I'm not paying for it). But from what i've read, it still drops the audio.

And I can't use another GPU because my TV only accepts audio from the HDMI it's displaying, if I had a separate receiver I could run the audio separetely, I think.

I havent tried with another TV or monitor, and frankly, moving either the computer or another TV to get them together is a real chore, the smallest TV with HDMI audio I got is 50 inches, and the computer uses a big Corsair Obsidian 750 case and watercooling.

0 Likes

Most people which have this issue have an LG oled from what I've seen so

far, me included. I've returned the card months ago because I don't believe

this issue will ever be sorted out.

I suggest you do the same and buy an Nvidia card. Or you could buy an RX

6000 card and return it if the problem persists.

Can't wait to use my new 3070.

0 Likes

Dolby Atmoa for Home Theater for Windows is free. Just download the app from the Windows Store. You only have to pay the license for Dolby Atmos for Headphones. I didn’t pay for that because I don’t use headphones unless I’m playing on my Oculus Rift and Windows Sonic is just fine for that. Otherwise, being connected to my receiver, I select Dolby for Windows and in only that will you actually get an Atmos signal of a game supports it. I’ve tested this out with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Oh, I see, when i clicked that before it lead me to the MS Store to download the Dolby App and inside i saw the option to buy something, so i thought i had to pay for a license, i didnt notice the second option to configure an Atmos setup, just downloaded it again and activated it, so far it displays the Dolby logo on screen...

Interesting, i've tried with Flight Sim 2020, before, in most areas the sim would simply be unflyable, audio-wise, constant cuts between 0.5 to 4 seconds long, all the time, probably more silence than audio if you added it up.

Now, instead of getting silent, it "pops", like when you move a dirty jack connector for a headphone, but i doesnt really seem to "drop" like it did before. I can see the audio device "dropping" in the control panel, but it seems to recover much faster than without the Atmos being on, so fast that it just pops and audio continuity is not broken too much.

It's better, for now, i'll have to test more games that where literally unplayable before (Cities: Skylines comes to mind, basically no sound on that one). 

Still not perfect, i would be pissed if it was like that, but given that it's better than what i've been experiencing until now, i guess i can live with it... altough yeah, i'm going to try to return it as soon as the 6000 series are available. Having the audio pop and creak all the time is still unaccepable.

Thanks, BTW, I think i would have never tried that again without you mentioning it!

0 Likes

No problem! And again, I’m pretty sure you have to have Windows in Dolby Atmos in order for a game that supports it to actually be in it. I tried setting Windows in just 5.1 and put Shadow of the Tomb Raider in Windows Spatialization in the game settings and my receiver did not detect an Atmos signal. Only when I put Windows in Atmos was the game in Atmos and my receiver reported it.

0 Likes
rockovissi
Adept II

Well I don’t know about anyone else, but after a year of having to mute Windows and unmute it to get the sound back, or having to wonder why Windows isn’t keeping my audio settings every time I boot my PC and it’s in Stereo and not Dolby Atmos, at this point I’m just keeping an eye on the 6000 series. I’ll be looking at forums for problems because I’m not dealing with this again. It’s not my many HDMI cables and brands that I’ve tried, it’s not my AV receiver, it wasn’t my RX480. I want that 6800XT and hoping there’s no audio issues.

0 Likes
forestdream
Adept I

I tried various ways but the problem kept happening.

Although the problem was not resolved, AMD moved the problem to fixed issue.

This problem is not likely to be solved forever.

Recently I bought nvidia 3070 Founders Edition and will not use AMD card from now on.

0 Likes

i bought a 4k@60hz DP to HDMI cable, but it only displays on my TV at 30hz. 

Its utterly unbelievable AMD have gotten away with this. They've knowingly sold a faulty product, and are lying about it being fixed to avoid the recall. This is nothing short of fraud, what disgusting behaviour. This was my first and last experience with the brand. £350 for a doorstop.  

I've now managed to make a custom resolution for 4k at 60hz in the amd drivers by uninstalling the generic pnp monitor driver windows uses. However, it won't let me make a 1440p 60hz one. Which is what i want to run it at, as my MSI Evoke 5700xt gets to 115c instantly while playing Control.

