cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

taurea
Elite

Re: RX5700 and HDMI sound problem

Mhm, looks like a passive adapter. Funny that this should work. I may try purchase a DP-1.2 to HDMI-2.0 active adapter and see if that works.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

CLUB 3D CAC-1080

Is the best one out there IMHO plus the only one I know of that does 60hz HDR as well. 

0 Likes
xsile
Adept I

So how does the display port adapter work? Does it connect to the rx5700xt display port connector then to the receiver, then receiver to Tv?

What bothers me about this is that the HDMI should work. You spend 500 bucks on a card and all the components on that card should work properly. AMD's lack of support on this issue is unacceptable.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I have HDMI cables, DisplayPort cables and conversion cables galore. They all work fine.

I tried my GTX 690 with a DVI to HDMI cable and it does 4K fine.

I use a clean install of windows when testing, this way I can rule out system corruption

0 Likes
kfir
Adept II

I tried with DP-> HDMI passive adapters. The problem persisted, unfortunately.

0 Likes
taurea
Elite

G'day mate.

And even though I still think it should not be my problem to purchase accessories for a GFX I've already payed a large sum of money for, to make it work, I actually bought a DP-->HDMI adapter which is ACTIVE.

I've not yet completed my testing with it, but so far it does actually look like it is working. There is a but, though.

I use my setup for multiple things at the same time, I like playing games while having a movie on my TV at the same time. that's what I do and that's what I want my setup to be able to do, like I've been able to before with other graphics cards.

The BUT with the active adapter is this:

I put a movie on my TV and launch a game on my PC monitor. the movie runs fine for some time, while I play my game and the audio doesn't stutter, hence why I said that the active adapter is working in THAT sence.

BUUUUT, the video is now the problem!! After a short while, the video/image will actually start stuttering and lagging, while the audio is now running fine. So I've traded once problem for another.

It is also important to note that I've seen this problem before, so this is NOT directly related to the adapter. I've just not cared that much about it because the audio-stuttering was always the first thing crap out.

Now that the Audio is "working", the video is the problem.

If I'm NOT playing games, it runs fine, so my guess is this is some sort of driver prioritization thingy thingy where the driver is converting all power the primary monitor (PC game) and leaves nothing left for the TV (2'nd monitor). This even still happens if I run the game in V-sync and don't pull much more then 60-70 watts even though it is good for 200+ watts.

Again, this SCREAMS driver issues !!

I've tried SO many times to get AMD support guys to read this thread, but I've failed...  I posted some of the conversations here in this thread earlier, let me try and find them again...

This is one: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=250&mode=comments#comment-2946271 

and this one is interesting too: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=325&mode=comments#comment-2954448 

And this one: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=350&mode=comments#comment-2955592 

And this: https://community.amd.com/message/2998944?messageTarget=all&start=350&mode=comments#comment-2955820 

0 Likes
yahorse
Journeyman III

The cable I bought had to be 60hz.

0 Likes
supersam85
Journeyman III

But have you tried to install Microsoft audio driver instead the AMD audio ones?

Club 3d dp Port ti HDMI adapter + Microsoft HD audio driver worked for me

0 Likes
xsile
Adept I

I tried this method and still have the issue. After months of researching this issue and consulting with a authorized MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and Sapphire repair outlet called Synnex here in Thailand the repair guy said this is a defect in the 5000 series chip and it is the one commonality all the brands he works on are experiencing. They are now not even bothering to trouble shoot or repair any 5000 series cards in regard to HDMI audio issue and are taking them back for credit as long as they are still within the 3 year warranty period.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

There is little doubt this is a hardware issue. The tech sites beat around the bush about it but don't come right out and say it, they just vaguely say there are hardware issues with Navi that the drivers can't fix. 

AMD should officially announce this to be the case and offer exchanges to those affected for the new cards when they come out IMHO. At the least acknowledge the issue. I can't imagine how much money and time end user have spent loading drivers, swapping hardware, buying adapters and cables even televisions and receivers try to fix an unacknowledged AMD hardware issue.  I just hope it is truly fixed in RDNA2. 

0 Likes