0 Likes
maxx84
Adept II

so basically this is what happen connecting my 5700xt directly to LG65C9:

AMD High definition audio keeps crashing 

It just randomly crashes saying "the device has been removed" and then it reinstalls itself.

The only way is to connect my 5700XT to my preamp Maranzt AV7702mkii and then the pream to LGC9.. doing so I only experience few audio drops. Or Setting PCM instead of bitstream... and that just sucks. I want to be able to bitstream DD and DTS and all the rest.

It's getting annoying; 1 years later nothing is changed.

I just made an account to say that I've been having the same audio issues with my 5700xt. Audio randomly cuts out and I can't do simple things that I once was able to do, such as listen to Spotify while I'm playing Civ6 (I can only listen to in-game audio, which is baffling to me). How have they not fixed this? Even my old RX 580 was better than this. I felt like I was taking a chance going with AMD again but this is the last time I'll be getting an RX card if they can't fix this.

I have a kinda fix but it is bollocks to be honest has I have to keep changing thing but no lag in audio for Atmos I plug a another in put in to the gpu and so it goes arc from soundbar to DisplayPort and then gpu hdmi to tv then use the soundbar display just for sound and put it to 30hz and it gets rid off the stutter for me 

0 Likes

I also found a workaround, even if it's not ideal. I simply uninstalled AMD's audio driver and am using the High Definition Audio Device as my output device. The downside is that it limits me to just stereo output for now, but that's better than a completely broken setup. Also, dumping AMD's audio drivers also seems to have fixed other things as well. For instance, I had been completely unable to launch Pinball FX3 from Steam. Absolutely nothing worked--not even the suggestions from the developer. But as soon as I uninstalled AMD's driver I could play the game with no issues. Unbelievable. I'll still support AMD by using their CPUs but other than that, I'm done.

0 Likes

I have just registered to report that: 6800 XT also has this nasty  bug! . 

I have been using Vega 64 since day 1 and never had any single audio issue with my Denon AVR plugged via HDMI (5.1  24 Bit/192kHz). 

Upgraded my Vega 64 with a new XFX 6800 XT  (luckily day one again :) ).  But audio dropouts started instantly on HDMI to AVR connections.  5-7 mins later  random audio drops. After searching I have found that 5700 XT was infected with this bug and never fixed. 

It is unacceptable that  newly released product has the same  well known problem.

I have tried everything and got no fix yet.

My setup: 

- Win 10 Latest 

- Latest (it is just the only ) Adrenalin driver

- x370 AM4 mainboard paired with AMD 3950X CPU

- 850W Seasonic Platinum PSU

- Denon AVR-X500

What I have tried :

- Switching to audio driver to MSI Mode and adjusted to "High Priority" (used MSI Mode Utility v3) 

- Used other HDMI cables

- Using an a active  HDMI Switch between 6800 xt and AVR

- Disabled HDMI Assurance &  HDCP via Radeon Software

- Returned to older AMD HD Audio drivers from 2018-2019 era

- Switching to default Microsoft HDMI audio driver. 

- Disabled windows audio enchancements.

I am a long time AMD supporter but I am so confident to say If I knew this issue , it would be a dealbreaker instantly for me. 

@exactly99 

Thanks for sharing this.

May I ask you what's your TV model?

I also was trying to buy a new 6800xt.. but I'll think twice at this point.

Anyway, for those who was saying it could be an HW releated issue; this should confirm that is just an HDMI driver nasty bug.

0 Likes

@maxx84 

My 6800 XT is connected via Display port to 2K 144HZ PC Monitor for displaying purpose. HDMI is used only for getting 5.1 sound out of my PC to AVR.

Tried both multidisplay setup and 1 monitor mimicing with Eyefinity setup but same result.  

PCM Signal is ON and OFF like crazy after a while even with stock Microsoft HDMI audio driver.       

Wow I had earlier commented in another thread that I had not seen this complaint on the 6xxx series yet and now 2 of you confirm it is there too. Thanks for the heads up as this was something I wanted to know as I was considering one of these  GPU for my gaming rig to my TV. This is really troubling to hear that this is still an issue. 

Make sure you guys report the issue to AMD not just to this forum as it is user to user not AMD driver engineers here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

I'd submit it in the bug report from Radeon Settings too.